Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jam

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the Paul Weller night on BBC4 a couple of weeks ago? Some good stuff there. The main thing for me is what a class act The jam were, but are somewhat lost in history with Weller reinventing himself every so often. In their day they had a fanatical following, but were dismissed by 'rockers' for their 'Mod' fanbase. Yet a lot of the songs are weapons grade Rock.

Some of my favourites

And more cowbell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to agree some cracking stuck in 78/79 esp.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

Damn, didn't hear about that! :mad:

The Jam were a class act alright... Strange Town, Pretty Green, Private Hell and Down in the Tubestation at Midnight are other great ones by them.

Plus, Eton Rifles has to have one of the best openings ever:

"Sup up your beer and collect your fags
    There's a row going on down near Slough.
    Get out your mat and pray to the West.
    I'll get out mine and pray for myself."

They don't write em like that anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I was 1 when they spilt up but they are one of my fave bands alongside Metallica and Black Sabbath. All that 'mod' label stuff is sh1t, listen to music if it moves you not because of what people wear.

'Setting Sons' is my fave album by The Jam. The version of 'Smithers Jones' with just vocal and strings is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Rockee wrote: »
    I was 1 when they spilt up but they are one of my fave bands alongside Metallica and Black Sabbath. All that 'mod' label stuff is sh1t, listen to music if it moves you not because of what people wear.

'Setting Sons' is my fave album by The Jam. The version of 'Smithers Jones' with just vocal and strings is lovely.

Totally agree here, I was 13 when they split, but Music was extremely divisive back then with kids moving into a particular genre of Music such as Ska, Mod, Punk, Teds etc and sticking with it like a religion. As a rock fan it took me quite some time to get into The Jam and The Who because of the Mod label, shame on me.

Setting sons is class, as well as sound affects and the gift

Good call on smither jones, haven't heard it in a while

Advertisement