Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N900 or N97

• 02-12-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've had the N95 8gb for the past two years(loved it and never had a problem with it). However, i would like to upgrade.

I've played around with the N97 and love its interface. But then I stumbled across the N900 and from what I've read it looks like a better phone.

I'm not a bill paying customer and therefore i would like to get it ready to go. I'm with O2.

Whats the realistice release date for it here in Ireland, and where could I get it?

Also, is there a bill pay plan that would give me unlimited free texts messages to any network and also include a internet data plan?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

N900, from what i've heard it blows everything else out of the water.

N97 from what i've heard is a bit meh, just powerful marketing from nokia for an average phone at best.

You should be able to order it now from nokia.

N900 thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055585686&page=32&highlight=N900

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    N900, from what i've heard it blows everything else out of the water.

N97 from what i've heard is a bit meh, just powerful marketing from nokia for an average phone at best.

You should be able to order it now from nokia.

N900 thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055585686&page=32&highlight=N900

Nokia in the UK? Will it be unbranded? I'd prefer an unbranded model.

I'm sure you can get an unbranded model if you order it straight from nokia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You're buying it from Nokia, there's no question of it being branded.

Thanks guys. Its still only on preorder from nokia.co.uk though. Sure that could mean jan or even feb knowing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055753503 about differences between the phones.

i only know meteor have a like €85/month unlimited calls/texts with a data bundle.

i asked the same question about a month ago, and ended up bying the N97 for now. keep it for a few months until the kinks (and more importantely the price) of the N900 is sorted.
    then a week after they said there starting to ship them :)... but still havnt.

samhail wrote: »
    check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055753503 about differences between the phones.

i only know meteor have a like €85/month unlimited calls/texts with a data bundle.

i asked the same question about a month ago, and ended up bying the N97 for now. keep it for a few months until the kinks (and more importantely the price) of the N900 is sorted.
    then a week after they said there starting to ship them :)... but still havnt.

is that bundle only for calls and texts to meteor network...or all networks? IGB per month is fine for general browsing on the phone?

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/price_plans/#bill_pay_max
    its for all networks. 1GB is more than enough for general browsing.
    I have a 250mb bundle and i am more than happy with it.

the only reason i post this is because i looked into this when i was considering upgrading... but thats way out of my usage so stuck with a much lower tariff.

Yeah. I would consider going with that meteor bill pay option if I got the N900. €85 per month for all calls and texts with 1GB data sounds very good. I presume the meteor covergage is fairly decent along with the network?

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/price_plans/#bill_pay_max
    its for all networks. 1GB is more than enough for general browsing.
    I have a 250mb bundle and i am more than happy with it.

the only reason i post this is because i looked into this when i was considering upgrading... but thats way out of my usage so stuck with a much lower tariff.

Should be mentioned that the 1GB is for GPRS browsing and 3G and stuff, you can still download your movies, watch youtube, and all high consumption stuff on your Wi-Fi Connection.

• Advertisement

thats the thing.
    Meteor are just rolling out their 3G coverage and its only available in a hand ful of places
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/
    roscommon isnt covered it looks like.

and you would want 3g coverage with a data bundle. too slow without it. imo.

thats the thing.
    Meteor are just rolling out their 3G coverage and its only available in a hand ful of places
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/
    roscommon isnt covered it looks like.

and you would want 3g coverage with a data bundle. too slow without it. imo.

Was always going to be some sort of fecking catch :(! I presume this will be sorted in the future though?

Still mad to get the N900 anyways as I've wanted a decent smartphone for ages. I'm not very technicall minded when i comes to phones, so thats why I like boards so much :)

go into a local phone shop, car phone ware house and ask them what kind of 3g coverage there is. vodafone might be alot better.

as DOC09UNAM said, i only use that when im out of the house (in dublin where there is 3g coverage). i have the wifi at home.

Was always going to be some sort of fecking catch :(! I presume this will be sorted in the future though?

Still mad to get the N900 anyways as I've wanted a decent smartphone for ages. I'm not very technicall minded when i comes to phones, so thats why I like boards so much :)

If you're not going to use it to its fullest potential, you should just buy the cheaper of the two, they both the same cool simple stuff, N900 is just a step ahead on some advanced sh!t.

have vodaone the same price plan regarding unlimited calls and texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

have vodaone the same price plan regarding unlimited calls and texts?

They did, it was €99 a month iirc. I think it has been replaced with a plan for €99 with 700mins+700texts + 2GB data

Davy wrote: »
    They did, it was €99 a month iirc. I think it has been replaced with a plan for €99 with 700mins+700texts + 2GB data

is there a site that I could compare the different price plans for o2, voda and meteor?
    Obviously I'd want a data package if I got n900.

is there a site that I could compare the different price plans for o2, voda and meteor?
    Obviously I'd want a data package if I got n900.

Well their is the callcosts.ie site, but it wouldn't be that great.

looks like the N900 won't be available until Jan anyways...from what Ive read on other threads. Nokia.co.uk don't ship to Rep Ire?

Its shipping this week, but they dont ship to ROI

• Advertisement

so how/when/where would we be able to get it?

so how/when/where would we be able to get it?

Other places that site here, should have ready to ship very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

I presume the meteor covergage is fairly decent along with the network?

3G coverage on Vodafone and 02 isn't good enough. If it's insufficient on the two main networks, i don't know what you could expect on Meteor.

Hard Resets.....what exactly does this mean? I keep reading about it relating to smartphones.

:(is it also true that you cannot use the text function in portrait view?? This is pure silly if thats the case. Only been able to use the phone in portrait view makes no sense.

Hard Resets.....what exactly does this mean? I keep reading about it relating to smartphones.

Wipes everything from the phone. A soft reset will just wipe the C: drive. So if you have images, music or whatever on the mass memory, or E: drive whatever you want to call it, they will be ok with a 'soft' reset.

:(is it also true that you cannot use the text function in portrait view?? This is pure silly if thats the case. Only been able to use the phone in portrait view makes no sense.

It is true out of the box. A program could be developed from someone though in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

IIRC, most N900 functions only work in landscape, but a future firmware update will supposedly resolve this.

xanthor wrote: »
    IIRC, most N900 functions only work in landscape, but a future firmware update will supposedly resolve this.

So if you wanted to text a msg...you would have to use the tactile keyboard in landscape mode? Defeats the purpose of touch screen does'nt it????

Also, the one big factor that will tilt the scale as to wheather or not I buy the N900...is the ability to group my contact list so that I can group text them.

This is something which is essential to my line of work and one that the N95 8GB that I currently have enables me to do.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the N900?

I think grouping is a basic telephone function and if it was not available on the n900....I'd be forced to buy the N97 simply because of its omission :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

This is something which is essential to my line of work and one that the N95 8GB that I currently have enables me to do.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the N900?

Yes it is.

I wouldn't buy a N900 at the moment to be honest with yah... i'll let all the guiney pigs with their pre-orders get them sorted and see if theres any troubles or bugs with them first!! :pac:

Advertisement