Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N900 or N97

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

rizzee wrote: »
    Yes it is.

I wouldn't buy a N900 at the moment to be honest with yah... i'll let all the guiney pigs with their pre-orders get them sorted and see if theres any troubles or bugs with them first!! :pac:

you mean that you can create groups to send group texts to?? I read reports that it was not possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'm pretty sure mate, i'll double check for you tommorow afternoon, have a few links here somewhere :)

Seems fairly standard though, don't you think?

rizzee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure mate, i'll double check for you tommorow afternoon, have a few links here somewhere :)

Seems fairly standard though, don't you think?

I would have presumed that a function like that would be "very" standard on most modern phones...never mind the n900! I know the n900 is more a computer than a phone at this stage, but if they go neglecting basic telephone functions then they might as well retire :)

Cheers for the replies mate and I'll check back here tomorrow to see what you found re: grouping of contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i don't think group contacts are supported yet. There are limitations on the phone functions that anyone looking to buy should know. I'll try to post a list later when i'm at a pc

Ok, heres the list I know of so far. If any of these are something you regurarly need then the N900 isn't the device for you (yet)

* contact grouping \ individual ringtones for contacts
    Not supported but there does seem to be alot of requests for it, so it will probably be added in the future

* Portrait mode
    At the moment only the dialler supports it. Other apps can add it as they want (even now) but it's limited e.g. No on-screen keyboard in portrait etc. I think better support is planned for the next firmware update, which is due before christmas

* USSD codes i.e. *#
    These aren't supported now but apparently it is being worked on at the moment

* MMS
    Not supported yet. There is community discussions about how to get it working. I haven't seen anything about what Nokia plan for it is.

*Video calls
    Not supported. Apparently planned for a future update

matrim wrote: »
    i don't think group contacts are supported yet. There are limitations on the phone functions that anyone looking to buy should know. I'll try to post a list later when i'm at a pc

Ok, heres the list I know of so far. If any of these are something you regurarly need then the N900 isn't the device for you (yet)

* contact grouping \ individual ringtones for contacts
    Not supported but there does seem to be alot of requests for it, so it will probably be added in the future

* Portrait mode
    At the moment only the dialler supports it. Other apps can add it as they want (even now) but it's limited e.g. No on-screen keyboard in portrait etc. I think better support is planned for the next firmware update, which is due before christmas

* USSD codes i.e. *#
    These aren't supported now but apparently it is being worked on at the moment

* MMS
    Not supported yet. There is community discussions about how to get it working. I haven't seen anything about what Nokia plan for it is.

*Video calls
    Not supported. Apparently planned for a future update

Ah here, complete joke if they release it without these functions already on it. The no grouping function alone is the only reason I won't be buying this phone...
    Why can't Nokia just keep the telephone side of things the way they usually are?

I use the group function 90% of the time I text....texting out a text to over 100 numbers twice a week individually does not seem a very attractive option with this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Ah here, complete joke if they release it without these functions already on it. The no grouping function alone is the only reason I won't be buying this phone...
    Why can't Nokia just keep the telephone side of things the way they usually are?

I use the group function 90% of the time I text....texting out a text to over 100 numbers twice a week individually does not seem a very attractive option with this phone.

Does Vodafone's online messaging system have option of group texting??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sorry, there is no group SMS. I must've been reading something else.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Does Vodafone's online messaging system have option of group texting??

no idea. Am with o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Look at the N97 Mini, it's the newer version of the N97 which ironed out all the hardware bugs of the original N97. The only drawback is the 3.2 inch screen compared to 3.5 and 8Gb storage instead of 32Gb. Otoh you get better RAM, mature firmware out-of-the-box, and better build quality

The N900 is an Internet Tablet that had the phone functionality added to it. The Maemo operating system family it uses has only been used for Tablets up to now, and that's why a lot of the basic phone functions are missing. They'll be added later, but knowing Nokia it will take at least 6 months to a year before it has a relatively mature phone system in it.

Having said that, I'm waiting on my pre-ordered N900, and fully expect it to be the greatest shiny toy I've ever owned

Look at the N97 Mini, it's the newer version of the N97 which ironed out all the hardware bugs of the original N97. The only drawback is the 3.2 inch screen compared to 3.5 and 8Gb storage instead of 32Gb. Otoh you get better RAM, mature firmware out-of-the-box, and better build quality

The N900 is an Internet Tablet that had the phone functionality added to it. The Maemo operating system family it uses has only been used for Tablets up to now, and that's why a lot of the basic phone functions are missing. They'll be added later, but knowing Nokia it will take at least 6 months to a year before it has a relatively mature phone system in it.

Having said that, I'm waiting on my pre-ordered N900, and fully expect it to be the greatest shiny toy I've ever owned

Yeah I think i'll go with the N97 for now and if the N900 does add these other functions then I'll switch over.

is teh mini really that much better than the N97? would installing the latest firmware v2 on the N97 not take away all the bugs?

How much is the mini btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It depends on what you want, this is a completly new platform and will take time to get all the features up and running. Nokia have never denied that and all this info is out there so you know what you get if you spend the 500 euro on it.

If the N900 doesn't have what you want go for a Symbian phone which has all these features.

Of the missing features the only one I really want is portrait mode which will probably be out in the next month.

Contact Groups - I've never used this
    MMS - I use about once a year
    USSD - Last time I used this was about a year or two ago

So every user has his own requirments and it's up to you to decide which suit you.

New FW sorts out most of the N97 problems, I've heard, but if you go for a network branded phone you'll be waiting for them to cripple "customise" the FW before pushing it out to your phone.

There's a good comparison of the 2 phones on AllAboutSymbian here - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Nokia_N97N97_mini_part_3-Camera_Multimedia_and_wrap-up.php (that's Part3 of the review but it's got the wrap-up in it, and links to Part 1 and 2)

based on that I'd definitely go for the mini myself

yeah true!

So where stocks an unbranded N97 mini? I'm with O2 on ready to go and want to stay that way at present.

Ah, there's a problem - not too sure about O2. Vodafone have the Mini alright, and it's a bit cheaper than the original N97, but I don't know if O2 have plans to pick it up yet

Sorry, answered the wrong question there - you want an unbranded one. Expansys sell them here - http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=187375

But that does seem like a ridiculous price... not sure where else has them. Maybe Carphone Warehouse?

On the other hand, an alternative solution to the grouping problem, would be to get the N900 and then when I have to send out a group text(twice a week)...which over my sim to my current N95 8gb and use it that way............:D

I used to be on O2 a few years ago and IIRC there was a way to set up groups on the webtext. If that's still there another option would be to use the N900 Browser and send your group texts through O2.ie - even saving you a bit of money along the way!

I used to be on O2 a few years ago and IIRC there was a way to set up groups on the webtext. If that's still there another option would be to use the N900 Browser and send your group texts through O2.ie - even saving you a bit of money along the way!

Very good Idea! Wouuld be interested to see if that would be available. I have the free text bundle with them anyways as I send about 300 groups texts per week, so I make use out of them.

Would it be possible to use my free text bundle like you said online with O2 to send out my group texts?

Looks like Group texting is still supported there and you can use your 250 free Webtext allowance for it as well -

We've added a great range of new features:
    • Send 1000 Characters
    • Save sent Webtexts
    • Send a Webtext in any language to any country
    • Group and individual Webtexts are used from your 250 free text allowance
    • Delivery status in your "Sent Webtext" folder
    Should be easy to manage using the N900 browser

Advertisement