Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on first RTR Electric RC Car

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey guys/gals,

I'm asking santa for a RC Car this year. As the thread title suggests, i'm looking for a RTR (Ready to Run) Electric RC Car, in the €150-200 price range.

I've checked out a few sites and the amount of cars they have is overwhelming. I've no idea what to be looking for. I don't mind if it's a car or a buggy, and it's just for indoor/outdoor playing around.

As i said, i'm looking for something decent enough, with the possiblity of being able to upgrade it in the future. Again, i've checked out a good few online sites and they have about 20 cars in the category i'm looking for, so i'm lost.

Thanks all!!

P.S. I was gonna go for the "HPI Brama 10B RTR Buggy", but i read that the build quality isn't the best. Oh, and here's Modelsport.co.uk's ebay shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fallaci

are you going off- or on-road?
    If you're from Dublin pop in to boystoys - you can look what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Traxxas 1/16 short course truck rtr Little smaller then the 1/10 hpi buggy but its got everything , radio battery and charger

Tamiya plasma buggy

Traxxas Bandit

Traxxas Short course truck

Few i picked out from modelsport that may be of some use, I saw one of the traxxas short course truck running at the weekend and it seemed quick good durable. Be my pick anyways.

If this was me I'd go for traxxas 1/16 e-revo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

fallaci wrote: »
    If this was me I'd go for traxxas 1/16 e-revo

brushless ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dan_eire

Ok, i went for the HBX Surge Brushless Truggy. Got it for €225 inc delivery.

Please tell me it was a good choice! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Dan, never heard of HBX but that looks like a decent truggy for what you intend to do with it, might be a bit big for indoor use tho. Brushless is the way to go even just from a maintainance point of view as there is none.

The reason the cars suggested above are part of a combo deal is that if you don't already have a charger and battery(s) you will need to buy them just to get going, these don't come with RC gear at this level

Thanks fuzzy. Anyone else have any views or pros/cons on my purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Buggy looks fine, solid looking machine. hope you enjoy it now.

Like Fuzzy i too have never heard of HBX. So long as parts are available for it when you need them then it should be good. The only reason i kinda stuck to the makes i picked are because parts for the likes of Tamyia, Hpi, Traxxas, Associated and Kyosho are more available over the net, can be better for getting good prices on parts.

Mugen

Never heard of HBX meself either. Did a quick Google on it and not too much info coming up either. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Personally I would've gone for the 1/16 brushless e-Revo (works out pretty much the same with a $60 voucher, shipping & VAT factored in), but that's me.

thanks t-maxx, will do. sure if i really get into it, i can always upgrade the motor and get a lipo battery to beef things up, right?

• Advertisement

T-maxx what's the story with this voucher??? I'm thinking about mini revo myself :)

T-maxx what's the story with this voucher??? I'm thinking about mini revo myself :)

If you're an existing Tower Hobbies customer, they send you coupon codes every once in a while, for instance code 016jd will get you $60 off an order of $250-299.99.

The codes are e-mail address specific, but give it a go anyway.

Ah, all right. Thanks
    edit: yea, that code works only with your e-mail. I wonder I didn't get it :(

is it possible to put drift tyres on a 4wd truggy, or is it just limited to onroad cars?

sure, but it's good to have rear diff locked

sure, but it's good to have rear diff locked

ye see, i'm that much of a noob when it comes to rc, i don't even know what rear diff is. i know it's rear differential... think it's off to google with me, to find myself an rc tutorial! :o

if any of you guys know any good "rc for dummies" guides out there, let me know, thanks

my rc arrived yesterday, here's a pic of the inside (taken on my crappy camera phone)

Advertisement