Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Noise flash demo against CP Bill

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭

http://lgbtnoise.ie/?p=1383

Hi All,

NOISE Flash Demo

When: Thursday 3rd December. 6pm.

Where: Dáil Éireann, Kildare St.

Why : As you may have hear,d the Civil Partnership Bill has been scheduled to be discussed in the Dáil on Thursday 3rd December. (http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=13528&&CatID=60)

Noise intends to hold a ‘Flash Demo’ on this day (http://lgbtnoise.ie/?p=1285)

While the Civil Partnership bill might represent solace for some members of our community who will avail of the limited rights within the bill , the demo will protest that Ireland’s LGBT community are being forced into a position where we must participate in our own discrimination by accepting, out of necessity, the measures contained within the bill. Furthermore, the demo will highlight some of the gaping deficiencies in the bill such as the the complete lack of any rights for - indeed, any mention of - gay parents and their children. We need to continuously remind the Government that they have not done enough until they have actually granted us full equality. As equal citizens, we should have equal access to the fundamental rights of citizenship, including the right to civil marriage.

The demo is an opportunity for the lgbt community to come together quickly to make our feelings known directly- by chanting and through our visibility - to our elected representatives. NOISE will be inviting the TDs and Senators of the Dáil to mix with the demo to better understand why Civil Partnership is not good enough for our community or for our children.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just a reminder

This is on at 6pm tomorrow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I went along to this today. There were good speakers and speeches, and lots of enthusiasm, given the wintry day. I'd say there were about 200 there (although my accuracy in estimating crowd numbers is generally poor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

i was at it too, David Norris was gas.

Advertisement