Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Pay Deal - Teachers staggering days off!!

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bid-to-stagger-teachers-leave-for-minimal-impact-1960634.html

The fact that Cowan rolled over for the unions has me pretty p*ssed off but the above article really took the biscuit.

Apart from holding the country to ransom because the wages have to be reduced due to there being no money to pay them they now want to take their 12 days during the school year! Not a mention of taking the 12 unpaid days off during the months of holidays they get paid for at the taxpayers expense.

Surely they're taking the p*ss? Right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bid-to-stagger-teachers-leave-for-minimal-impact-1960634.html

The fact that Cowan rolled over for the unions has me pretty p*ssed off but the above article really took the biscuit.

Apart from holding the country to ransom because the wages have to be reduced due to there being no money to pay them they now want to take their 12 days during the school year! Not a mention of taking the 12 unpaid days off during the months of holidays they get paid for at the taxpayers expense.

It gets worse... They get paid MORE MONEY during the summer for correcting state exam papers, 60 Euro per paper, IN ADDITION to getting paid their teachers salaries while they are on a 3 month holiday... There are not words in the English language to describe the selfishness and pure unbridled greed of the teachers in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You sound surprised? They obviously need these extra days off to get the most out of those apartments in Bulgaria and Spain and their holiday homes in the country. Apart from the few months in summer and mid-terms and xmas and easter they are lying empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Teachers don't get paid during the summer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It gets worse... They get paid MORE MONEY during the summer for correcting state exam papers, 60 Euro per paper, IN ADDITION to getting paid their teachers salaries while they are on a 3 month holiday... There are not words in the English language to describe the selfishness and pure unbridled greed of the teachers in this country...

Where do you get some of your information from??? I'd love to know what subject teachers get paid €60 per paper to correct!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

mickeyk wrote: »
    You sound surprised? They obviously need these extra days off to get the most out of those apartments in Bulgaria and Spain and their holiday homes in the country. Apart from the few months in summer and mid-terms and xmas and easter they are lying empty.

Sorry my bad, i had forgotten all about that!! Here was me thinking they actually gave a sh*t about the kids they thought!

Won't be so naive in future :D

• Advertisement

Teachers don't get paid during the summer.....

Permanent full time teachers get paid a full salary every month whether they are on holidays or not...

littlebsci wrote: »
    Where do you get some of your information from??? I'd love to know what subject teachers get paid €60 per paper to correct!!

I was told this by a teacher, they get paid 60 Euro a paper to correct a leaving cert paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Where i do strongly believe that some teachers out there should not be in a position of teaching children, I do believe that there are a few genuine ones who do teach for the love of the job.

On that note the extra allowances that some teachers get are a bit ridculous and I must say their salary is very good. However not all public servants are on the one salary so where there are good salaries there are also crap ones! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It gets worse... They get paid MORE MONEY during the summer for correcting state exam papers, 60 Euro per paper, IN ADDITION to getting paid their teachers salaries while they are on a 3 month holiday

IMO, this should be mandatory for all senior teachers. If you choose not to mark, you should be docked and whoever takes up the slack gets paid the extra. Why are we paying them extra in the summer TO DO LESS WORK??

I was told this by a teacher, they get paid 60 Euro a paper to correct a leaving cert paper.

I think you'll find that that just counts as hearsay. The rate differs for every subject and level, both at Junior and Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that that just counts as hearsay. The rate differs for every subject and level, both at Junior and Leaving Cert.

Littlebsci are you a teacher? If so what is the general feeling in the teaching profession about taking these 12 days off during the school year?

Are teachers patting themselves on the back about further hampering the development of children within our school system?

Whatever the rate, which I'm sure differs from exam type (leaving cert/junior cert), to subject, etc, I think we can agree that they DO GET PAID FOR CORRECTING EXAM PAPERS!!!

Now whether it is 30 Euro, 40 Euro or 60 Euro, I don't know, I just know what I was told. The salient point is that they do get paid for it, and they also get paid for doing nothing while they are on a 3 month summer holiday, what in the name of Jasus is all that about???

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Where i do strongly believe that some teachers out there should not be in a position of teaching children, I do believe that there are a few genuine ones who do teach for the love of the job.

On that note the extra allowances that some teachers get are a bit ridculous and I must say their salary is very good. However not all public servants are on the one salary so where there are good salaries there are also crap ones! :)
    While I agree i think that teachers who teach for the love of the job wouldnt need the big salary and perks to be drawn to the profession. In my view the salary and perks in the job mean that we have too many people taking up teaching related 3rd level courses in the hope of getting on the gravy train. We are training too many teachers and the result is thousands of them will be on the dole queue every year scraping by on a days subbing here and there in the hope of getting a full time job. We all know people who were drawn to teaching for the holidays etc. We are told that the IT and pharma and other high end sectors are our future, where is the incentive for school leavers to take these courses at third level? There is none yet the gov keeps rattling on about creating a smart economy. All school leavers now see is 500k people on the dole and teachers and other PS secure as houses with well paid jobs, which would you choose?

Littlebsci are you a teacher? If so what is the general feeling in the teaching profession about taking these 12 days off during the school year?

Are teachers patting themselves on the back about further hampering the development of children within our school system?

You know when you see Mc Loone, a public sector FAILURE, standing outside government buildings grinning like a Cheshire cat, that Joe public will be asked to empty his/her pockets again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

My dads a teacher and he's pissed.
    He never wanted to strike,
    But he felt he had every right to protest.

Why?
    Because for his qualifications all his mates were off during the boom earning much much more then him. They laughed at him when they were getting their bonuses etc... He got none of this. He planned ahead, he predicted the economy would crash. So he went for job security.

Now hes being punished for his choice, even do he never got to benefit then with bonuses etc... and hes losing his benefits now.

His words not mine.

Hell my mate gets an 8% bonus THIS christmass, works for a bank...
    AND makes 15 euro an hour, double time on sunday and has absolutely no qualifications and answers phones for a living...

Rediculous...

You know when you see Mc Loone, a public sector FAILURE, standing outside government buildings grinning like a Cheshire cat, that Joe public will be asked to empty his/her pockets again...

True.. the papers are saying the 12 days will generate €800m while other reports put it in the region of €300m, where is the rest coming from??

I don't think my pockets are deep enough :(

Yes I am a teacher and quite frankly I'd prefer if we just had to take a pay cut as it might (only might though!!!) get some of the people baying for our blood off our backs.

Also as a teacher it is such a pain in the ass to have to take personal days at all that I don't fancy the hassle of being forced to take unpaid leave during the year. In my opinion, what will more than likely happen is that many (many) teachers won't bother taking the days allocated and will just take the hit on the salary.

Don't take that to mean though that I feel we should be forced to take them during the summer. That is simply a pay cut and should be declared as such!

Don't be so smug as to suggest that we would be "patting ourselves on the back" about any of this. The majority of us realise we are probably going to have to take a hit. Naturally we don't want to. How many people ever want to take a pay cut, lose jobs etc??? But I know I've just accepted it. (I think my parents are going to have to too.....they'll probably get stuck with me at home for even longer than anticipated now) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

muboop1 wrote: »

Why?
    Because for his qualifications all his mates were off during the boom earning much much more then him. They laughed at him when they were getting their bonuses etc... He got none of this. He planned ahead, he predicted the economy would crash. So he went for job security.

Now hes being punished for his choice, even do he never got to benefit then with bonuses etc... and hes losing his benefits now.

His words not mine.

AND makes 15 euro an hour, double time on sunday and has absolutely no qualifications and answers phones for a living...

Rediculous...

Where does he work?
    I got an Xmas bonus once in the last 6 years (it was worth €39.99)

I don't know one single person getting bonuses (outside of a Sales role)

Whatever the rate, which I'm sure differs from exam type (leaving cert/junior cert), to subject, etc, I think we can agree that they DO GET PAID FOR CORRECTING EXAM PAPERS!!!

Now whether it is 30 Euro, 40 Euro or 60 Euro, I don't know, I just know what I was told. The salient point is that they do get paid for it, and they also get paid for doing nothing while they are on a 3 month summer holiday, what in the name of Jasus is all that about???

It's nowhere near that amount! If it was we'd all be queuing up to do it for God's sake!

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Where does he work?
    I got an Xmas bonus once in the last 6 years (it was worth €39.99)

I don't know one single person getting bonuses (outside of a Sales role)

Permanent TSB. The call center in Blackrock.
    It's written into his contract apparently. He has to get 8% of what he earns over the year. If he earned 100k he would get 8k etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Because for his qualifications all his mates were off during the boom earning much much more then him. They laughed at him when they were getting their bonuses etc...

Why is this bull**** cliché wheeled out all the time ? I've always worked in the private sector and have yet to receive a Christmas bonus.

Why?

His words not mine.

Rediculous...

Don't take offence but i assume you are at least 18 or so and your dad has been working since before you were born? By that it seems your dad predicted the economy would crash before the economy even took off but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Also teachers get paid an hourly rate a lot greater than €15/hr and before any teacher starts giving out about that... do the maths ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Jip wrote: »
    Why is this bull**** cliché wheeled out all the time ?

hmm...yes i wonder....you certainly never see clichés about public servants here.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭johnp23

Why?

His words not mine.

Rediculous...

Does this friend of yours get a 3 month Paid holiday ...........................

Didnt think so. Teachers just like all public sector and private sector workers need to cope on The good times are over everyone needs to pull up there socks and be counted and pay for there piece of the pie it doesnt mattter if you ate if or not. The first thing should be the Public sector pension that should be gone completely if you want a pension pay for it yourself. I didnt buy a house during the boom i didnt buy a fancy car in good times i just pottered on rented and that was that. Now i have to pay and income levy to pay for some private sector banker to stay in his job or for some public sector pen pusher to sit behind a desk and do SFA.

PS all unions and there so called boards should be disbanded. Just my tupence worth

Yes I am a teacher and quite frankly I'd prefer if we just had to take a pay cut as it might (only might though!!!) get some of the people baying for our blood off our backs.

Also as a teacher it is such a pain in the ass to have to take personal days at all that I don't fancy the hassle of being forced to take unpaid leave during the year. In my opinion, what will more than likely happen is that many (many) teachers won't bother taking the days allocated and will just take the hit on the salary.

Don't take that to mean though that I feel we should be forced to take them during the summer. That is simply a pay cut and should be declared as such!

Don't be so smug as to suggest that we would be "patting ourselves on the back" about any of this. The majority of us realise we are probably going to have to take a hit. Naturally we don't want to. How many people ever want to take a pay cut, lose jobs etc??? But I know I've just accepted it. (I think my parents are going to have to too.....they'll probably get stuck with me at home for even longer than anticipated now) :rolleyes:

I would be as smug as to say your putting your own financial gain over the welfare and future of the kids you claim to love teaching!!

Don't take offence but i assume you are at least 18 or so and your dad has been working since before you were born? By that it seems your dad predicted the economy would crash before the economy even took off but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Also teachers get paid an hourly rate a lot greater than €15/hr and before any teacher starts giving out about that... do the maths ;)
    qualified substitute teachers get over 50 euro an hour. It varies for permanent people with lenght of service but its sure alot more than 15 euro per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MI5

Hi, are you primary or secondary?
    If secondary, I would like to hear your views on the "free class" syndrome which seems so prevalent in some schools at least.
    The secondary where my kids go is an absolute joke. Seems like the average number of free classes is about 8 per week, for one lame duck reason or another.
    Another question. Have you ever seen a teacher properly diciplined for below par performance.
    For example ..... teacher with pretty bad alcohol dependency problem. Missing classes, smell on breadth, poor general achievement by students in this teachers subjects.

MI5

Dont mistake me for a child, I'm in my final year of college doing an engineering degree, so im a good few years older then 18.

I'm also entering into the private sector.

Im not nieve at all tbh. I know teachers get paid well. But difference is i think rightly so.

15 an hour isnt bad pay for the job they perform. Getting a bonus on top of that is rediculous. Banks claim to not have money and borrow off government then they pay bonuses? So he at the bottom rung gets 8%, what do his superiors get etc...

Ill be honest, teachers get paid whatever, and if it cant be paid then there should be a cut. But no so long as the government is supporting paying bonues to banks!

mickeyk wrote: »
    qualified substitute teachers get over 50 euro an hour. It varies for permanent people with lenght of service but its sure alot more than 15 euro per hour.

I agree that is ridiculous. But thats not what my point was at all.
    15 an hour for bottom rung in his first year isn't bad. My problem is the bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭johnp23

I agree that is ridiculous. But thats not what my point was at all.
    15 an hour for bottom rung in his first year isn't bad. My problem is the bonus!

Is he doing his job as per what his job spec says. If so he is entitled to the Bonus. The Irish Goverment own most of the Irish banks so there the ones to blame they can make the decision to defer the bonus but there not.

Advertisement