Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Pay Deal - Teachers staggering days off!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Here we go again:rolleyes:

This is the first I've seen of that Independent article and the first most teachers have heard of taking this unpaid leave. Of course, the Indo has taken a good undetailed slant on something that may come out of the talks and ran with it, and now boards is full of outrage.

The negotiations were for all public servants, teachers didn't know how this was going to work out for them. At the moment, we cannot take unpaid days off, they're hardly going to let us walk out of school any day we feel like it, get real!

I'm heading to my union meeting now to find out what the hell is going on. The likelihood is that an hour will be tagged onto our working week (resulting in inevitable job losses).

As for the person who heard:
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    They get paid MORE MONEY during the summer for correcting state exam papers, 60 Euro per paper

Someone was pulling your leg mate! The highest paid papers are HL LC English and Irish €32 (less 42% tax). They have to pay that rate to get people to do it. Whether you think it's right or wrong, there's no need to post inaccurate facts to make your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Yeah life is unfair. Well noted. Presuming you had your eyes open, you would also have known that architects generally work in the private sector and are subject to the market, while teachers are public sector workers with more or less a 100% job security.

I always wonder at the level of hostility to teachers out there. Sure, like all jobs, a fair whack of people doing it are crap, incompetent and don't really care. But why subject them to a pay cut and no-one else?

I don't remember all this job security talk when they were striking over benchmarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

deemark wrote: »
    :

Someone was pulling your leg mate! The highest paid papers are HL LC English and Irish €32 (less 42% tax). They have to pay that rate to get people to do it. Whether you think it's right or wrong, there's no need to post inaccurate facts to make your point.
    I think the point some people have made here is that it would surely not be unreasonable to expect them to carry out this work as part of their contracts. They are off anyway, either on a rotation or lottery system, meaning they would only have to di it every few years. same with exam supervision and so on. It will never happen but IMO it should as their hols are extremely generous so asking them to do a bit extra for a few weeks every couple of years is more than fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Qs wrote: »
    I don't remember all this job security talk when they were striking over benchmarking.

I don't remember anybody striking over benchmarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

RedPlanet wrote: »
    If the political will exists, we could have schools running all year long.
    We don't.
    I'm not sure the reasons why.

I would hazard a guess that the reasons would be the response of the teachers unions and the €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ signs attached to their list of demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

The last I heard in the 12 days will be taken over the next 3 years.
    This would mean 4 days a year. At the moment teachers can take 3 days for doing a summer course.
    Just posting the buzz at a union meeting.
    Will be great fun when they discover next year we still have no money....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

muboop1 wrote: »
    Now hes being punished for his choice, even do he never got to benefit then with bonuses etc... and hes losing his benefits now.

The fact that the public sector do not see the increases they received in benchmarking as "bonuses" says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

lily09 wrote: »
    This would mean 4 days a year. At the moment teachers can take 3 days for doing a summer course.

That's only primary schools. Secondary teachers don't get this. ASTI members can take personal days, TUI can't.

Anyway, by the sound of Cowan, he's just poured cold water on the whole thing.

Union meeting wasn't enlightening. Nobody knows what's going on. It's all speculation at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

poor chaps those teachers, where can i sign up to do a direct debit to help sponsor these guys salaries?( there must be something similar to sponsor a third world family for teachers? ) may as well do it now and cancel it when it'll be taken in tax to pay for them in the next few years.

Advertisement