Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book please?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am due to start a masters in software engineering next September. I have been advised that there is a lot of linux scripting and C on the course. I am a complete noob when it comes to linux and I have never studied C (although I have studied java).

Can anyone recommend any good books for linux scripting or C please?

edit: I just found a great Linux tutorial online but book recommendations are still more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Note sure about the Linux end, re C, Deitel & Deitel's C++ texts were always good, their C one seems to be well reviewed too.

This is the latest edition, which appears to be far from cheap - a 2nd hand copy of an older edition might be an idea.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Program-Deitel/dp/0136123562

That said, there's large amounts of online material for C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Note sure about the Linux end, re C, Deitel & Deitel's C++ texts were always good, their C one seems to be well reviewed too.

This is the latest edition, which appears to be far from cheap - a 2nd hand copy of an older edition might be an idea.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Program-Deitel/dp/0136123562

That said, there's large amounts of online material for C.

Whoa! You're not kidding! I'll keep an eye out for a cheaper previous edition. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For C, there can be only one:
    41jZJq0HMcL.jpg

For scripting, any unix scripting book or tutorial will do (there's not really any such thing as linux-specific scripting in this context, it's all either csh or bash scripting really).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Sparks wrote: »
    41jZJq0HMcL.jpg
    I agree. That should give you some pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*groan*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I agree. That should give you some pointers.

Absolutely, +1 on this, best reference manual there is.

Sparks wrote: »
    41jZJq0HMcL.jpg

For scripting, any unix scripting book or tutorial will do (there's not really any such thing as linux-specific scripting in this context, it's all either csh or bash scripting really).

Cheers Sparks, I had a look on amazon and all of the reviews are excellent so I've just ordered a copy. I can't believe it's only 250 pages long. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

waraf wrote: »
    Cheers Sparks, I had a look on amazon and all of the reviews are excellent so I've just ordered a copy. I can't believe it's only 250 pages long. Happy days!

Waraf,

While thats a great C book, you might need other resources too to learn the language. As you've programed before in Java, a combination of K&R and online tutorials/resources should probably sort you out.

You also mentioned you have to learn about linux - one of the best ways to get your head around linux is to install a linux distro on a spare machine (or even if a VM if you have to), and start playing with it. Maybe start automating simple tasks from the command line, or use it to do your C development, using the command line and Vim for a while, and you'll pick it up.

One of the biggest challenges coming to C from java is having to do your own memory management - make sure to spend a good bit of time on pointers and memory management and not move on until you've got the concepts down, and you should be grand.

Edit:
    Also, if you are interested in software engineering in general, books like 'The Pragmatic Programmer' and 'Rapid Development' are well worth a read.

fergalr wrote: »
    Waraf,

While thats a great C book, you might need other resources too to learn the language. As you've programed before in Java, a combination of K&R and online tutorials/resources should probably sort you out.

You also mentioned you have to learn about linux - one of the best ways to get your head around linux is to install a linux distro on a spare machine (or even if a VM if you have to), and start playing with it. Maybe start automating simple tasks from the command line, or use it to do your C development, using the command line and Vim for a while, and you'll pick it up.

One of the biggest challenges coming to C from java is having to do your own memory management - make sure to spend a good bit of time on pointers and memory management and not move on until you've got the concepts down, and you should be grand.

Edit:
    Also, if you are interested in software engineering in general, books like 'The Pragmatic Programmer' and 'Rapid Development' are well worth a read.

Thanks Fergal. I was actually installed Virtualbox with the latest version of Mint Linux as you were typing that!

Thanks for the heads up on the memory management. I wasn't aware that I would have to do that in C so I'll make sure to go over it carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

When I learnt C back in College it was the Deitel C How To Program book that I read. I loved the way that there were a bunch of questions at the end of each chapter which covered what you were supposed to have read and then a few exercises where you had to create programs, again to back up what you were supposed to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement