Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner Wall downstairs Discoloured

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Ok heres my problem. I just noticed the wall in my sitting room is discoloured in the corner. It appears to be some kind of water mark. Its circular in colour. The wall is concrete and there is ensuite above. The toilet does not appear to be filling i wonder maybe its leaking.

Anybody have any ideas would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

Yes it could be the shower or toilet etc. Also check if the chimney is above this as it may be leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

hi Murdec. thanks for your reply. The chimney is 4-5 ft away from the damage area. Cant afford to get a plumber in till next week. Pulled up the lino in the en suite there is no water on the floor there. Also there is a radiator in the en suite as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Is your heating working?

Is the water flowing from your sink ok

When you say your toilet is not filling has it always been filling and just stopped since you saw the mark.

Can you follow the pipes from your attic across the floor to see if it matches up with the leak..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

If you cant afford to get a plumber in at the moment i'd advise turning the water off. The cost of the damage will only increase into 4 figures if you allow a leak to continue. Insurance will cover probably 50% of the damage

Hi joey the lips.I ran out of oil few days ago. Heating was working fine then. Yeah water is flowing out of the sink ok. As far as i remember the toilet stopped filling a few months ago. I Never really use the en suite toilet to be honest. I will check the pipes across the floor when i get home tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

is that outside corner? i have same problem and its because of rain, windows/door aren't sealed properly.

hi vHOST no its inside the house. It might possibly be the toilet. I have a guy coming on thursday to inspect until the mean time i have turned off the cold upstairs.

Just an update . It turns out the leak was the next door neighbours toilet.My sitting room wall is soaking wet.they claim to have somebody calling to fix their leak. Does anybody know what are my rights resolving this matter and getting my wall sorted. Also they are renting the house and dont seem to really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

lockers55 wrote: »
    Just an update . It turns out the leak was the next door neighbours toilet.My sitting room wall is soaking wet.they claim to have somebody calling to fix their leak. Does anybody know what are my rights resolving this matter and getting my wall sorted. Also they are renting the house and dont seem to really care.

Send their landlord a letter by registered post saying you would like the leak fixed in a reasonable time. Reasonale time is usually a week. In the meantime you would like the water isolated at that toilet to stop the damage progressing.(if there is more than one toilet in the house) tell them that you would also like them to contact their insurence and have an asser come out and look at the damage to your house and asses if wet rot or dry rot has set in.. Tell them that if they cannot do this(The landlord) that you will do it and be billing his them for all costs. Including what ever costs you incur having to sort there damage.

You catch the jist.

OK BRILLIANT

Thanks
    Joey the lips

• Advertisement
Advertisement