Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Transfer window opening Jan 1st Speculation/Rumours

• 02-12-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit early to be starting this thread but it is less then a month untill it kicks off so here's the first rumours of transfer window

Spurs
    A deal for Internacional DM Sandro Ranieri is done(appearantly) to be anounced on monday after the conclusion of the Brazilian season
    Roman Pavelychenko Pav is set to make a return to Russia or move to Roma this January

Arsenal
    Wenger has confirmed his intention to buy a striker this January as he looks to replace the injured Van Persie

Chelsea
    Have been Linked with a move for sergio Aguero in a £40m deal.

Portsmouth
    Hope to extened Jamie O'Hara's loan or purchase him this January

Man Utd
    Have been Linked with highly rated goalkeeper Manuel Neuer from Schalke

Man City
    have been linked with a move for David Bentley

Sunderland
    Have been linked with Alan Hutton

More to follow....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :(
    Why the said face Alan? I'm guessing lack of funds?

yep. cutting wage bill is priority numero uno for Jan in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Babel out, Dossena out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

Zak Whitbread - Millwall to Leeds - 150k

:D

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Babel out, Dossena out.

if we're not bringing in any players but have to cut the wage bill, i'd hang onto Babel & make it dossena & voronin out.

You could make a pretty penny by selling mash to barca an riena too have a midfield of aqua and lucas and buy a squad midfielder with the remainder and a decent goalkeeper wouldn't cost too much you'd end up with a really good transfer surplus and saved a serious amount in wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mike65 wrote: »
    Babel out, Dossena out.

Crap, Wenger might just be tempted...2.5 years too late though so, maybe not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jasonorr wrote: »
    Crap, Wenger might just be tempted...2.5 years too late though so, maybe not!

wenger wouldve made babel into the player he should of been I reckon

on Dossena didnt he want to go to italy during the summer but rafa blocked that move ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea to be linked with 15 or more players and prob just sign a young lad and a very old midfielder for 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll get the Villa rumours out of the way before they start:

Reo-Coker will be linked to Spurs.

We will be linked with Keane, Defoe, Jenas, Veloso and Miguel.

Headshot wrote: »

Would have played him and as a striker too!

Neil3030 wrote: »

And Bentley!

Everton will be interesting to watch no money to buy and a shed load of injured players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jasonorr wrote: »
    And Bentley!

S*** I knew I forgot one!

Wenger would have played Babel as a striker?

seriously doubt it, having never played as a proper striker in Holland & Wenger always developing forwards by playing them out wide, its not likely tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Craig Gardner to Blues:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/01/craig-gardner-aston-villa-birmingham

Interesting take from UK Indo on potential Villa targets:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/aston-villa-potential-transfer-targets-1831552.html

Surely someone will be desperate enough to take a punt on Shorey.

S*** I knew I forgot one!

I'd say there's a reason you forgot that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

And pretty much every English player that doesn't play for a top 4 team

Wenger would have played Babel as a striker?

seriously doubt it, having never played as a proper striker in Holland & Wenger always developing forwards by playing them out wide, its not likely tbh.

Babel had already played out wide and he said his favourite position is as a striker so, I honestly think Wenger would have given him a shot up top or maybe behind the main striker. The only reason he likes to put strikers out wide is to develop their man beating abilities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You could make a pretty penny by selling mash to barca and reina too

you sir, are out of your f*cking mind.

:pac:

Pretty excited about this Sandro lad Real, Barca and inter all interested if you believe goal.com:rolleyes:
    Only vid on youtube i could find
    Sandro is the one who scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

if we're not bringing in any players but have to cut the wage bill, i'd hang onto Babel & make it dossena & voronin out.

Transfers Mr Alan as a rule are dependent on finding a club actually willing to take said player ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I would expect Everton to attempt to sign a couple in January. Adam Johnson could come in from Boro', Manuel Fernandes may come back for a third loan period too. We were also linked with Garcia off Benfica and Hutton from Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Transfers Mr Alan as a rule are dependent on finding a club actually willing to take said player ;)

I'm sure someone out there could photoshop him into a few videos where Torres has scored :p

But there are a few clubs (must have a nutcase of a manager) that are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he has a lot of manlove for him back in Deutschland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

You could make a pretty penny by selling mash to barca an riena too have a midfield of aqua and lucas and buy a squad midfielder with the remainder and a decent goalkeeper wouldn't cost too much you'd end up with a really good transfer surplus and saved a serious amount in wages
    SlickRic wrote: »
    you sir, are out of your f*cking mind.

:pac:

Not a chance Reina will be sold. Utter lunacy to suggest it ; the most recent talk was of extending his contract, which runs until 2012 to 2014.
    on Dossena didnt he want to go to italy during the summer but rafa blocked that move ?

There was definite talk alright. The rumour was that Rafa was told that he wouldn't get to spend whatever funds were realised by the sale, so he reckoned there wasn't much point in selling. Dossena is very keen to move back to Italy in order to get games and hang on to his World Cup squad. In fairness to him both himself and his agent have been very professional about the whole thing. Would be really surprised if he was still at Liverpool come February. There was supposedly two or three clubs interested in the summer, havent heard anything about any interest since then.

Hertha Berlin were willing to pay €4m for Vorinin in April/May. Seems like a good chance he could move back to Deutschland, given where he is in the pecking order.
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    But there are a few clubs (must have a nutcase of a manager) that are interested
    SlickRic wrote: »
    he has a lot of manlove for him back in Deutschland.

Did reasonable in Germany last season both in terms of goals and general play, so there is a possibility he might head back there.

Given how Kelly has been performing and the talk about him, there might be a somewhat remote possibility that someone might take Degen on loan, maybe with Liverpool paying some portion of his wages.

No other blatantly obvious candidates (in terms of those on decent wages that havent featured much so far this season) at Liverpool in terms of cutting the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle United:

It's not so much about players coming in it's about who we can keep.
    Enrique and Jonas said they want to stay which is great news.

Hopefully we won't be rid of anyone come January. Bolton better not come in for a sneaky bid for Nolan like they did in the summer.

As for players coming in, we've been linked with Sheffield Utd defender Matt Killgallon and Danny Simpson has expressed that he wants to sign for the club. Also Manchester United (eh midfielder???) Tom Cleverly has been linked with us too.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Tom Cleverly has been linked with us too.

wont be getting him

• Advertisement

wont be getting him

Is he any good?

Is he any good?

a right good little player I think

playing great stuff for Watford atm, im hoping next season he'll get a chance in the utd 1st team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is he any good?
    he has been excellent while out on loan with watford and i think his contract is up in the summer

yabadabado wrote: »
    he has been excellent while out on loan with watford and i think his contract is up in the summer

any link to this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

any link to this ?

no link but im sure i have read it somewhere.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5740995,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Newcastle United:

It's not so much about players coming in it's about who we can keep.
    Enrique and Jonas said they want to stay which is great news.

Hopefully we won't be rid of anyone come January. Bolton better not come in for a sneaky bid for Nolan like they did in the summer.

As for players coming in, we've been linked with Sheffield Utd defender Matt Killgallon and Danny Simpson has expressed that he wants to sign for the club. Also Manchester United (eh midfielder???) Tom Cleverly has been linked with us too.

Not a chance. Hands off. Cleverly is highly rated at United and he's been Watford's best player this season. He'll be back at OT next season for his chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

?

Have a feeling we might go for him in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have a feeling we might go for him in January

We already have one player who can run really fast but is in all reality a headless chicken, no need for another one.

Secretly though I rate Babel and if we didn't have such an overload of wingers I'd be interested.

a right good little player I think

playing great stuff for Watford atm, im hoping next season he'll get a chance in the utd 1st team
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Osu wrote: »
    Not a chance. Hands off. Cleverly is highly rated at United and he's been Watford's best player this season. He'll be back at OT next season for his chance.

Cheers lads for the input. He must be highly rated so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Van Nistelrooy to return to the Premier League?

33 yes but has played very little this seson and especially last season so plenty left in the tank, he had a fantastic strike rate last season! Played 6 scored 4!

Has made 4 appearances as a sub this term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So Wenger just doesn't have faith in Eduardo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ush1 wrote: »
    So Wenger just doesn't have faith in Eduardo?

He's shown over the last couple of games that he's not suited to the system. Much better in a 4-4-2 beside another front man.

Also, his confidence is so low at the moment its not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id take babel at the villa tbh, i think theres a super player just waiting to break out. the next club he signs for might well get a fantastic bargain if liverpool will do business at a knock down price

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Helix wrote: »
    id take babel at the villa tbh, i think theres a super player just waiting to break out. the next club he signs for might well get a fantastic bargain if liverpool will do business at a knock down price

I know there's a player there, I haven't much or ever criticised Rafa but I think more could be done to coax Babel into the player he could be or even back in the player we signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Helix wrote: »
    Babel's not suited to the premiership. I think he'll go back to Holland,hope so anyway's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Babel's not suited to the premiership. I think he'll go back to Holland,hope so anyway's.

thats quite possible, but he might well just need a sustained amount of time in one role, with a gaffer whos willing to let him adapt. he seems to get shifted a bit by rafa (might not be true, since i dont see all that much of pool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

seems the utd january deal for Ljajic won't be going through.

Link

Was reading about it in a Utd forum there.... not very happy campers if it doesn't go through. apparently he's very talented.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He's shown over the last couple of games that he's not suited to the system. Much better in a 4-4-2 beside another front man.

Also, his confidence is so low at the moment its not true.

Well the solution would be then to either change the system, or buy another striker and get rid of Eduardo. If his confidence is low, what's the manager coming out and saying we'll have to buy another striker gonna do for his moral?

I heard today that arsenal are looking at Andre Pierre Gignac for ~£12m

I heard today that arsenal are looking at Andre Pierre Gignac for ~£12m

Yeah I read that. He would suit the prem but doubt they'll get him for that money. Lyon tried desperately in the summer to get him offering I believe over 15m euro but couldn't and opted for Gomis instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given Rafa's most recent statements on Babel were about himi needing to improve his consistency, I'd be surprised if he moved on in January, even in spite of some recent press kerfuffle.

He's also featured in something like 14 matches so far this season, even if he's isnt an automatic choice on the team sheet and that's with missing a game or two through injury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement