Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cousin looking for pc for €500 to play warhammer online on high gfx settings.

Options
  • 02-12-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

I've been tasked with finding or building (have built my own gaming pc's in the past from hwversand) a pc for my little cousin for xmas for at most €500. He mainly plays warhammer online and I think he's been having graphics issues lately. Can be prebuilt, parts or second hand.

I dont really game much anymore and have switched to using a mac so I'm not really sure on whats decent in the pc hardware end of things at the moment.

Any suggestions for a machine or build would be really appreciated.

Was thinking something like an AMD quad core and ati 4850 with 4gigs of cheapish ram?

He already has a monitor.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah that can be done no problem at all as long as he has all the bits needed like keyboard, monitor, mouse etc etc. You can scavange the dvd drive from his current pc most likely.

Or depending on the age of his current machine you could just for example add in mroeram and a new graphics card and possibly a psu and maybe a cpu upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Cheers Anti, It's some kind of dell pc. I already upgraded the graphics card for him a few years ago. Don't think the psu can handle a more powerful card than what he currently has. Not sure how upgradeable they are but I doubt I can do much with it.

Might even try and just sell the desktop for him and that'll give him a bit more to work with. I'll give my aunt a ring tonight.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'll update the thread when I get a chance to find out exactly what his current machine specs are

Edit:
    Just found his specs in an old email. Cant find his gfx card info so I'll get him to check for me later.

specsx.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You can salvage the DVD drive... and that's about it :o Oh... maybe the OS, although its also getting a bit rusty around the edges.

Its easily done - and has been done - many times before so I'll just give you the gist of it: cheap Athlon (preferably tricore for futureproofing; X3-435 is dirt cheap), cheap AM3 mobo (€55+, MSI 770-C45 a good start), 2*2GB cheap DDR3 (1333MHz, after that its a trip to the land of diminishing returns), 500GB SATA HDD (~€40, 7200.12 and F3 recommended) and a HD4770 (WhO has but modest requirements - plus we're talking a 1280*1024 monitor ;)). Case/cooling/PSU is kept to a minimum thanks to the low-power GPU; Coolermaster CM330 and Antec 200 (€30-40) are good budget choices for a case and you need no more than a Corsair CX400 (~€40) for PSU. And if he needs quiet or fancies a bit of OCing then throw in an Arctic Freezer 7 Rev2 (<€20) for a CPU cooler. Hell, if you could go a little overbudget (say €20 or so ;)) you could get all that from HWVS - shipped - and get Windows 7 at the same time! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Edit:
    Just found his specs in an old email. Cant find his gfx card info so I'll get him to check for me later.

The video card is your screenshot, an Intel GMA integrated adapter.

Spear wrote: »
    The video card is your screenshot, an Intel GMA integrated adapter.

No I bought him a proper card when he was buying the desktop. Just got him to check there and he has an:

Nvidia GeForce 6800 xt 256mb

Given his specs, how much roughly could he expect to get for just the base if I stuck it up on adverts for him

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    You can salvage the DVD drive... and that's about it :o Oh... maybe the OS, although its also getting a bit rusty around the edges.

Its easily done - and has been done - many times before so I'll just give you the gist of it: cheap Athlon (preferably tricore for futureproofing; X3-435 is dirt cheap), cheap AM3 mobo (€55+, MSI 770-C45 a good start), 2*2GB cheap DDR3 (1333MHz, after that its a trip to the land of diminishing returns), 500GB SATA HDD (~€40, 7200.12 and F3 recommended) and a HD4770 (WhO has but modest requirements - plus we're talking a 1280*1024 monitor ;)). Case/cooling/PSU is kept to a minimum thanks to the low-power GPU; Coolermaster CM330 and Antec 200 (€30-40) are good budget choices for a case and you need no more than a Corsair CX400 (~€40) for PSU. And if he needs quiet or fancies a bit of OCing then throw in an Arctic Freezer 7 Rev2 (<€20) for a CPU cooler. Hell, if you could go a little overbudget (say €20 or so ;)) you could get all that from HWVS - shipped - and get Windows 7 at the same time! :D

Cheers. Very helpful post. Pretty much going with that exact spec and its coming to 475 before delivery. How much is delivery? I'll run it by my aunt and maybe try and flog the 5150 on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Maybe your cousin wants to plunder my friend's computer for a small fee.
    He wants to get rid of it. No screen.
    E6700 C2D 2.67ghz, 520W PSU, 500GB HDD, 8800GT GPU, 2GB RAM, XP SP3
    Don't know if it will be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im currently thinking of getting rid of my old system as well :)

Coolermaster Stacker ST-01 case, Intel Core Duo E8400 3ghz, Asus Striker II mobo, 650w PSU, 4gb Corsair Dominator ram+fan, Artic cooling Frozen 7 cpu cooler, 2x WD 74GB Raptors and maybe 8800gt.

Advertisement