Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Rule #1: You can always build better for the same money.

Running through it, it doesn't seem horribly overpriced. Personally, I'd get a better ATI graphics card for hi-res gaming.

Any reviews of the "600 Watt Ultra X-Pro"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Oh come on its PIXMANIA ffs, worlds worst e-tailer and part of the DSG group that bring you jokes the likes of PC World and Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Oh come on its PIXMANIA ffs, worlds worst e-tailer and part of the DSG group that bring you jokes the likes of PC World and Currys

thats not the point I am asking if I can get better at the price nothing to do with the sh$%%y customer service we have come to expect from pixmania. TBH I only used them once and had no issues but the Consumer Issues thread will find a few horror stories.

Show me an i7 build better for the same or less thats what I am asking. A quick look on Hardwarseverland has me at 60euro more before shipping.

I'm on €640 for everything except the case and power supply on hwvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

"* We reserve the right to substitute components of equal value depending on availabilty"

Thats all Im sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

the ( We reserve the right to substitute components of equal value depending on availabilty) should get alarm bells going .
    so for your money you might get this system or you will prob get a crappy board with crappy ram and tough .

i would say you could self build same and at least you would know exactly whats in it and not open a box to find its not the spec you thought you were getting

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Excluding RAM (which has risen disproportionately over the past three months) the retail value of the build lies around...

Fail021209.png

... €650, if you throw in some cheapie RAM that miraculously hasn't doubled in price ;)

And its a horribly mismatched build to boot. 9800GT?! You should have far less in there for a workstation, far more for a mathstation and something like a HD5770 for a CADstation or gaming build. And a HD5770 is no longer that much more expensive than a ****ty little 9800GT anyway!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-030-OE

for a few quid more i think this would be a better system,better case/far better card /better psu and factory overclocked to 3.4 ghz, and at least the wont change components unless asked:D

@sol, /OTTshocked face, but thats the 512vram model, are you trying to damage him for lifes?!

@noodle, if I referred to well over a 100 quid of a difference as "a few quid" I'd be shot :eek:

But tbh, I would be going for the overclockers (if I had to pick between these 2), I dont trust pixmania, Ive heard nothing but bad things (on these boards) about Ankermann and frankly that lil disclaimer does give them the right (which they will no doubt make full use of) to give you whatever they please >_<

swirlser wrote: »
    @sol, /OTTshocked face, but thats the 512vram model, are you trying to damage him for lifes?!

As if it makes a difference finger.gif

Plus its probably a Galaxy or Funny Weird Asian/US brand 9800GT anyway. Dirt cheap and dirt build quality. My suggestion still has the higher retail value so its a valid comparison.

• Advertisement

swirlser wrote: »

@noodle, if I referred to well over a 100 quid of a difference as "a few quid" I'd be shot :eek:

But tbh, I would be going for the overclockers (if I had to pick between these 2), I dont trust pixmania, Ive heard nothing but bad things (on these boards) about Ankermann and frankly that lil disclaimer does give them the right (which they will no doubt make full use of) to give you whatever they please >_<

if you read through the link you can change components to suit so if he has dvd drive thats 15 or 20 saved go for a cheaper card if he is not gaming so the price could be dropped depending on what exactly he wants and the machine on pixmania works out at 790 shipped and the oc.uk system works out roughly 850 euro shipped so thats 60 :P but change the card and it might be just a few quid in the diff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Thanks for the replys guys. I am going to build myself in the next few weeks, but may just wait till the new year if i can hold off.
    That machine came up in the office as an option so thanks for putting that to rest.
    What would you guys recommend for around 800 for mid range gaming I was hoping to add in a 1GB 4890 or 5770.

noodletop wrote: »
    if you read through the link you can change components to suit so if he has dvd drive thats 15 or 20 saved go for a cheaper card if he is not gaming so the price could be dropped depending on what exactly he wants and the machine on pixmania works out at 790 shipped and the oc.uk system works out roughly 850 euro shipped so thats 60 :P but change the card and it might be just a few quid in the diff:D

Well Im not sure if im just going blind, but the few customising options available are all at the base/cheapest settings, so unless you rang them to take out the dvd drive to save the 15 quid (which you'd spend half on the phone call o.O)...

But I am agreeing with you! :p It is the better choice, better gpu, better psu, aftermarket cooler, factory OC, oh and the whole no swappy swappy of components as they please :) Well worth the 100 quid. :pac:

bennyc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys guys. I am going to build myself in the next few weeks, but may just wait till the new year if i can hold off.
    That machine came up in the office as an option so thanks for putting that to rest.
    What would you guys recommend for around 800 for mid range gaming I was hoping to add in a 1GB 4890 or 5770.

€800 with or without a monitor?

Core i5-750 is a solid processor at that price. If you wait until the new year you might also be able to get your hands on a 5850.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-076-OE&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=
    this system

but swap the card for this one
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-120-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1403
    and if you could change the ram or board for something slightly cheaper you could cut the price of it by over 100 pounds giving you a ready built pc for around the 800 euro mark:D

when you order the system you can change any of the components if you do it over the phone . or if you e mail what you want in the system they will e mail the price back to you before you order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Be prepared for an Irish Vatrate of 21.5% at checkout if You shop at OCUK, they're registered for Vat here.

bennyc wrote: »

Even at 1080p resolution a HD5770 is quite capable of strong mid-range performance. You can go even cheaper if you have a lower-res screen ;)

Advertisement