Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone read Mcwilliams new book and agree with his alternative to the current mess?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭

Got to tell ya, this sounds reasonable..

Leave the Euro (didnt hurt Sweden and the UK with European game), go back to the punt, and print money to stimulate spending.

Not without some pain, but much better than cutbacks and redundancies that are currently occurring. So why not do it, Mr Cowen? Best idea ive heard sofar to the crisis and an obvious alternative to the current blame game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

I think the main arguement against leaving the Euro is that the punt would be devalued alot, basically making everyone that bit poorer, and the Euro debt to be paid back works out more. Someone else will be able to explain it better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.
    All posters redirected please read the charter here before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Didn't the punt get a walloping from speculators back in the early 90s?
    What do we do if that were to happen again? Our foreign reserves would be wasted and we would become Iceland II.

I'd love a stimulus package but it ain't going to happen. I respect McWilliams but don't agree with all his ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

His proposal makes about as much sense as California leaving the dollar for a while and then rejoining. Seriously, it's a one-way trip, if we leave they aren't going to leave us back in. It's proper la-la land stuff that he's proposing. Most of our debt not being in Punts would make things awkward, though I don't have the time to go into why this is a problem right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

nesf wrote: »
    His proposal makes about as much sense as California leaving the dollar for a while and then rejoining. Seriously, it's a one-way trip, if we leave they aren't going to leave us back in. It's proper la-la land stuff that he's proposing. Most of our debt not being in Punts would make things awkward, though I don't have the time to go into why this is a problem right now.

Since the new punt would sink like a stone - and that's not counting the planned devaluation - there would be an immediate flight of euros from the country, plus a massive increase in our external debt. We would be imposing not insignificant costs on the multinational sector, while the galloping inflation that would probably result would cripple mortgage holders and small businesses alike.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Leave the Euro (didnt hurt Sweden and the UK with European game), go back to the punt, and print money to stimulate spending.

this was discussed in detail before here in several threads

to summarize it would be a disaster for Ireland
    I think the main arguement against leaving the Euro is that the punt would be devalued alot, basically making everyone that bit poorer, and the Euro debt to be paid back works out more. Someone else will be able to explain it better.

everyone in UK is 30% poorer now, and they have nothing to show for it, still in recession and printing more money while other euro major economies are ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Got to tell ya, this sounds reasonable..

Not without some pain, but much better than cutbacks and redundancies that are currently occurring. So why not do it, Mr Cowen? Best idea ive heard sofar to the crisis and an obvious alternative to the current blame game

hahaha..this is a very bad idea...One of the big problems is that we would have to pay back the millions and millions in grants we got from europe.
    Also people dont seem to realise that europe are essentially funding NAMA...!.
    David mc williams comes up with ideas purely for publicity ....he truely is an idiot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This "idea" sounds like something he heard from an elderly drunk at his local and felt he needed something to pad out the book a little.

I'd be interested to hear his reasoning on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Cowen has bowed to the Unions so we won't have to wait very long for the above to happen, albeit different than planned.

We will get the boot from Europe and loose the euro and this could occur within a short time frame to avoid a run on banks (savings would be devalued). The alternative is the IMF taking over - the Germans won't let this happen as it would damage Europe too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

batperson wrote: »
    Cowen has bowed to the Unions so we won't have to wait very long for the above to happen, albeit different than planned.

We will get the boot from Europe and loose the euro and this could occur within a short time frame to avoid a run on banks (savings would be devalued). The alternative is the IMF taking over - the Germans won't let this happen as it would damage Europe too much.

I hope that you don't take that seriously. It's off the wall.

• Advertisement

batperson wrote: »

Europe doesn't care which way we cut 4 billion this year so long as we cut 4 billion. That's all we agreed to do with them. We didn't agree any specific policies on how cuts will be introduced. In exchange we don't get fined for being outside the limits set on deficits that we and the other European countries agreed to when the Eurozone was set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In the book, he makes the following argument

European membership is a political union and the concept of the euro is also financial union. But this is bogus. The USA is basically 50 mini-countries with their own economies making up a whole. When one state is in recession, a boom in another state makes up the difference in a way. So it evens out.
    However in the EU there is no financial union, and we either sink or swim. A thriving Germany should essentially bail out a weaker Ireland but this doesn't happen. Based on this, the decision to leave the euro is a valid one as it is not really a financial union at all.

From a political perspective, the fall of the berlin wall and a re-united Germany scared the French bureacrats. Remember that the second world war was barley over 40 years. The idea of EMU was to basically rein in the Germans. Crude as that may seem. Ireland pretty much went with the flow.

He also argues that the political establishment iin Ireland doesn't really have the cojones to make such a decision. It would be tough for a year or two but it would give us back a semblance of control of our currency, establsihing interest rates etc.

This in essence would make Ireland a cheap place to do business. And the development of a knowledge economy and our educated workforce the country would thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

It's worst case scenario... it is a post about McWilliams after all ;)

Sometimes its only by being aware of the worst case scenario that we can find the best case scenario!

The facts are the country is on a slippery slope and worse has yet to come. Goverment decisons over the next few months will determine what happens.

Rb wrote: »
    This "idea" sounds like something he heard from an elderly drunk at his local and felt he needed something to pad out the book a little.

I'd be interested to hear his reasoning on it though.

The basic reasoning is as follows:

It's a lot easier for a Government to devalue the currency than it is to get people to take a wage cut. Both achieve the same goal, make us more competitive internationally. Now the big problem is that our external debt isn't denominated in Punts that we can devalue but in Dollars and Euro for the most part. So we've banks earning devalued Punts trying to pay off debts denominated in undevaluated Euros and Dollars. Which would create huge problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

nesf wrote: »
    It's a lot easier for a Government to devalue the currency than it is to get people to take a wage cut. Both achieve the same goal, make us more competitive internationally. Now the big problem is that our external debt isn't denominated in Punts that we can devalue but in Dollars and Euro for the most part. So we've banks earning devalued Punts trying to pay off debts denominated in undevaluated Euros and Dollars. Which would create huge problems.
    I don't think this is correct.

Let us say before devaluation we owe 100 billion euros. How much do we owe after devaluation? Answer: 100 billion euros. No change. Our situation with regard to external debt has not improved, but neither has it deteriorated. The fact that internally we use punts or whatever makes no difference.

What determines our ability to pay foreign debt is determined by competitiveness and, as you point out, this is most easily improved by devaluation.

I think the issue is somewhat confused by hisorical examples of devaluation where debt has been denominated in the country's own currency thus devaluing had the effect of decreasing foreign debt. No one is suggesting devaluating for that reason here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Question, does he propose fixed or floating rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

SkepticOne wrote: »

Let us say before devaluation we owe 100 billion euros. How much do we owe after devaluation? Answer: 100 billion euros. No change. Our situation with regard to external debt has not improved, but neither has it deteriorated. The fact that internally we use punts or whatever makes no difference.

What determines our ability to pay foreign debt is determined by competitiveness and, as you point out, this is most easily improved by devaluation.

I think the issue is somewhat confused by hisorical examples of devaluation where debt has been denominated in the country's own currency thus devaluing had the effect of decreasing foreign debt. No one is suggesting devaluating for that reason here.

The euro would probably rocket up in value when we left too..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes, but would something like the devaluation of Sterling happen?

£1 Stg used to be about €1.45/1.50

Now it's worth €1.10/1.15.

The €100 Billion would need far more Punts to pay.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes, but would something like the devaluation of Sterling happen?

£1 Stg used to be about €1.45/1.50

Now it's worth €1.10/1.15.

The €100 Billion would need far more Punts to pay.
    But our ability to pay that debt depends on the competitiveness of our economy not the tokens of exchange we use internally. The punt could be valued at 100 to the Euro but what would matter would be whether we can produce exports of goods and services at competitive rates.

To see this more clearly imagine that for whatever reason the Euro doubles in value next to the dollar due to a boom in Germany. Does this help Ireland's economy and consequent ability to pay debts? I think a moments reflection shows us that it does not. The immediate effect would be collapse of businesses and redundancy. Eventually there would be an adjustment of wages and some businesses would start up again, but by then it would be too late.

There's no big pile of euros owned by Ireland that we pay our debts out of that would be threatened by devaluation. We pay our debts out of money we make by selling goods and services abroad currently.

But our ability to pay that debt depends on the competitiveness of our economy not the tokens of exchange we use internally. The punt could be valued at 100 to the Euro but what would matter would be whether we can produce exports of goods and services at competitive rates.

To see this more clearly imagine that for whatever reason the Euro doubles in value next to the dollar due to a boom in Germany. Does this help Ireland's economy and consequent ability to pay debts? I think a moments reflection shows us that it does not. The immediate effect would be collapse of businesses and redundancy. Eventually there would be an adjustment of wages and some businesses would start up again, but by then it would be too late.

There's no big pile of euros owned by Ireland that we pay our debts out of that would be threatened by devaluation. We pay our debts out of money we make by selling goods and services abroad currently.

What goods and services are the government currently exporting?

• Advertisement

What goods and services are the government currently exporting?
    I think your use of the word "government" in your question illustrates a flaw in thinking that a lot of people have at the moment. The problem with government finances, though it is getting most of the attention, of course, is merely a symptom of a much larger problem of competitiveness. It is the country that exports (or is supposed to) goods and services, not the government.

The cost of our imports would rise, we'd have no control over that.

We're part of a massive market, I don't see how leaving it and making it more uncertain to trade in will make things better.

Also, with currency speculators, I don't think it would last long before it would take a massive hit like Iceland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The cost of our imports would rise, we'd have no control over that.
    No, they would stay the same. A million dollars worth of oil would continue to cost a million dollars. However our internally generated costs would go down relative to imports and this would make our exports more competitive.
    We're part of a massive market, I don't see how leaving it and making it more uncertain to trade in will make things better.
    I think this is a valid concern. There would be currency risk but look at the amount of uncertainty that has been generated by being unable to adjust to a currency that is too strong for our current needs.
    Also, with currency speculators, I don't think it would last long before it would take a massive hit like Iceland.
    But Iceland's problems come from their banks going mad (much more so than ours). Their devaluation is in reaction to that and probably necessary.

I think your use of the word "government" in your question illustrates a flaw in thinking that a lot of people have at the moment. The problem with government finances, though it is getting most of the attention, of course, is merely a symptom of a much larger problem of competitiveness. It is the country that exports (or is supposed to) goods and services, not the government.

Erm, do you realise how little you have actually said here? My use of the word government is entirely justified and correct, considering that I am asking questions of the governments ability to pay foreign creditors. You must discuss this matter in nominal money terms. By leaving the Euro and signalling to the market that we are devaluing the Punt will lead to capital flight, which will further devalue the Punt, which will lead to capital flight, etc, etc. To combat this, the Central Bank will attempt to raise interest rates in an effort to keep capital in the country, while hurting local businesses. Tax takings fall even further while the Government have to service their Euro debt in their now devalued Punt. In an effort to stabilise their currency, the Government will borrow foreign reserves, further compounding the debt problem. This eventually leads to default and the collapse of the currency. It has happened many, many times before when debt-ridden countries that have overreached for years attempt to fiddle with their currency. Maybe when things calm down a bit, it could be a viable idea, but right now it is suicide.

Erm, do you realise how little you have actually said here? My use of the word government is entirely justified and correct, considering that I am asking questions of the governments ability to pay foreign creditors. You must discuss this matter in nominal money terms. By leaving the Euro and signalling to the market that we are devaluing the Punt will lead to capital flight, which will further devalue the Punt, which will lead to capital flight, etc, etc.
    Yet trying to stay in the Euro also leads to capital flight as we have seen about a year ago as people were running around trying to find a safe place for their money and a large part of the cause of this has been inappropriately low euro interest rates during a massive housing bubble.
    To combat this, the Central Bank will attempt to raise interest rates in an effort to keep capital in the country, while hurting local businesses. Tax takings fall even further while the Government have to service their Euro debt in their now devalued Punt. In an effort to stabilise their currency, the Government will borrow foreign reserves, further compounding the debt problem.
    I would expect interest rates to rise as a response to a falling punt, yes, but in real terms our interest rates are quite high at present so the difference might not be as great as imagined. And again, look at what we're doing with the likes of NAMA to try and keep things going within the Euro.
    This eventually leads to default and the collapse of the currency. It has happened many, many times before when debt-ridden countries that have overreached for years attempt to fiddle with their currency. Maybe when things calm down a bit, it could be a viable idea, but right now it is suicide.
    However staying in a currency union suited for much stronger economies could also be considered fiddling, interfering with the normal market processes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Leaving the Euro is simply not possible, other than as a form of government default.

Think of all the preparation work involved in joining the EU. Not just the 6 month build up when banks were issued with the new notes and coins, shops had dual pricing and all the rest of it, but all the years previously EMU to fixing the rates etc. None of which can be done overnight.

But also, it was easy to go from the pound, which effectively became worthless other than as memorabilia or because they could be traded in at the central bank for their euro equivalent. However, if Ireland left the Euro, all debts and savings would still be in Euro and there would be loads of euro notes floating around. The government can't simply force these into the new currency because unlike the old Irish pound, the euro will still exist as a viable currency without us.

So if the government did leave the euro, it would essentially be the government defaulting on its commitments, and the euro would still be the fiat currency and actual monetary unit of the state, ala zimbabwae last year using SAR and USD instead of worthless Zimbabwean Dollars.

Yet trying to stay in the Euro also leads to capital flight as we have seen about a year ago as people were running around trying to find a safe place for their money

Yes, but this will be nowhere near as bad as what happens when countries with high public debt attempt a devaluation. We are a small open economy. The results would be sadly predictable.
    and a large part of the cause of this has been inappropriately low euro interest rates during a massive housing bubble.

This has no bearing on the topic whatsoever. This thread is about Ireland leaving the Euro, in the short-run. Leaving in the long-run is a different debate entirely, for reasons that should be obvious.
    I would expect interest rates to rise as a response to a falling punt, yes, but in real terms our interest rates are quite high at present so the difference might not be as great as imagined.

You are basing this on guesswork, I am basing this on economic theory and past empirical results. It would be like Latin America and Asia (80s/90s) all over again. The rise in interest rates would be to attract capital back, so this rise would be in addition to whatever loan rates are currently offered. It seems very wishful thinking, on your part.
    And again, look at what we're doing with the likes of NAMA to try and keep things going within the Euro.However staying in a currency union suited for much stronger economies could also be considered fiddling, interfering with the normal market processes.

What part of the NAMA legislation dealt with keeping Ireland in the Euro? Being part of a currency union suits small nations also. You seem to forget that Ireland had the Punt pegged to the Sterling for almost every year of its existence, for a small example of what happens when your currency board decides to deviate, I suggest reading up on Ireland's economic crisis in 1955-56.

Leaving the Euro is simply not possible, other than as a form of government default.

Think of all the preparation work involved in joining the EU. Not just the 6 month build up when banks were issued with the new notes and coins, shops had dual pricing and all the rest of it, but all the years previously EMU to fixing the rates etc. None of which can be done overnight.

But also, it was easy to go from the pound, which effectively became worthless other than as memorabilia or because they could be traded in at the central bank for their euro equivalent. However, if Ireland left the Euro, all debts and savings would still be in Euro and there would be loads of euro notes floating around. The government can't simply force these into the new currency because unlike the old Irish pound, the euro will still exist as a viable currency without us.

So if the government did leave the euro, it would essentially be the government defaulting on its commitments, and the euro would still be the fiat currency and actual monetary unit of the state, ala zimbabwae last year using SAR and USD instead of worthless Zimbabwean Dollars.

Good points, especially about the Euro remaining within the system. They would have great difficulty getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Leaving the Euro would let FF off the hook. Instant devaluation and the hidden paycut within would be lovely for Cowen. No tough decisions and REAL paycuts to the overpaid public sector would be required-just print more money and pay them. Would also stop people shopping in NI as the exchange rate would make everything so expensive there.

The Euro basically forces Ireland to behave like a grown up country as it's policies are driven by the ultra conservative Bundesbank. Ireland actually needs to go through this pain so people learn the lesson that you cannot build a real economy out of buying and selling property to one another.

• Advertisement

No, they would stay the same. A million dollars worth of oil would continue to cost a million dollars.

Would it though? If the punt devalues against the Dollar, oil will cost more?
    Skepticone wrote:
    However our internally generated costs would go down relative to imports and this would make our exports more competitive.

True, but consumers net pay will be eroded as mortgages and debt will be in Euro, I think. No expert on this. We need to cut costs, but we can do that now ourselves, without leaving the Euro.
    SkepticOne wrote:
    I think this is a valid concern. There would be currency risk but look at the amount of uncertainty that has been generated by being unable to adjust to a currency that is too strong for our current needs.But Iceland's problems come from their banks going mad (much more so than ours). Their devaluation is in reaction to that and probably necessary.

Foreign currency trading was actually suspended at one stage and inflation rocketed.

I just don't think this is the ideal time to be abandoning the Euro.

Advertisement