Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a real Sh!thole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not sure what this has to do about not revolting, but ok...

The difference between Ireland and Scandanavia regarding taxation - and I've lived in both - is not only the rate ofd tax, but also that the taxes get reinvested back in the country in Scandanvia, here not so. People are revolting about the amount of taxatrion spent on public employees and not on improving services, and rightly so.

I'm of the opinion - and am open to correction here - that most people would pay more tax if they got first class hospitals, schools, sports centres and all-round infrastructure.

I know I would anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm of the opinion - and am open to correction here - that most people would pay more tax if they got first class hospitals, schools, sports centres and all-round infrastructure.

I certainly would but I've a sneaking suspicion that the majority of our electorate expect top class services and low taxes. And would vote out anybody stupid enough to try and crank up taxes post-haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not sure what this has to do about not revolting, but ok...

The difference between Ireland and Scandanavia regarding taxation - and I've lived in both - is not only the rate ofd tax, but also that the taxes get reinvested back in the country in Scandanvia, here not so. People are revolting about the amount of taxatrion spent on public employees and not on improving services, and rightly so.

Well for first class "everything" in a coutry this small you might expect to pay 100% of your income in taxes. People say what you say.. but they dont mean it.

I 100% agree there is wastage in the public sector.. but it will never be solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

stovelid wrote: »
    I certainly would but I've a sneaking suspicion that the majority of our electorate expect top class services and low taxes.

Yup and sure our TDs go private if they get sick, their kids go to private rugby playing schools etc etc so making Ireland's hospitals and schools better is of no immediate concern to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Nolanger wrote: »
    • Gerry Ryan Turbridy
    • the President
    • people into sport but only interested in GAA/soccer/rugby/golf
    • Irish Film Bored - funding shi*e that no-one wants to watch
    • RTE - unoriginal wa*kers
    • crap colleges that want to become universities
    • Xposé TV3 slappers
    • musical societies
    • Sunday Independent
    • U2
    • getting ahead involves knowing the 'right' people
    • feminised Leaving Cert resulting in girls doing better
    • dating sites full of ugly women
    • rumour/gossip/slander
    • giving €900 million in foreign aid and €10 million to our flooded areas
    • John Gormless of the Yellow Party
    • Americanised teenagers
    • John Edward
    • foreign beggars on the streets
    • booing Cat Stevens

About half the stuff you listed there is what's great about Ireland.

U2 have done wonders in bringing the yanks over for tourism trade. Bord Scannan na hEireann makes class films. I bet your just brain dead and sit around watching American Pie all night or some other piece of US trash. Culture my friend. Sit back, think about it. It's great when embraced.

The president? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Twin-go wrote: »
    Ok,

Lets form a Boards.ie Political Party. Lets run candidates in the next election. Lets then, once elected, do another round of benchmarking in the Public Sector. Lets then undertake 6 Sigma projects accross all sectors of Government and Government run Companies. Lets then work on the Judicial system. Remove concurent sentencing, introduce zero tollerence. Then lets move to Public transport - allow competition on all bus/rail routes. Then we can ban trade unions - workers will be protected by employment law. Education - seperate state and religion. Children should not be allowed to be baptised until they are 16 and can make up their own mind.

Who is with Me? As the great B would say "YES WE CAN"

Not allowing parents to baptise their children is against their religious human rights. Around half the stuff you listed there breeches internations, UN, E.U and moral codes. ... still, you'd do a better job than FF !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Mushy wrote: »
    Mass emigration only really occurs in times of hardship. Take the famine for instance, that was mass emigration. During times of economic downturns, like now, for another instance. These are events outside a persons control.

Oddly enough, mass emigration contributes to a sense of community abroad, as there are large numbers of Irish abroad now. Its like having little Irelands elsewhere, without the crap of being here.

Economic hardship has played a massive part in Irelands history and may continue to do so, it's usually the rural areas that get hit bad. I'm form a small place and it has many positives but also many. many negatives. I despised the snobbery that arose during the goodish times but it's not limited to the big smoke. We also can't get misty eyed aboutthe good old days, as the Murphy Report shows those days weren't glory days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find these constant threads trying to liken Ireland to some sort of miserable dictatorship really boring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, having to drive 100 miles to another jurisdiction to get cheap booze and party snacks for Christmas is clearly suffering on the scale of Sarejevo or Darfur.

stovelid wrote: »
    having to drive 100 miles to another jurisdiction to get cheap booze
    :eek:

That is an horrific and tragic ordeal for the people of Ireland. I take my last comment back... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

:eek:

Why are the worst aspects of American culture adopted in Ireland?

He's been listening to too much rap music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Economic hardship has played a massive part in Irelands history and may continue to do so, it's usually the rural areas that get hit bad. I'm form a small place and it has many positives but also many. many negatives. I despised the snobbery that arose during the goodish times but it's not limited to the big smoke. We also can't get misty eyed aboutthe good old days, as the Murphy Report shows those days weren't glory days.

Yeah, rural areas get hit bad during those/these times, but it allows it to maintain that community spirit that I feel/see is a lot more prevalent in rural areas.

I just know that I'd much prefer to live in the countryside(well, I do as it is) but would still prefer much further away, and for the reasons I orginally mentioned. Any time I'm down the country, its always more fun, more relaxed pace of life. Stark contrast to the rushing nature encountered in dublin all too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

We really do live in a sh1t hole of a country, sh1tty weather, floods, cost of living, peado priests, peado sports coaches, knackers, scumbags, crappy roads, VAT @21.5%, VRT, corruption, bankers, developers, Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Berttie, Charlie, John O'Donough, IRA, Sinn Fein, FF, €5 pints, Carbon Tax, Airport Tax, Aer Lingus, AIB, BOI, Anglo............

Feel free to add your own. Anything the frustrates you about our "Lovely" Green Isle

that is the problem with you white people and your constant complaining

us irish on the other hand we are happy to strole along in life having sex and eating honeyloops we will welcome any peaceful soul onto our island for a few jars and a bit of a sing song

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

snyper wrote: »
    Well for first class "everything" in a coutry this small you might expect to pay 100% of your income in taxes. People say what you say.. but they dont mean it.

Denmark has managed the above on pretty much the same population without this measure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Hear things are bleak at the minute but there really is no place like home! Roll on Christmas holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Would love to drop the OP into the middle of a war torn iraq or Mali or Rwanda for the week....

bet he'd be beggin to come back to this ****hole then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    I find these constant threads trying to liken Ireland to some sort of miserable dictatorship really boring...

Same here .. and I hate the place :)

Only kidding .. me loves Ireland, but prefer being rich here than being broke, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

Well its no where near as bad as America, fat chance of getting nearly 300 bucks on the scratcher over there. No money? Tough s***. Sick? Then you'll stay sick. Israel? No way stolen land full of baby killers. Russia? No thanks. South east asia? Some beautiful country but hideously corrupt and unequal. When you analyze the stench, Ireland still comes up trumps and is one of the best countries in the world to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's not the country's fault. The physical place is only gorgeous (apart from some of Dublin). Stop voting for ejits and conmen, then most of your complaints will be eliminated by next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

We really do live in a sh1t hole of a country, sh1tty weather, floods, cost of living, peado priests, peado sports coaches, knackers, scumbags, crappy roads, VAT @21.5%, VRT, corruption, bankers, developers, Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Berttie, Charlie, John O'Donough, IRA, Sinn Fein, FF, €5 pints, Carbon Tax, Airport Tax, Aer Lingus, AIB, BOI, Anglo............

Feel free to add your own. Anything the frustrates you about our "Lovely" Green Isle

Sounds more like the human race is s***.

• Advertisement

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not nationalistic/patriotic in the least. I don't think Ireland's brilliant or anything - people have every right not to like living here. But generally speaking, it's not bad - we have it pretty good. Keyboard warriors going all "Che" about the place... well just have some perspective maybe. If there's a thread here about e.g. a stabbing or mugging, there'll always be a "What do you expect in Ireland?" type comment.

Because of course, stabbings/muggings are exclusive to Ireland...

Sounds more like the human race is s***.
    Heeeyyyyy *folds arms*

speak for yourself mate!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DigiGal wrote: »
    Would love to drop the OP into the middle of a war torn iraq or Mali or Rwanda for the week....

bet he'd be beggin to come back to this ****hole then

He he...an ex?

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not nationalistic/patriotic in the least. I don't think Ireland's brilliant or anything - people have every right not to like living here. But generally speaking, it's not bad - we have it pretty good. Keyboard warriors going all "Che" about the place... well just have some perspective maybe.
    If people maybe believe in the country a bit more instead of pissing and moaning about and got a proper Governemnt in and actually cared instead of being so seklfish we'd be able to pull ourselves out of the recession

So yeah keyboard warriors...why dont you actually do soething instead of complaining about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    Cnuts like me who can't spell!

Cnuts who have no balls

TheZohan wrote: »
    He he...an ex?
    I don't know if you have not yet grasped the concept of toilet roll yet but my hole certainly isnt ****ty.....

msg11 wrote: »
    Cnuts who have no balls
    he only has no balls cause he's been on them for so long

DigiGal wrote: »
    I don't know if you have not yet grasped the concept of toilet roll yet but my hole certainly isnt ****ty.....

Too easy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you see the bad in everything you'll never be happy.

There are a lot of great things about Ireland too, but we all take those for granted.

I like Ireland and I like it's people.

And what part of Ireland did you say New York City was in?

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    And what part of Ireland did you say New York City was in?

NYC is in the US davyjose.

Advertisement