Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a real Sh!thole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Small town syndrome. Like the country boy wanting to go to the big city from his "backward" small town so people want to leave little "backward" Ireland to go somewhere bigger and presumably more exciting. Not always greener however, as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ireland's a great country..........We have so many chances compared to other places....the dole is so high and there's so many benefits.

You can live and do nothing if you want or you can go to uni for free.

What are you looking for?

If you're p!ssed off, because of what this country has given you, you can hop on a plane and go somewhere else..........we are amongst the privilged people on this planet.....but yeah there's always whingers everywhere....differenec is, I can understand whingers in Somalia and Haiti when they say their countries are sh!tholes.........can't understand you OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

great education system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Twin-go wrote: »
    We really do live in a sh1t hole of a country, sh1tty weather, floods, cost of living, peado priests, peado sports coaches, knackers, scumbags, crappy roads, VAT @21.5%, VRT, corruption, bankers, developers, Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Berttie, Charlie, John O'Donough, IRA, Sinn Fein, FF, €5 pints, Carbon Tax, Airport Tax, Aer Lingus, AIB, BOI, Anglo............

How can I put this politely - if it's all that bad, then why don't you go somewhere less depressing instead? Preferably to a country where you don'y understand the language / news / media / people complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We really do live in a sh1t hole of a country, sh1tty weather, floods, cost of living, peado priests, peado sports coaches, knackers, scumbags, crappy roads, VAT @21.5%, VRT, corruption, bankers, developers, Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Berttie, Charlie, John O'Donough, IRA, Sinn Fein, FF, €5 pints, Carbon Tax, Airport Tax, Aer Lingus, AIB, BOI, Anglo............

Feel free to add your own. Anything the frustrates you about our "Lovely" Green Isle

You know where the airport is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Denmark has managed the above on pretty much the same population without this measure.

In Denmark, Agriculture -small farms run by famalies has all but died.. They are all been lost to factory farms. why? Tax. In denmark, the taxes on certain inheritances are so high its cheaper to try to buy the property from the parents.. and anyone that knows anything about farming, willl know this is tough.

What my point? Taxes.. their too high in Denmark. Thats why i wouldnt go back to there to live

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You know where the airport is.

But then he will have to pay tax, send him to the docks instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Iolar wrote: »
    You know what the problem with the Irish is,they will whing,bitch moan about things they dont like and pisses them off,then do nothing,at least the French will take to the streets en masse and protest!

people do take the the streets here, but for the wrong reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Iolar wrote: »
    You know what the problem with the Irish is,they will whing,bitch moan about things they dont like and pisses them off,then do nothing,at least the French will take to the streets en masse and protest!

Well, you will bitch and moan and do nothing about us bitching, moaning and doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    the people are sheep, the women are curvy(fat) and stuck up there own bums, trade unions are ****, people are obsessed with their appearance, train system is dire, tolls on all the roads, dublin, too many foreigners, not enough foreigners, social welfare scroungers, blasphemy law, no abortion, can't buy a ****ing beer after 10pm, can't drive my car drunk, too many extremists(like the catholic church, coir), Joan Burton, **** sense of humour(yes to irish people irish people are funny but to everyone else they are idiots), D4 gob****es, trinity college, girls that glow.

Hes just mention 7 reasons why I moved here.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I like Ireland, Sure it has its faults but there are damn sure minor compared to alot of other countries including many in europe.

I hate people who give out **** about this tax and that tax. Fine do away with all of the taxes and just jack up income tax to be somewhere inline with Demark or Sweden where the standard rate is something between 40 and 50 percent.

But you would still find a way to bitch and moan about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Ireland is not perfect. No country in the world is. There is good and bad in every place.

On the bad side, we are indeed unfortunately a nation of begrudgers, whingers and we love to put each other down even within our country. It's a tribal thing and that is a backwards mentality.

That said, the good side, we have Guinness, the crack and a sense of humour and of course Ryan Turbidy, ahem. :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

never lived anywhere else and so dont know if I would want to... I just know that a lot my my friends/family have returned.

Sure the weather aint great but we are the first to complain if its to warm.

Ireland isnt great but it's ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Ireland as a business effort is an epic shithole but in less materialistic terms is a dream to live in. Moving around the world can enable you to swap things around for an equally frustrating experience, in my experience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is what it is, and that's all I have to say on the subject.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Other then the irish whiner mentality and a an inordinate amount of stupidity about the place, Ireland is a pretty good place to live. Contrary to the scaremongers Ireland has a low rate of crime, by comparison to other countries. Our taxes are quite low too(fingers crossed). The weather while meh is not extreme. OK we had a bit of flooding recently and yes that was a terrible thing for those affected, but even our near neighbour the UK has bigger fluctuations in weather. We have water. Lots of the stuff, which most of southern europe doesnt. We have a small population which in theory could feed itself(and I think the gov should make it a priority to keep that population number down).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Something has been building in me more and more, lately.
    I am getting the very real want/urge, to run for office. Untill recently I had no real interest, in politics, but I am so pissed off with the corruption/ineptitude/palm greasing that I want to fight it. The only way to do this seems to be by knocking some of them out of their comfy family Dail seats.

Ireland is not perfect. No country in the world is. There is good and bad in every place.

On the bad side, we are indeed unfortunately a nation of begrudgers, whingers and we love to put each other down even within our country. It's a tribal thing and that is a backwards mentality.

That said, the good side, we have Guinness, the crack and a sense of humour and of course Ryan Turbidy, ahem. :P:P:P

the Toy show has turned me into a Ryan Tubridy fan! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

live somewhere else then

• Advertisement

Something has been building in me more and more, lately.
    I am getting the very real want/urge, to run for office. Untill recently I had no real interest, in politics, but I am so pissed off with the corruption/ineptitude/palm greasing that I want to fight it. The only way to do this seems to be by knocking some of them out of their comfy family Dail seats.

You sound far too honest and hard working to be running for office! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

I consider myself pretty lucky to be here. If you look at a list of the worlds countries, we're much better off than at least 95% of all the rest.

As for the weather, I like to think we appreciate the good weather a lot more when we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I love living in Ireland.

Tell ya what....If you hate it so much, click here, find somewhere better and **** off there. :mad:

The main flaw I find with this country is the people in it who feel that the world owes them something. Get up off your arse, stop feeling sorry for yourself and go make your like exactly how you want it...including finding a country that makes you happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

I consider myself pretty lucky to be here. If you look at a list of the worlds countries, we're much better off than at least 95% of all the rest.

Yes we are indeed much better off than a lot of countries. But to think of how much BETTER we could be if we really got our act together is surely a much better ideal than judging our standards by what we "settle" for today...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Feel free to add your own. Anything the frustrates you about our "Lovely" Green Isle

Agh Yes i do agree 1000%
    Thankfully in 3 weeks im OUTA Here!!:D
    Thailand "The land of smiles here i come"... 34 degrees 11 months of the year
    Tropical beaches beautiful sunsets/WOMEN:D and a very low cost of living bottle of heineken 90cent... 3 course dinner €10:D:D How Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I love living in Ireland.

Tell ya what....If you hate it so much, click here, find somewhere better and **** off there. :mad:

The main flaw I find with this country is the people in it who feel that the world owes them something. Get up off your arse, stop feeling sorry for yourself and go make your like exactly how you want it...including finding a country that makes you happy...

I did, thanks for asking.

But this has got to be the most ignorant, blinkered point of view on this topic. Seriously. Ireland is perfecet? Beyond reproach? You like HSE? RTE? Fianna Fail (I assume you voted for them and would do so again)? No crumbling shool buildings on the island? And no, these are NOT problems that exist everywhere, just Ireland and a few other third world countries.

But hey - I'll enjoy my life in another country, you enjoy your life in the little round glass bottle full of (seriously overpried) alcohol.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do, work wise, in Thailand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Agh Yes i do agree 1000%
    Thankfully in 3 weeks im OUTA Here!!:D
    Thailand "The land of smiles here i come"... 34 degrees 11 months of the year
    Tropical beaches beautiful sunsets/WOMEN:D and a very low cost of living bottle of heineken 90cent

Women? Jesus that sounds amazing.
    I can get bottles of Heineken for less than that without going to the other side of the world. It's all about what people are willing to pay.

Looking forward to a thread in PI soon about someone gettin with a chick, realising it was a ladyboy, doing it anyway then being concerned about flames coming out of their member.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    And no, these are NOT problems that exist everywhere, just Ireland and a few other third world countries.

Bull-****ing-****. You would want to be careful throwing words like 'ignorant' and 'blinkered' around when you are making such statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Bull-****ing-****. You would want to be careful throwing words like 'ignorant' and 'blinkered' around when you are making such statements.

Nope. It's a very ignorant and blinkered opinion to have. There. Said it again. Am interested in hearing why you think it is NOT ignorant and blinkered.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement