Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a real Sh!thole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Dudess wrote: »
    Fair enough. What I consider "meaningless drivel" though is the rhetoric from a bunch of relatively privileged kids trying to find reason to compare Ireland to something of a hell on earth, talk of "revolutions" etc ("censorship" accusations make me LOL in particular). I don't usually do the "there's always someone worse off than you" thing but I think in these laughable cases, perspective is needed.

Ireland isn't without its problems of course (yes, Fianna Fáil are crooks - always were though, funny how it's only being noticed now that things are bad; woeful health service, crap infrastructure, it's too expensive) and I fully agree there is a chasm between the haves and have-nots - particularly so during the boom... however, call me presumptuous, but I'm going to consider it a safe bet that people who whinge on a message-board, rather than being a bit more pro-active, aren't particularly affected.

well yeah, i just find the general habit of going "yeah but it's not Somalia" to be a very hollow because while technically true, nobody is going to move there.

I mean, you might as well say "yeah, but at least it's not the moon"

But i think both sides are guilty of exaggeration, but i just decided to pick on that particular sound bite because it gets wheeled out so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I came out of college just before the country fell apart, got a good job but was laid off 11 months later :(

Over-experienced and now have to get certificates proving I can already do something cuz nobody will hire me without them :mad:

Bah, I'm just miserable cuz a girl I know got a job I applied for, got fired a few weeks later, walked into a music shop I threw a C.V. into a few days earlier, asked for a job and she was given one right there on the spot.

:mad::mad::mad:
    quote]

Maybe she just talked better than you ... ?BECAUSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The grass is always greener....

'tis always wetter here anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

well yeah, i just find the general habit of going "yeah but it's not Somalia" to be a very hollow because while technically true, nobody is going to move there.

God knows I normally dont see eye to eye with Dudess ;) but on this one I agree wholeheartedly. The people in this country make it a fine place to live. One of the finest in the world. We should not lose sight of this. We have some problems but I would not want to live anywhere else and I am the furthest thing from a patriot you will find. Its safe, relatively well off, friendly, big social net if you fall off the path, good family structure, plenty of opportunity here even in the bad times. Of course we are never going to move to Somalia but it gives you an indication of what bad really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Bord Scannan na hEireann makes class films. I bet your just brain dead and sit around watching American Pie all night or some other piece of US trash. Culture my friend. Sit back, think about it. It's great when embraced.
    Bet you'be seen about 10 of the 170 Bord Scannan na hEireann movies?

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    God knows I normally dont see eye to eye with Dudess ;) but on this one I agree wholeheartedly. The people in this country make it a fine place to live. One of the finest in the world. We should not lose sight of this. We have some problems but I would not want to live anywhere else and I am the furthest thing from a patriot you will find. Its safe, relatively well off, friendly, big social net if you fall off the path, good family structure, plenty of opportunity here even in the bad times. Of course we are never going to move to Somalia but it gives you an indication of what bad really is.

If we're going to go into the merits of Ireland Vs other places to live I'd have thought it'd have been useful to limit to the places with make comparisons with to places people would actually go.

Like i said, otherwise it's a case of "shure isn't Ireland grand, I mean if ya think it's bad, go live on the moon! Asphyxiation will soften yer cough for ya!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If we're going to go into the merits of Ireland Vs other places to live I'd have thought it'd have been useful to limit to the places with make comparisons with to places people would actually go.

Like i said, otherwise it's a case of "shure isn't Ireland grand, I mean if ya think it's bad, go live on the moon! Asphyxiation will soften yer cough for ya!"

No what I am trying to say is people are saying Ireland is "really bad" but in fact we are only short a bit of perspective. Italy is 100 times more corrupt than we will ever be but because the sun shines and they make nice pizza we imagine its a paradise. Berlesconi invites 18 year old women to his palaces and they give him sexual favours in return for things and the Italian edition of Rolling Stone make him the rockstar of the year.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5AM2LV20091123

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dudess wrote: »

Ireland isn't without its problems of course (yes, Fianna Fáil are crooks - always were though, funny how it's only being noticed now that things are bad; woeful health service, crap infrastructure, it's too expensive) and I fully agree there is a chasm between the haves and have-nots - particularly so during the boom... however, call me presumptuous, but I'm going to consider it a safe bet that people who whinge on a message-board, rather than being a bit more pro-active, aren't particularly affected.

Aha! Bluff called! Although emigrating is probably not what you had in mind!

Seriously, though, the main reasons I left were more to do with close-mindedness and begrudger as well as overall greed than anythign mentioned above. That's soemthing I can never change.

But you are right - and herein lieth the crux of the problem - not matter how bad things get people will always reject change.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

, plenty of opportunity here even in the bad times.

I don't think Ireland in the 80's was like that!

No what I am trying to say is people are saying Ireland is "really bad" but in fact we are only short a bit of perspective. Italy is 100 times more corrupt than we will ever be but because the sun shines and they make nice pizza we imagine its a paradise. Berlesconi invites 18 year old women to his palaces and they give him sexual favours in return for things and the Italian edition of Rolling Stone make him the rockstar of the year.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5AM2LV20091123

to be fair, that IS pretty rock 'n' roll.

But yeah, you're right. Italy is a valid country for comparison to Ireland, not Burma.

Then again, i prefer living in the UK to living in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

What a great thread... bashing Ireland... and it truly does deserve it too...

I'll not go into the usual list, roads, health, government etc etc... No point been said a thousand times... and are all true!

But what I will say, living anywhere outside one of the bigger cities... Dublin, Cork or Galway and you're basically living in the dark ages... the people living in these areas are basically trolls who haven't a clue about the "real" world. they sprout this ****e about "it's grand living in the countryside...." what ****e 90% of the ****ing country is countryside due to the complete lack of infrastructure (crap, thought I said I wouldn't mention that).... Anyway I digress, I could write all day...

In a nutshell......... It is a ****hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

all countries have problems... on the whole, I like Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Noffles wrote: »
    What a great thread... bashing Ireland... and it truly does deserve it too...

I'll not go into the usual list, roads, health, government etc etc... No point been said a thousand times... and are all true!

But what I will say, living anywhere outside one of the bigger cities... Dublin, Cork or Galway and you're basically living in the dark ages... the people living in these areas are basically trolls who haven't a clue about the "real" world. they sprout this ****e about "it's grand living in the countryside...." what ****e 90% of the ****ing country is countryside due to the complete lack of infrastructure (crap, thought I said I wouldn't mention that).... Anyway I digress, I could write all day...

In a nutshell......... It is a ****hole!

the airport's that way
    >

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    the airport's that way
    >

Thanks for letting me know... would love to get a train to the airport like most civilized countries.... haha, not in Ireland =)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

furiousox wrote: »
    the airport's that way
    >

Not for much longer!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

... would love to get a train to the airport like most civilized countries.... haha, not in Ireland =)

Not for much longer!

Thanks for letting me know... would love to get a train to the airport like most civilized countries.... haha, not in Ireland =)

l'm just wondering why you choose to live here, seeing as its such a sh!thole?

CPL 593H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Like Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Melbourne, one of those places?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Like Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Melbourne, one of those places?

You're ****ing kidding me right... Perth? It's more backward than this place is!!

But anyway, you're getting away from the main point of ****holeness...

Don't just focus on one thing, there's a whole cocktail of things... and it's not just me thinking this either.

But I do understand you being defensive it's only right if it's your country.... thankfully it aint mine.

You're ****ing kidding me right... Perth? It's more backward than this place is!!

But anyway, you're getting away from the main point of ****holeness...

Don't just focus on one thing, there's a whole cocktail of things... and it's not just me thinking this either.

But I do understand you being defensive it's only right if it's your country.... thankfully it aint mine.

Perth is a lovely place.
    Well what gold-paved paradise are you from then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Ireland has gone to the dogs greed has got the better of some people ! i hate the people who live here and their backstabbing nature !! i'd really like to get out of this sh!th0le!!

Perth is a lovely place.
    Well what gold-paved paradise are you from then?

I don't believe we're discussing where Noffles is from?

Perth is a lovely place I agree, but in terms of keeping up with the rest of the world it doesn't, it's in the middle of the eighties.

But again we're not discussing Perth.

I don't believe we're discussing where Noffles is from?

Perth is a lovely place I agree, but in terms of keeping up with the rest of the world it doesn't, it's in the middle of the eighties.

But again we're not discussing Perth.

well you should really disbar yourself from this conversation if you're not willing to say where you're from.

Edit: You didn't happen to get dumped by whatever bird brought you here in the first place did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

gcgirl wrote: »
    Ireland has gone to the dogs greed has got the better of some people ! i hate the people who live here and their backstabbing nature !! i'd really like to get out of this sh!th0le!!

Most people I know in Ireland are fairly nice. I keep away from the few idiots and bad people I know. You need new friends, not a new country. :P

well you should really disbar yourself from this conversation if you're not willing to say where you're from.

Edit: You didn't happen to get dumped by whatever bird brought you here in the first place did you?

Now now... play fair, you're isolating my posts and simply picking on whatever I say... there are other people posting nastiness too you know.

But since you brought it up, no I didn't.

Now now... play fair, you're isolating my posts and simply picking on whatever I say... there are other people posting nastiness too you know.

But since you brought it up, no I didn't.

well if you think this place is that bad, you really need to travel a bit more. Considering where we came from and that in history most of our population just emigrated, we're not doing too bad. We have always been a relative backwater compared to the other Western European countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Everytime i look at the concern ads on tv, then i forget about how tough some people THINK they have it here. Get a grip you bitches.

To all the posters bitching about how awful it is to live here....

Why are you living here if its such a sh1thole??

Stop moaning about it, have the courage of your convictions and move somewhere "nicer"!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Moaning about this ****hole is part of what makes us Irish. We have always moaned about this country. The crap weather, the crap government, the crap weather. I suppose Irish people just have a bit of a negative outlook regarding the country, lets face it though it could be worse.

Thank your lucky stars we don't live in Paraguay.

• Advertisement

You moved here mate (and stayed), so is where you're from an even bigger sh!thole? :confused:

CPL 593H

Advertisement