Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a logged on PC in a public place (Windows 7)

• 02-12-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I want to use my domain account to log onto a PC in a public place at work on a large display.
    I want to be able to secure the PC by locking it but contine to display documents
    Any ways to do this without a screen-saver kicking in and ensuring nobody but me can access the pc?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If someone has physical access and time then assume they own the machine.

USB key + reboot and they are in.

at the very least you should have a non-domain guest type account with no privilages running the demo

but even then anyone with keyboard access can download / look up lots

there is a Kiosk mode you can use , where you run ONE app like IE , but even that isn't totally secure such that you'd let them run it as a domain account

lock the base unit in a press so they can't get at it , just leave them with a mouse with a broken right click button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks - I reckon locking this in a press is the way to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's reasonable, don't even join the thing to your domain. Do a fresh image, no information, no applications except what you actually need, log the machine on with a local guest account, and lock it in the press.
    Your only real concern then is theft.

Advertisement