Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little help with advice....

Options
  • 02-12-2009 4:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to attach this to an already existing thread but couldn't find one to suit.

A person i know has a rifle and shotgun. His extensions expired as of Monday 30th November. He still has not applied or even filled in his FCA1 for either firearm. I offered to help him with his application over 8 weeks ago and every week i reminded him to get them filled in and sent off. He still hasn't done it.

I can understand people's extensions running out as their applications are being processed but as the system trucks on the "Grace period" will become less and less graceful as the system gets into full swing. In other words it will get to a point were the system is fully functioning and licenses are being processed in a timely manner and no excuses for late (accidental or otherwise) will be entertained.

I have tried to advise, help, push, egg, urge him into getting it done to no avail. He wants to keep his firearms but why he hasn't applied is beyond me. Can someone some adept in finding the appropriate Acts, SIs, etc find out where he stands. The only thing i can see getting him to do something is to scare him into doing it.

I know it sounds silly for me to "worry" when he doesn't seem bothered but he must be under the impression that it still works like the old system, that you can go and apply whenever you get around to it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ezridax wrote: »
    I wanted to attach this to an already existing thread but couldn't find one to suit.

A person i know has a rifle and shotgun. His extensions expired as of Monday 30th November. He still has not applied or even filled in his FCA1 for either firearm. I offered to help him with his application over 8 weeks ago and every week i reminded him to get them filled in and sent off. He still hasn't done it.

I can understand people's extensions running out as their applications are being processed but as the system trucks on the "Grace period" will become less and less graceful as the system gets into full swing. In other words it will get to a point were the system is fully functioning and licenses are being processed in a timely manner and no excuses for late (accidental or otherwise) will be entertained.

I have tried to advise, help, push, egg, urge him into getting it done to no avail. He wants to keep his firearms but why he hasn't applied is beyond me. Can someone some adept in finding the appropriate Acts, SIs, etc find out where he stands. The only thing i can see getting him to do something is to scare him into doing it.

I know it sounds silly for me to "worry" when he doesn't seem bothered but he must be under the impression that it still works like the old system, that you can go and apply whenever you get around to it.
    o

To hell with him, he is old enough and should be in the right frame of mind to have been granted a licence in the first place, if he is that complacent and lazy he should have them taken off him, why should you worry about it, I doubt if he would be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

From the NARGC web site

Therefore, if licence applications are in the system at the end of an extension period but not yet issued, guns do not have to be handed in. If however the applications have not been made at the end of the extension period, then that is a different matter and the guns do have to be handed in. Also, if a refusal to grant has been made, even before the extension period has expired, the gun owner must dispose of the gun or hand it in to a dealer pending the determination of any appeal to the District Court.

This is from a Garda statement to the NARGC. Light a fire under your friends a*se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

o

To hell with him, he is old enough and should be in the right frame of mind to have been granted a licence in the first place, if he is that complacent and lazy he should have them taken off him, why should you worry about it, I doubt if he would be for you.

plus one on that!..im all for helping lads myself, godknows there is a steady path to my door over gun club and rifle shooting matters and ill go outta my way to help everyone that I can...but the attitude of that guy stinks , he is old enough to not need spoonfeeding..my advice is to let him sort it out for himself..you can lead a horse to water Ezridax;)-best man to sort him out is the local FO:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I would have thought that any 'Grace period' would really apply in cases where people were waiting for a YES or NO, after submitting an application.

By not even bothering to apply, he leaves very little scope for leniency \ understanding \ stretching \ blaming the slowness of the new system \ or call it what you will !! if the sh*t hits the fan.

Probably nothing would happen to him but this is the same country where they bring charges against people for having empty brass cases or 101 instead of 100 rounds etc. so it's anyones guess. However, if he won't listen then I don't see what else you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd be inclined to agree with deerhunter. There's only so much you can do for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Appreciate all the input especially the bit from the NARGC (sfakiaman) I know what you're all saying, its not giving up but why try to push someone to do something they have no interest in doing themselves. I just don't understand how after all the fighting and pushing to keep what we all have how some (and i'm sure there are more than this lad) still risk loosing what they have through ignorance/indifference.

This is the only reason i'm pushing him, i'd hate to see anyone loose their gun for any reason (other than someone who no longer wants it of course). Maybe the bit about having to surrender the guns will spur him into action. Watch this space i suppose.

Again thanks lads.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had the same trouble with my son who kept putting it on the long finger. He has applied but twice now the forms have been returned as uncomplete, but he's getting going on it.

As to your friend the guns won't be taken of him but he may/will have to put them into a dealers until he get the licenses sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Appreciate all the input especially the bit from the NARGC (sfakiaman) I know what you're all saying, its not giving up but why try to push someone to do something they have no interest in doing themselves. I just don't understand how after all the fighting and pushing to keep what we all have how some (and i'm sure there are more than this lad) still risk loosing what they have through ignorance/indifference.

This is the only reason i'm pushing him, i'd hate to see anyone loose their gun for any reason (other than someone who no longer wants it of course). Maybe the bit about having to surrender the guns will spur him into action. Watch this space i suppose.

Again thanks lads.

Offer to buy the guns off him as he does not want them any more, might get him thinking about losing them.

Their's quite a few round my way not bothering, they see the new form as an affront and not worth the bother,
    maybe give a few old gun mags to get him thinking about the joys of gun ownership.

Hope it works out for him,

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

lazy fecker ..... learn hard way i guess..... and how could you feel sorry for him when he is forced to han in his firearms.

Have officially washed my hands of this problem. Gave him all the scare tactics and hard facts (surrender, store or license them) and the answer i got was "i'll try get around to it shortly". When i told him he may store the firearms until he submits his applicaion of the Gardai could come looking for them (scare tactic) the reply was "if they're gonna do that sure there is nothing i can do to stop them"..............Yes there is........LICENSE THEM.

Anyway enough head banging. Some people are beyond hope.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

He doesn't deserve to have them IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Have officially washed my hands of this problem. Gave him all the scare tactics and hard facts (surrender, store or license them) and the answer i got was "i'll try get around to it shortly". When i told him he may store the firearms until he submits his applicaion of the Gardai could come looking for them (scare tactic) the reply was "if they're gonna do that sure there is nothing i can do to stop them"..............Yes there is........LICENSE THEM.

Anyway enough head banging. Some people are beyond hope.

Thanks all.

Sounds like you've been a very good friend to the guy, but what can you do, at the end of the day it's his responceability to license the guns.
    Would he try so hard to help you see the light if you were blind to a matter of some sort?

HJ:)

Okay, i tried to wash my hands of the above situation but it has started up again. The person in question came over the other day with his FCA1s. I sat down and filled them in with him. I got all the info i could help him with then gave him a list of the remaining information he needed. Would only have taken an hour to collect (photos, 1 more referee, gundealer pulse ID).

He told me that he would get them in the morning (this was last Tuesday). I told him out straight that i will not be associated with him until he acts. I'm not risking my licenses or firearms. He still hasn't gotten the remaining information (to date).

My question now is, can someone definitively tell (or show) me what is the situation now? Can he still apply with expired extensions? Have you a deadline after which no applications may be accepted or can you apply anytime, even after the expiry of your extensions, assuming your firearms are stored in a dealers. And (i already know this) he does have to surrender the firearms as he is not covered by the "Grace Period" issued by the Gardai to those that have not recieved their licenses by the expiry of their extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Ez, I totally understand your predicament - You're still trying to help the lad out and have (from what you describe) bent over back-wards to assist him (down to almost filling in the forms for him)....

At this stage, I think you're well entitled to wash your hands and next time this chap asks for help (probably sometime around the time the guard's write to him telling him to hand-in/destroy his firearms), you should simply and politely tell him that you have tried your best to steer him right and that all your advice and assistance to date has, at best, not been acted upon - and, at worst, been ignored.

Again, I appreciate that you're are trying to help a lad out (that's the kinda lad you are) - But there is only so far you can or should take this.

If you know him well enough to be worried for him - you should know him well enough to tell him "where to get off" (as the yanks might phrase it).

You can't help them that can't help themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

So long as none of the firearms are the time-limited variety (centre fire pistols) he can apply for a licence anytime he likes provided he no longer has possession of them.

Appreciate what you're saying dCorbus and like the rest of the lads here you are right, but the thing is i hate to see anyone loose their firearms no matter the way it happens (refusal, ignorance, etc)

I meant what i said in my earlier post about washing my hands of him, but it was he that came to me so i thought maybe he was coming round and copping on. Then he relapsed. Seems he does a bit then stops. I want to be able to tell him he has to do, X, Y, Z. No speculation, no scare tatics, just plain fact/law.

As i mentioned i have not nor will not shoot with him. Not risking what i have, and i told him so. Then to beat the band he tells me he is thinking of getting a new rifle :confused:. He should concentrate on the ones he has (for however long).
    Originally Posted by rrpc
    So long as none of the firearms are the time-limited variety (centre fire pistols) he can apply for a licence anytime he likes provided he no longer has possession of them.

He has a centrefire rifle and DB shotgun. I told him to surrender the firearms until the applications go through. Would love to say the warning went in one ear and out the other, but it didn't even penetrate the one ear. :mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

He has a centrefire rifle and DB shotgun. I told him to surrender the firearms until the applications go through. Would love to say the warning went in one ear and out the other, but it didn't even penetrate the one ear. :mad::eek:
    Oh dear :eek:

It's his problem ezridax and not yours, so let him on with it until the Gardai knock on his door and then send him the 'told you so' card. ;)

You're just gonna drive yourself around the bend dealing with this lad!:eek:

Sounds like you've done everything possible to help him out in everyway and all to no avail. I fully take your point about not wanting to see a man lose his firearms - But what can you do? He should (and has to) take responsibility for his own actions.

Don't wreck your head over it - Afterall, and this may sound harsh, it's not your rifles which will be lost, just some lad who couldn't bother his own arse to fill in a relatively simple form.

(Bet he'd be quick enough if it was a grant form!:D)

He's obviously a good mate - but as a mate you should set him straight and tell him that he's wasting your f***in' time and energy and that 1 hour spent helping him out is 1 hour of your life you're not gonna get back.
    Harsh words - but maybe that's the kick in the arse he needs?

That's if he's a good mate.

If he's not, don't bother, coz you'll get no thanks either way.

dCorbus wrote: »
    That's if he's a good mate.

Not so much, just a fellow shooter that happens to live close.
    If he's not, don't bother, coz you'll get no thanks either way.

Just reading back through the thread and i sound like one of those lads i'd normally tell to cop on. Anyway cheers again lads.

i sound like one of those lads i'd normally tell to cop on

You said it!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

F--K him and the horse he rode in on, I hope he gets prosecuted and has his firearms confiscated, the shooting world can do without pwople like him.:mad:

Advertisement