Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hurling under floodlights-what settings??

• 02-12-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

im shooting a hurling match tonight under floodlight, de equipment i will have is a d80 and 80-200 f2.8, my question is what shutter speed and iso should i use with such a camera and lens??
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/conorbyrne/4156303176/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

conair01 wrote: »
    im shooting a hurling match tonight under floodlight, de equipment i will have is a d80 and 80-200 f2.8, my question is what shutter speed and iso should i use with such a camera and lens??

id start with iso of about 2000 at f2.8 and gauge it from there i done a rugby match the other night under lights and with them settings shot at about 1/500 shutter speed i may have bumped up the iso to 3200 as the night went on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Keep ISO at about 800 at the highest for that camera. Even at that there might be a lot of noise in your shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

f/2.8, 1/400 shutter speed (maybe even step down to 1/320) and then whatever ISO you need (more than likely ISO 1600).

After that, it's trial and error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Your range isn't going to be too far with an 80-200mm so the best thing to do is to set your shutter speed at 1/500 and aperture at f2.8 and take a photo of the grass around 20 metres in front of you.

Use that as your guide and change your ISO to get a correct exposure of the grass. If your ISO goes too high for you then reduce your shutter speed. The grass acts as a grey card so your exposure should be close enough at that. You may need minor tweaks to perfect it.

I would imagine the lights are going to be pretty poor so you're going to have lots of dark spots on the pitch where the exposure won't be the best.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

How did it go ?
    Would be interested in seeing a photo or 2 and what settings worked best for you.
    Thanks, John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

i pasted a link at the top but i forget how to embed a photograph into the thread itself...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

i pasted a link at the top but i forget how to embed a photograph into the thread itself...:confused:

That's a good pic.
    What settings were you using at the time?

Advertisement