Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy rivers in wicklow/dublin for kayaking

• 02-12-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Me and a friend have been kayaking for a while both with very little prior experience but learning.
    I know yeah we should join a club but amongst other activites and full time bar work we both just don't have time to commit to a club.
    We were just thinking of taking on a nice easy river to start off with, get out on some moving water etc.. so if anyone could suggest anywhere that would be ideal it would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 live to kayak

well some rivers in the wiclow mountains have changed in the floods so its hard to tell whats easy or not. I would recommend going with some one thats a good rescuer as most rivers will take swimmers. One river running really well is the Avonmore+you can get into clara lara:D.I do stress take a verrrrrrry experienced kayaker with you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

despite the fact you don't have time I'd still recommend joining a club!
    In Dublin look at www.wwkc.net or in wicklow look at http://www.wicklowmountainskayakclub.com/blog/

For rivers have a look at www.irishwhitewater.com for guides.

But to re-emphasise what live to kayak said, always go out with someone who knows the river and is a good paddler themselves. even easy rivers (such as say the liffey or Boyne) have hazards which can be very dangerous if you did not know what you were looking at and where to go and not to go.

Advertisement