Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoddy Xbox

• 02-12-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

I unwisely purchased a pre-owned Xbox 360 two weeks ago and after having it breakdown due to a "hardware failure" (1 red light) I returned it to game today and they swapped it for another pre-owned console. This alone was terrible as I lost 25 hours of an Oblivion game I had been playing since I bought the damn thing. I asked if it could be repaired and the sales assistant told me that it couldn't and they could only give me another one.

Fair enough; I thought "at least I get to play some games this week"; not so fast. I just tried to connect up the replacement Xbox and the power supply unit does not actually fit the Xbox.

Why the fuck would microsoft produce different types of PSU connectors? I have to go back into town again (I live in county Wicklow) to get this problem fixed.

My question to you, wise console owners, is whether I should continue swapping out crappy pre-owned consoles ad infinitum or should I just return the whole unit and use the 150euro to buy a brand new elite Xbox (presumably the new ones don't get the red ring problem?)

Please don't judge me, I just want to be able to play some games over Christmas! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

I wouldn't get a elite as its a waste of mine in my opinion, who needs the large hdd? When u have all ur songs/movies etc on ur comp....or do u? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well would the new xboxes as opposed to old pre-owned ones not have the 'breaking' issue? I don't want to commit to another RPG if there is a 1/4 chance that the xbox could implode at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Id go for a new one if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Get a new machine – what kind of warranty would you have on a 2nd hand model?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

Valmont wrote: »
    I unwisely purchased a pre-owned Xbox 360 two weeks ago and after having it breakdown due to a "hardware failure" (1 red light) I returned it to game today and they swapped it for another pre-owned console. This alone was terrible as I lost 25 hours of an Oblivion game I had been playing since I bought the damn thing. I asked if it could be repaired and the sales assistant told me that it couldn't and they could only give me another one.

Fair enough; I thought "at least I get to play some games this week"; not so fast. I just tried to connect up the replacement Xbox and the power supply unit does not actually fit the Xbox.

Why the fuck would microsoft produce different types of PSU connectors? I have to go back into town again (I live in county Wicklow) to get this problem fixed.

My question to you, wise console owners, is whether I should continue swapping out crappy pre-owned consoles ad infinitum or should I just return the whole unit and use the 150euro to buy a brand new elite Xbox (presumably the new ones don't get the red ring problem?)

Please don't judge me, I just want to be able to play some games over Christmas! Thanks in advance.

I know how you feel! microsoft changed the power supplys to smaller more efficient ones recently for the jasper units. My advice would be never buy a pre-owned 360! If i were you i would try get a refund as soon as possible ! demand it , if you have to .. read what their policy is.... and do your best to get a refund,

I wouldn't of went for a pre-owned 360 , there was even a new elite for only 180 in Harvey Normans recently, Gamestop are doing good deals on elites aswell! I got a 250 gig elite with 2 controllers and forza for 299. and its a jasper , they wont ever become defective!

If you do get a refund make sure the console comes with the small power brick as it is a jasper unit , there have been no faults with them!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I guess when I head in next week I'll get a refund and put the money towards a new machine. I'll try and find out more on the xboxes that don't get the red ring- the jasper you say? Cheers anyway.

What shop did you buy your console in ? was it in Dublin city?? in game or gamestop ???

When you do go into get a refund, Mention your first console, it became faulty after what a week??? and they said they could only replace it??? THATS ILLEGAL! Go back and say that they sold you a faulty console and didnt give you a refund , All retailers supply a years guarantee on all xboxes also say that the power brick didn't connect since it was different!!! and also let them know of how long you traveled from Wicklow and express your dissapointment but be civil! i know for a fact in gamestop , it says on the bottom of their receipts ,''if any item is faulty we will replace or refund the item''!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The elite is just a waste of money unless you want the large hdd which most gamers dont actually need.

Buy a new arcade version if you already have a HDD all new arcade xboxes are jasper models and are almost free of rrod.
    As far as i know its also only about 20 or 30 quid more expensive then buying a pre owned xbox because I would advise against buying them because alot of my friends have traded in xboxes that are on there way to getting the redring and have bought arcade models instead.
    Also living in county wicklow why didnt you just go to one of the game shops in bray??

Also aviator all kinds of computer shops are saying that now because they say it is at their choice and not yours but if you even mention anything that sounds like legal jargon to them they run for the hills and give you a refund.
    Ive even had problems with Pc world saying that to me so now I have boycotted Pc world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

When you do go into get a refund, Mention your first console, it became faulty after what a week??? and they said they could only replace it??? THATS ILLEGAL! Go back and say that they sold you a faulty console and didnt give you a refund , All retailers supply a years guarantee on all xboxes also say that the power brick didn't connect since it was different!!!

After deciphering all that punctuation I've come to the realisation that you're talking crap. If a product is faulty then under consumer law you're entitled to a repair, replacement or refund at the seller's discretion. The OP asked if the item could be repaired, the shop chose to issue a replacement. They were entirely within their rights. Whilst the customer could have insisted on a refund and very well got it the fact remains it's at the shop's discretion.

It's poor form they gave the OP a newer xbox and the power brick doesn't fit it, but it's most likely an honest mistake. The OP chose to shop at Game in the City Centre so whinging about the travel to and from the shop is pretty pointless IMO but might get them a voucher if they talk to a nice customer service person

As an aside, if the OP had of asked to swap the hard drives between the two consoles at the time of their replacement they would still have their Oblivion savegame. What about purchasing a small memory card to copy the savegame to? It's the OP's fault they lost their game, frustrating as it is.

Personally I would insist on a refund myself citing the breaking of the first xbox and the fact you got messed around on the replacement. Then I'd stump up the extra money (70 euro) for the 120GB Elite deal that Amazon.co.uk have going on. The 120GB hard drive can be used to install games on so the xbox doesn't deafen you with drive spinning noise :) - It's worth the extra money over buying a new arcade version IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I know how you feel! microsoft changed the power supplys to smaller more efficient ones recently for the jasper units. My advice would be never buy a pre-owned 360! If i were you i would try get a refund as soon as possible ! demand it , if you have to .. read what their policy is.... and do your best to get a refund,

I wouldn't of went for a pre-owned 360 , there was even a new elite for only 180 in Harvey Normans recently, Gamestop are doing good deals on elites aswell! I got a 250 gig elite with 2 controllers and forza for 299. and its a jasper , they wont ever become defective!

If you do get a refund make sure the console comes with the small power brick as it is a jasper unit , there have been no faults with them!

I can only agree to one thing - get a new console.

New power supplies (150w) are less efficient than older ones (175w and 203w). Probably OP got older console but has newer power supply. You can connect old power supply to the newest xbox but not the other way.

Also new console are not immune to faults, they will have rrod as well, just less likely due to smaller die on GPU.

But I would definitely go with new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

djan wrote: »
    I wouldn't get a elite as its a waste of mine in my opinion, who needs the large hdd? When u have all ur songs/movies etc on ur comp....or do u? :)

Anyone who wants to install multiple games to the HDD for quicker loading times, much quieter/cooler operation, much-prolonged console life, maybe?

Just a thought...

Great post TouchingVirus, I didn't know that games could be installed on the hard drive. I actually had a towel wrapped around the xbox to quieten it a bit. I fully intend to switch the console out for a new one soon. I just hope they give me a cash refund and not insist I take another from them as I absolutely do not want to be held in eternal suspense as to when the thing is going break again. I realise I could have avoided all of this had I done my research before buying the pre-owned console but I guess they just don't build these sorts of items to last anymore. I mean, my SNES still works fine after all these years!
    The OP asked if the item could be repaired, the shop chose to issue a replacement.
    I had no problem with this at the time as it was explained that it was all they could possibly do although it seems they could have switched the hard drives for me.
    It's the OP's fault they lost their game, frustrating as it is.
    It isn't my fault that I lost the game, I don't know anything about xboxes so the idea of switching the hard drives didn't occur to me. Ideally they would have suggested it to me but it's not that big a deal. I wanted to change my class in Oblivion anyway:D I just hate having to go back over the early missions and having to have epic fights to death with rats and mud crabs.
    The OP chose to shop at Game in the City Centre so whinging about the travel to and from the shop is pretty pointless IMO but might get them a voucher if they talk to a nice customer service person
    I don't intend to even mention it to them, I was just venting here really. I'm sure I'll get an apology if the same guy is there on Monday. He was a pleasure to deal with and the original broken xbox wasn't his fault anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Valmont wrote: »
    I actually had a towel wrapped around the xbox to quieten it a bit.

Oh dear...

Beef wrote: »
    Oh dear...

lol I didn't know where to start with that myself!!!

consultech wrote: »
    lol I didn't know where to start with that myself!!!

What?! It worked!

''Also aviator all kinds of computer shops are saying that now because they say it is at their choice and not yours but if you even mention anything that sounds like legal jargon to them they run for the hills and give you a refund.
    Ive even had problems with Pc world saying that to me so now I have boycotted Pc world.''

Well 1. i don't think your opinion of buying an arcade console is wise at all. Firstly the Elites are worth the money, i have a 250 Gig Super 360 Elite, i got 2 controllers forza 3 , fight night round 4 and a HD twice the size of the original elites for 299 euro, it doesn't take a mathematician to see what your saving!

Secondly about your ''legal jargon'' It really depends on the manager , i went through 3 consoles with gamestop, On the 3rd console, i got sick of getting replaced with ****ty Halo 3 consoles and i sent a letter of complaint to the manager informing him of my problems and the supply of goods and services act 1980, Took a week for a reply but in the end i ended getting back all the money i paid for the deal ! and went off and got myself the new 250 Gig elite which i can rely on ,,, because theres a significant difference in noise and temperature! the console runs smoother and plays quicker.

docentore wrote: »
    I can only agree to one thing - get a new console.

''New power supplies (150w) are less efficient than older ones (175w and 203w). Probably OP got older console but has newer power supply. You can connect old power supply to the newest xbox but not the other way.

Also new console are not immune to faults, they will have rrod as well, just less likely due to smaller die on GPU''.

You obviously know nothing about the new jaspers ! because you more likely dont have one! and you just cant afford one! what you said is completely a load of *****!!! how the hell can they be ''less efficient than older ones''???

I have one and it runs a 100 % smoother and quieter than my last consoles they load quicker too!, plus i can install every game to my 250 Gig HD making it more reliable!

The older versions which i had 3 of them!!! are not one way at all ''more efficient'' than the jaspers. They older ones had a failure rate of 55 %!!! not just including the rrod but other faults like disk drive errors, overheating, Laser issues etc...However the New jaspers currently have a failure rate of 0 %! there have been no reports of them failing from anyone who has purchased one!!! and i completely dissagree with your ''prediction'' of the jaspers getting the Rrod anytime soon!!!

After deciphering all that punctuation I've come to the realisation that you're talking crap. If a product is faulty then under consumer law you're entitled to a repair, replacement or refund at the seller's discretion. The OP asked if the item could be repaired, the shop chose to issue a replacement. They were entirely within their rights. Whilst the customer could have insisted on a refund and very well got it the fact remains it's at the shop's discretion.

It's poor form they gave the OP a newer xbox and the power brick doesn't fit it, but it's most likely an honest mistake. The OP chose to shop at Game in the City Centre so whinging about the travel to and from the shop is pretty pointless IMO but might get them a voucher if they talk to a nice customer service person

As an aside, if the OP had of asked to swap the hard drives between the two consoles at the time of their replacement they would still have their Oblivion savegame. What about purchasing a small memory card to copy the savegame to? It's the OP's fault they lost their game, frustrating as it is.

Personally I would insist on a refund myself citing the breaking of the first xbox and the fact you got messed around on the replacement. Then I'd stump up the extra money (70 euro) for the 120GB Elite deal that Amazon.co.uk have going on. The 120GB hard drive can be used to install games on so the xbox doesn't deafen you with drive spinning noise :) - It's worth the extra money over buying a new arcade version IMO.

What you mean i am talking ''crap'' ??? you just agreed that getting a refund is completely legitimate!!! He purchased the console and he has 21 days to get a full refund on it! even if he just doesn't like it!. And don't ****ing correct my knowledge of the law! i legally got a full refund on my console recently!!!

And by the staff giving him the different console with the power unit just proves how unprofessional staff are working in game retailers, they know NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS OR CONSOLES !!! I have gone into a gamestop where i informed the sales assistant my console had the 3 red rings and was completely under the years guarantee. He quotes '' EHH i think you might have to buy a new hardrive , because your hardrive is broke and you need a new one'' I just laughed at this and asked for the manager whom had given me what i wanted. This just shows how unarticulated and unprofessional the staff are , and do not deserve a job working there!!! The OP properly had an idiot of sales assistant who caused this problem in the first place!

Oh boy. When you will turn 10 maybe you will be taught to read with understanding. I was referring to power suplies. Hm, they do break believe me, there is no such a thing like failure rate 0%. I wont be commenting on other things. Lol

docentore wrote: »
    Oh boy. When you will turn 10 maybe you will be taught to read with understanding. I was referring to power suplies. Hm, they do break believe me, there is no such a thing like failure rate 0%. I wont be commenting on other things. Lol

Your just lying !, you dont have a new power unit , because you can only afford the cheaper xbox 360! Get a life!

And when i turn 10? is that the best you retaliate with? i can guarantee my education is properly a hundred times greater than yours will ever be, and it looks like you, the idiot you are, has to go back to primary school as there is such thing as a failure rate of 0% because none of them have become defective you stupid little lowlife!!!

• Advertisement

Your just lying !, you dont have a new power unit , because you can only afford the cheaper xbox 360! Get a life!

And when i turn 10? is that the best you retaliate with? i can guarantee my education is properly a hundred times greater than yours will ever be, and it looks like you, the idiot you are, has to go back to primary school as there is such thing as a failure rate of 0% because none of them have become defective you stupid little lowlife!!!

you're funny kiddo. really made my evening. now go play your toys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What you mean i am talking ''crap'' ??? you just agreed that getting a refund is completely legitimate!!! He purchased the console and he has 21 days to get a full refund on it! even if he just doesn't like it!. And don't ****ing correct my knowledge of the law! i legally got a full refund on my console recently!!!

Cool the jets there Padawan, there's no need for the uber-hostility. I'll feel free to correct you when you're laying claim to things being illegal when they're not. Your original sensationalist post belonged on forums attached to some tabloid rag or the Joe Duffy show.

You misread the first post in the thread. You read that the only thing the shop were willing to offer the OP was a replacement and said it's illegal. It isn't illegal. Under consumer law, to remedy a faulty goods issue there are the 3 R's ..Repair, Replacement, Refund. The OP wanted a repair, one couldn't be provided. The shop offered a replacement, it was taken. It isn't illegal for the shop not to offer a refund, the choice of which of the 3 R's to offer is at the shop's discretion and not the customers.

Secondly, you're wrong on another thing. Any shop that allows you to return goods because you don't want them or offer an X day money back guarantee are doing so to of their own free will. Under the Sale of Goods Act a consumer has no rights to a refund/exchange if they simply change their mind on a product unless they are buying online (at which point the "Cooling Off" period comes into play). Here, have a quoted paragraph from the National Consumer Agency:
    Changing your mind

Remember that you have no rights under consumer law if you simply change your mind and decide you don't want to keep the goods that you have bought.

However, some shops offer to accept returns of goods (with labels/packaging attached) and give you an exchange or refund within a certain amount of time after the purchase. This is shop policy and a gesture of goodwill and not a legal requirement on the shop.

And by the staff giving him the different console with the power unit just proves how unprofessional staff are working in game retailers, they know NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS OR CONSOLES !!! I have gone into a gamestop where i informed the sales assistant my console had the 3 red rings and was completely under the years guarantee. He quotes '' EHH i think you might have to buy a new hardrive , because your hardrive is broke and you need a new one'' I just laughed at this and asked for the manager whom had given me what i wanted. This just shows how unarticulated and unprofessional the staff are , and do not deserve a job working there!!! The OP properly had an idiot of sales assistant who caused this problem in the first place!

Ineptitude of the staff hasn't really got a place here. I struggle to see the relevance of your little rant. Guess that one was just aching to get out? :rolleyes:

@Valmont: I'm sorry if it appeared I was unsympathetic to your plight or the fact you lost your save game. I know how frustrating it is when things don't "just work". My point was that you've only yourself to blame for not checking out the options to retain your savegame before you went back to the shop :)

I would mention, but not harp on about, the fact that you've had to come into Dublin twice over this issue. It wouldn't be a main point of argument for me, but it would be mentioned. A voucher or small bit of money off a new xbox would be nice, never know what you're gonna get unless you ask :P

Remember, if you're not happy with their offer to remedy this situation you can go further to the Small Claims Court. Most shops know this, prefer to avoid the hassle and if you seem like the sort who'd go the distance will buckle and refund you. A new elite from Game/Gamestop is the same as one from Amazon.co.uk, but you get more for your money with bundle deals mentioned in other threads here on boards :)

I don't think it will go that far at all, I have been gaming for years (I have always been a PC gamer until recently) and I have only ever bought games from this one store so I'm sure they will help me out. The staff are all decent chaps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

aviator take a week's break for personal abuse.

As someone else said already everybody CHILL

''Also aviator all kinds of computer shops are saying that now because they say it is at their choice and not yours but if you even mention anything that sounds like legal jargon to them they run for the hills and give you a refund.
    Ive even had problems with Pc world saying that to me so now I have boycotted Pc world.''

Well 1. i don't think your opinion of buying an arcade console is wise at all. Firstly the Elites are worth the money, i have a 250 Gig Super 360 Elite, i got 2 controllers forza 3 , fight night round 4 and a HD twice the size of the original elites for 299 euro, it doesn't take a mathematician to see what your saving!

Secondly about your ''legal jargon'' It really depends on the manager , i went through 3 consoles with gamestop, On the 3rd console, i got sick of getting replaced with ****ty Halo 3 consoles and i sent a letter of complaint to the manager informing him of my problems and the supply of goods and services act 1980, Took a week for a reply but in the end i ended getting back all the money i paid for the deal ! and went off and got myself the new 250 Gig elite which i can rely on ,,, because theres a significant difference in noise and temperature! the console runs smoother and plays quicker.

There is no guarantee that you will get a jasper elite and the matter of 300 euro for something that if you already have a HDD for an xbox you can get an arcade for 180.
    If you have the cash then yeh by all means buy an Elite.
    But for the arcade bundles you can get with an extra controller and 2 games if you already have a HDD then its just silly paying the extra for an elite.
    Also I cant justify or understand someone justifying spending 300 quid for an xbox when to be quite honest they arent worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Evolute wrote: »
    There is no guarantee that you will get a jasper elite and the matter of 300 euro for something that if you already have a HDD for an xbox you can get an arcade for 180.
    If you have the cash then yeh by all means buy an Elite.
    But for the arcade bundles you can get with an extra controller and 2 games if you already have a HDD then its just silly paying the extra for an elite.
    Also I cant justify or understand someone justifying spending 300 quid for an xbox when to be quite honest they arent worth it.
    Actually it's quite easy to determine whether your console is a Jasper or not simply by checking the barcode area of the box for the relevant info.

As for it being worth the money, well with no real alternative when looking for a bigger hard drive, combined with...
    consultech wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to install multiple games to the HDD for quicker loading times, much quieter/cooler operation...

...I'd have to disagree with you on that point. :)

gizmo wrote: »

Why so?

gizmo wrote: »
    Actually it's quite easy to determine whether your console is a Jasper or not simply by checking the barcode area of the box for the relevant info.

As for it being worth the money, well with no real alternative when looking for a bigger hard drive, combined with...

I know that you can check through the hole on the back of the box thats how i have my jasper arcade now because I refused outright to take the first box they gave me as it had dust and no hole in the back to check if it was a jasper or not.

But the price for an elite regardless of how large the HDD is happens to be ridiculous if your going to spend 300 euro on a console buy a ps3 atleast you will have a blu ray player. This is comming from someone who hates the ps3 by the way

Advertisement