Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RUNNNG ESB CABLES

• 02-12-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this. im working on a new build at the moment. its 42 metres from the electricity pole at the top of the driveway to the electricity metre at the house.

1. is it ok for me to use 2" electrical conduit in the trench that ive dug? ( the red stuff )

2. can anyone recommend a place that i could buy this? may be cheaper up north??

thyanks very much in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i would check this with esb themselves and also get the relevant standards for the trench ( depth blinding tape etc)
    They can be funny about poles for example and insist on you having one!

Maybe move this to electrical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The standard service cable is fine for a distance of 42meters using the 50mm ducting.. Just make sure you get the right ducting, not get black for example because its cheaper. You may live to regret it if they make you take it back up. It has to be the red stuff.

The minimum distance below ground is 600mm. Then yellow marking tape at a minimum of 300mm from the cabinet to the pole. And the rope shouldn't be snagged or knotted. best to bring the duct straight as possible. And you will need a hockey stick for the meter cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

i would check this with esb themselves and also get the relevant standards for the trench ( depth blinding tape etc)
    They can be funny about poles .

Maybe move this to electrical? they have put a new pole up at the corner of the garden. how do i move tis to electrical??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Davy wrote: »
    The standard service cable is fine for a distance of 42meters using the 50mm ducting.. Just make sure you get the right ducting, not get black for example because its cheaper. You may live to regret it if they make you take it back up. It has to be the red stuff.

The minimum distance below ground is 600mm. Then yellow marking tape at a minimum of 300mm from the cabinet to the pole. And the rope shouldn't be snagged or knotted. best to bring the duct straight as possible. And you will need a hockey stick for the meter cabinet.
    thanks davy. top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would still ring the esb and ask. they can send you out all the information you need.

there is certain specs and standards that you will need to follow.

also just a thought but would you not make it slightly bigger than what you need just in case you have to pull more cables in future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

He could but there is a big difference between the red 50mm ducting and the 110mm red ducting in price.
    I had to run the 110mm stuff and it was pricey.
    I do agree that it is handy if you have to fish more cable later but what are you going to put in 3 phase?

OP remember to get a roll of the yellow warning tape to put above the conduit as you backfill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Over 40m is kind of long for a standard service (35s/25s) tbh, that's not to say that's not what they're running though.

If they've stood a new pole, then it's safe to assume that either an NT or engineering officer has done a design on it. Give the local office a call, ask them to look at the authorisation and confirm what service cable they're using.

If it's above the norm (ie. 70s/50s) then you should really be putting in 100mm ducting (4 inch in old money), and an inspection cover in the path below the cabinet, and 2 inch after into the cabinet itself. Otherwise standard 50mm will be fine, from pole, via hockey stick up into the cabinet (but not protruding more than an inch or two in!)

Duct is minimum 600mm deep, tape 300mm.

Spec here: http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/metering_specification_rev_9.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 2011newbuild

We're doing a new build, and paid the ESB Networks connection fee of €1750. Following site survey, have been told we may need to dig trenches across the road to the service station...I had thought we were only responsible for ducting to our site entrance, and the standard fee covered esb networks to d the rest. does this make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If you are running 40m of ducting it's quite long, if you use the 50mm duct the run would need to be very straight, that length of cable in a 50mm duct with any bends at all would be hard to pull the cable through... there is a booklet you can download from the ESB site with all the details for ducting and distances..over a certain distance you must use the larger red duct.
    The lads in our area are notorious for turning up, "trying" to pull the cable (usually from sitting in the jeep).. then the supervisor will ring you saying it's impossible and you need to pull it for them or else dig it up and sort out the blockage..:rolleyes:.. I know of a number of builds where this happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

its an old thread
    rev blue jeans hasnt posted in a while but

this time
    im a believer
    sweet caroline(knows this)
    solitary man
    can anybody hear me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Hello Again! :D