Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting email data to Access database

Options
  • 02-12-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

Our website has an application form which works well. The problem is that the submitted info comes in an e-mail which is very difficult to read - a mass of text, both questions and answers, all together. We manage but it's a bit of a pain.

Is there an easy way of converting this info into an Access database? The website software is Wexsite x5, fairly basic. I've tried to find the answer elsewhere but got bogged down in PHP and other stuff that means nothing to me. I should say that I've no programming skills.

This is probably a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

Comments

First and foremost, the task you wish to accomplish will require programming. I'm unclear about a couple of things.

1) I don't know the package you mention, but it should be possible to clean up the email it generates from the contact form, assuming the clutter is caused by it rather than what is typed into the contact form.

2) Is the database requirement an effort to clean up the response, or is it being done for archival purposes?

3) Does it have to be an access db?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

First and foremost, the task you wish to accomplish will require programming. I'm unclear about a couple of things.

1) I don't know the package you mention, but it should be possible to clean up the email it generates from the contact form, assuming the clutter is caused by it rather than what is typed into the contact form.

2) Is the database requirement an effort to clean up the response, or is it being done for archival purposes?

3) Does it have to be an access db?

1) I've looked at the package, website x5, and can't see any way to influence the format in which the info appears in the e-mails.

2) The database requirement is both archival and ease of use

3) No, it doesn't necessarily have to be Access, that's just the one we use most.

If this sheds any light on it, great. From what I've read online, MySQL seems to be mentioned a lot but unless my host company can do something for me there, I'm sunk.

Thanks

Again, I'm unfamiliar with the package, but I think it generates forms using a wizard and spits out php files? Is that the case? If so, it's possible to edit the php files to format the email nicely.

You can also add code to store the email details in a mysql database on the host at the same time. You would then need a front end to query that database, and secure it with a login system or similar. Unfortunately, if your package can't generate that front end for you, somebody will need to hand code it, but it shouldn't be a big job.

Again, I'm unfamiliar with the package, but I think it generates forms using a wizard and spits out php files? Is that the case? If so, it's possible to edit the php files to format the email nicely.

You can also add code to store the email details in a mysql database on the host at the same time. You would then need a front end to query that database, and secure it with a login system or similar. Unfortunately, if your package can't generate that front end for you, somebody will need to hand code it, but it shouldn't be a big job.

Thanks SB,

My problem is that I literally bought the package and muddled my way through to produce the website, so terms like 'front end', etc. are a mystery to me unfortunately - sorry.

The host company tell me that they support MySQL, so that's a small plus of sorts I suppose. As far as I can tell, the website package does use php files but I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to edit them.

I'm not against the idea of paying to get it done but cost would have to be fairly reasonable or boss will simply say that we've managed so far, etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

That is the problem with off the shelf packages - they do the basic stuff well, but if you need to customize problems creep in. Think of the time it took you to consider the options available, select the web package, purchase it, install it, figure it out and develop the website. Calculate the number of hours and your hourly wage - honestly , and add the cost of the package. It adds up to a fair few bob, right?

Getting the existing site upgraded to do what you want to do will cost a few bob too. It may be (depending on the quality of the code generated by that package), that it's better to start again. Basically you have 3 options:

1. Put up with what you've got
    2. Pay a professional to do what you need
    3. Do some research and code it yourself

I would suggest that #2 is the correct option - an efficient system will reduce labour and ultimately pay your boss back. A professional will be able to do the job quickly. The hourly rate may be high, but the number of hours required will be much lower than if you get a non-professional to do it.

edit: not suggesting for a moment that you aren't professional, my point is you aren't a web developer from what I can see from your posts.

• Advertisement

That is the problem with off the shelf packages - they do the basic stuff well, but if you need to customize problems creep in. Think of the time it took you to consider the options available, select the web package, purchase it, install it, figure it out and develop the website. Calculate the number of hours and your hourly wage - honestly , and add the cost of the package. It adds up to a fair few bob, right?

Getting the existing site upgraded to do what you want to do will cost a few bob too. It may be (depending on the quality of the code generated by that package), that it's better to start again. Basically you have 3 options:

1. Put up with what you've got
    2. Pay a professional to do what you need
    3. Do some research and code it yourself

I would suggest that #2 is the correct option - an efficient system will reduce labour and ultimately pay your boss back. A professional will be able to do the job quickly. The hourly rate may be high, but the number of hours required will be much lower than if you get a non-professional to do it.

edit: not suggesting for a moment that you aren't professional, my point is you aren't a web developer from what I can see from your posts.

Ah, I've been rumbled - so you worked out that I'm not a web developer!! Only joking.
    I take your point and you're probably right about getting it done by an outsider but realistically that will mean putting up with what we have I suspect.
    I appreciate your input though, thanks.

Advertisement