Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the public sector losing 3.8% due to 12 days unpaid leave?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Or am i completely wrong with my calculations?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

4.6% I think.

12 days off / 260 paid day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

jhegarty wrote: »
    4.6% I think.

I am thinking 2 weeks out of 52 which is 3.8% i think. I ain't great at maths and working this kind of jazz out. Have we any other takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ECO_WARRIOR

No , they are losing nothing , they are gaining!

When someone else is on their holidays , somebody else gets paid an overtime rate to cover them and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

No , they are losing nothing , they are gaining!

When someone else is on their holidays , somebody else gets paid an overtime rate to cover them and visa versa.

Typical uninformed rabble rousing response :mad: - I'm a civil servant who does shift work and i can assure you that we do NOT get overtime for covering annual leave.
    TBH I'm sick of these kind of comments and the whole public v private arguement, its distracting everyone - our anger over the current economic situation is better combined and aimed at those in power whose incompetence has put us in the position we are in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jhegarty wrote: »
    4.6% I think.

This is about right. No overtime will be paid to cover those who are out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

rosser44 wrote: »
    our anger over the current economic situation is better combined and aimed at those in power whose incompetence has put us in the position we are in at the moment.

tumbleweed going down the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

macca1983 wrote: »
    I am thinking 2 weeks out of 52 which is 3.8% i think. I ain't great at maths and working this kind of jazz out. Have we any other takers?

Why take two week out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

They're maintaining their terms and conditions of pay intact, which is what it was all about.

A stupid move by the government, and Cowen is wriggling already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rosser44 wrote: »
    ... our anger over the current economic situation is better combined and aimed at those in power whose incompetence has put us in the position we are in at the moment.

But we will still need to deal with the situation.

I wish people could separate the question of blame from the need to address our problems. It's becoming a bit like a road accident where a dispute about which driver is responsible gets in the way of the ambulance crew assisting the injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

I never suggested or spoke out against public sector cuts, its something thats unavoidable in some shape or form and necessary for the common good.
    I'm simply sick to death of the bullsh1t tabloidesque attacks and false statements that show up again and again in relation to the public service. We dont all eat kittens for breakfast and wipe our a$$es with 500 euro notes.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wish people could separate the question of blame from the need to address our problems. It's becoming a bit like a road accident where a dispute about which driver is responsible gets in the way of the ambulance crew assisting the injured.

I like that analogy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

In the case of teachers who, with their holidays, only work approx 170 days anyway, a reduction of 12 days is a reduction of about 7% of their annual working year.

Will their pay be reduced by a similar amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

2 weeks = 10 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Im just dreading future wage comparisons which are invariably based on net salary and therefore will not take into account yet another compulsory salary deduction. I can see the headlines already :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

EF wrote: »
    Im just dreading future wage comparisons which are invariably based on net salary and therefore will not take into account yet another compulsory salary deduction. I can see the headlines already :rolleyes:

The same goes for medical card applications. They won't let you take the pension levy into consideration and they won't let this 12 days unpaid leave be considered either in all likelihood. Even though your take home pay will be way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gerry28 wrote: »
    2 weeks = 10 working days
    ....for those who work an 8 hour shift.

2 weeks for me is 7 working days and in some areas, 2 weeks equates to 5 working days.

Advertisement