Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT APPEAL: Dogs in Distress at Christmas

• 02-12-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

I volunteer with an amazing dog welfare charity called Dogs in Distress (DID). Dogs in Distress (DID) are very different as their work is based entirely at and in association with Ashtown dog pound. This means they have no permanent premises. DID make a difference by placing dogs from the pound into foster homes. They remain with their foster family for 2-6 weeks, until fully rehabilitated at which stage they are ready to find their final forever home. In the meantime volunteers like me visit the pound whenever we can to walk the dogs. When people consider rehoming a dog Ashtown pound is rarely their first port of call and this is what makes DID’s work so special.

Dogs in Distress offer these dogs a chance of a loving home. It is also crucial to point out that Ashtown pound does not destroy any healthy dog that is brought in! However as Christmas approaches the pound is getting very crowded. This means that although the staff at the pound do their very best the dogs are often very stressed.

We are looking for a compassionate and knowledgeable person to consider fostering one very special lady. She is a beautiful brindle staffordshire bull terrier who I have named Angel. Cast all of the negative images you have of the breed out of your mind. Isolated incidences are due to ignorance and poor dog handling on the owners part. She is approximately 2, walks very well on the lead, is responsive to people and is in perfect health. However when I went up to the pound today I found a very different dog. She has become profoundly depressed in kennels and is beginning to refuse food. We need to foster her to people who have experience of the breed or other strong breeds. A quite home would suit Angel at the moment to allow her time to recover her spirit. She needs love and attention and most of all she wants a home to call home and not a cage this Christmas.

Please call up to Ashtown dog pound and visit Angel.

Thank you so much in advance.

http://www.dogsindistress.org/

Ashtown Pound
    Tel: 01 838 3236 & 868 3038
    Address: River Road 15
    Hours: Open daily until 5pm and weekends 10am to 12.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just like to say Dogs in Distress do fantastic work, my family has recently adopted a DID dog who's doing great now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

That's brilliant,

Every dog fostered or rehomed from DID would say thanks if they could. Oh and Angel went to a foster home yesterday! The homecheck went well and hopefully she'll thrive now that she is out of kennels.

Meanwhile there are many more like her. When I was volunteering yesterday there was a Westie and 3 Boxers in. Having a westie myself and spending time with this dog yesterday I can't understand how he has ended up in a pound! As for the Boxers all three are beautiful and simply need knowledgeable owners with time to walk them.

DID are appealing for donations towards dog treats and warm blankets for Christmas.

LL.:)

Advertisement