Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Like most here hate the rush to move on from Christmas from the stroke of midnight Christmas day, drives me mad and makes me sad equally.

Was nice to be in a bar in Athlone this afternoon with Christmas decorations still up, Christmas music still being played and a sense of Christmas still in the air.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

My local will keep the decorations up until the new year which is great. As you said , when I go there you still get the atmosphere of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Definitely Christmas meet ups don’t just happen before the big day, I love Christmas decor anywhere 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

I feel the same I hate the rush to move on after Christmas day, the mothers like "thats it now for another year" lol feck off theres still LOADS of Christmas left to enjoy, does my head in.. I heard Fairy Tale Of New York on that new 80's station that replaced xmas fm last night, although not my favourite song was still nice to hear on the radio the early hours of this morning. 👍🎄

• Advertisement

My father will always say without fail once we get up from the dinner table "that's it now for another year". He does it to wind me up but Jesus you'd be thinking come on man give it a rest 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭BK5

Well I am up for work for the third morning in a row now and even though I only go in for a few hours when I get back to the house before lunchtime I will be on Christmas holidays part 2 as I'm not back in till Jan 4th.

So looking forward to breaking up for Christmas in about 4 hours ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not exactly new: Classic Hits 80s. This is its second temporary license run, the first being just after last year’s Christmas FM run on FM! It has been available online as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Listened to last night for a bit when I got home sorting bits around the house and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I really notice the online playlist has a lot more variety and freedom over the FM one.

Also for anyone stuck for any music on NYE stick on lar Flynns ChristmasFM show. He’s done the closing shift on online for years now and always does and impeccable job. Really enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah out in the car today and listening to it. A lot more of the older songs are being played and others you'd rarely hear.

In saying that I still managed to hear Christmas shoes again today. It’s an instant channel switcher for me or even it’s online and instant app switcher. And the problem is I forget to switch back to ChristmasFM.

It'll just be NYE for me now, I do struggle to get the same level of enjoyment once the FM broadcast ends, then it'll be back to the classical stream online when I get a Christmas hankering in the new year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I’m still enjoying having it keeping me company on the way in and from the hospital.

i feel like my Christmas was interrupted for the best reasons obviously so I’m still clinging onto every last minute of Christmas even more this year.

I'll talk about at another time but Christmas wasn't the same for me at all this year either, but for entirely different reasons (& less life changing) than yours @Loughc

Was expecting to be in Christmas overload after missing last year but it just never materialised. Will enjoy our NYE party tomorrow night but am already looking forward to getting stuck into 2024.

The online element is definitely more playlisty than DJ chats like the FM broadcast is.

Last day 😭😭

Did anyone catch the last song last night?

We'd turned it off by 1am so missed the sign off at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I listened twice this season (via the app), a combination of work and having received many Christmas vinyl albums.

• Advertisement

Last official FM broadcast song was FONY as per the playlist above with a formal 7.00pm closing.

& Last official song online with a 1pm closing was FONY also. Though some may say it should be Auld Lang Syne.

& with that I remember we did have it on until 1am as I remember them both & the DJ signing off too.

Updating my stats for Christmas FM and noticed that for the 16 years of broadcasting there's only ever been 6 songs used for the FM launch, & only 4 to close the FM broadcast.

I wonder could many on here guess them?

Andy Williams - Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Bing Crosby (and possibly Buble's version) - It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Post edited by Smell the glove on

We need a little Christmas now - Johnny Mathis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

They have definitely ended, and I think also started with Fairy Tale of New York?

I'll pop the answers up here tomorrow when back at my desk in work.

All excellent answers so far btw!

Break in the darts so will stick the answers up now.

FTR I have no first/last songs for 2009 & 2010 so can only go with the ones used for the other 14 years.

The 6 used launch songs are:

and the 4 songs used to officially close are:

We need a little Christmas was a strange one to end on. Covid year I imagine?

Yep, 2020. There was a series of bookend songs, it was an inspired launch song and they kept with the bookend trend and closed with.it also.

• Advertisement

Last call for donations. I wonder will they hit their target of €333k for the year. I think they fell short last year as well so a lot of pressure on 2024 to hit the €1m in 3 years mark.

Advertisement