Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eeden wrote: »
    I couldn't get the station in the car just now.

Network was down, its back now.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Had some problems with the winds taking down some masts two days ago but these got fixed relatively fast.

I'm live now for turkey time on the radio (yes we are live on Christmas Day!). If you want to hear anything for your Christmas backdrop sound track let me know! :)

Tomorrow is our last day, so thanks in advance for tuning in and for those of you who made donations to Aware, our charity partner for 2013.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy Christmas Ronan!

Really enjoyed the broadcast today, thank you all for your hard work and dedication to such a good cause. :)

The sound of silence.
    Bye bye Christmas FM for another year. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Posy wrote: »
    The sound of silence.
    Bye bye Christmas FM for another year. :(

Can I still make a donation through the ChristmasFM website, for it to count towards the money raised by ChristmasFM?

• Advertisement

Yup! You can still donate through the official website. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas fm have today announced this years charity will be Age Action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Fantastic news! :D Great cause, do so much good work for one of the most overlooked sections of society.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

washiskin wrote: »
    Fantastic news! :D Great cause, do so much good work for one of the most overlooked sections of society.

Christmas fm put this up on their facebook page and the most liked comment was christmas is all about kids you should have picked a kids charity.

It's this type of ignorance that makes charities like age action get overlooked. Fair play for Christmas fm for giving me a great spotlight.

Loughc wrote: »
    Christmas fm put this up on their facebook page and the most liked comment was christmas is all about kids you should have picked a kids charity.

It's this type of ignorance that makes charities like age action get overlooked. Fair play for Christmas fm for giving me a great spotlight.

Probably made by the sort of facebook crusaders who didn't bother their ar*e to vote on the Children's Referendum :mad:
    Amazes me how generation now think old age will never happen to them..... :rolleyes:

Well done Christmas FM....

• Advertisement

I hope this will get a better rotation that it did last year .... it's such a lovely song.

All, Glad you are happy with Age Action as our Charity Partner for 2014. As you all know they are an amazing set up and as well as raising much needed funds we're looking forward to making more people aware of their service.

Lots of planning going on in the background. We have a new sponsor on board this year, The fantastic Ballsbridge hotel will be our hosts again. Many of the volunteers and presenters will be back to share the Christmas cheer. We'll be covering the same locations as last year on the FM dial and pushing more online traffic. We are working on a better app for this year and better streaming.

As always we love your feedback and are open to all and any ideas. We are trying to find ways to:

1. Raise more awareness on Age Action - talk of using Youtube and social media a bit better.
    2. Raise more funds, both to expand the station for next year, better the quality of the set up and ofcourse get as much into the pockets of Age Action. (Whilst balancing it being a mostly music station).
    3. Ways to get more people listening in.
    4. Songs you want to hear more of. Especially new or overlooked items for our playlist. Vote by liking posts of good songs please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can't wait for Christmas FM. The one thing that annoyed me last year is that I sent in a couple of texts and they weren't read out, or if they were it was after I turned off the radio over an hour later. That put me off texting again. Also when people request songs the DJs always responds with a generic 'I'm sure we can get that on for you later' or whatever. I understand that there's probably a playlist already set up but every once in awhile I'm sure one of the texts matches up to the next song on the playlist so it could be read out just before the next song.

And let me be the first to ask for no Christmas Shoes. :D

Other than that I've really enjoyed listening over the years. My highlight last year was when Johnny Vegas was in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Can't wait for Christmas FM. The one thing that annoyed me last year is that I sent in a couple of texts and they weren't read out, or if they were it was after I turned off the radio over an hour later. That put me off texting again. Also when people request songs the DJs always responds with a generic 'I'm sure we can get that on for you later' or whatever. I understand that there's probably a playlist already set up but every once in awhile I'm sure one of the texts matches up to the next song on the playlist so it could be read out just before the next song.

Other than that I've really enjoyed listening over the years. My highlight last year was when Johnny Vegas was in the studio.
    Will your feet not get cold :D:D (da dum tish)

Let me be the second to ask for no Christmas Shoes. :pac:

I think positive stories about how Age Action has helped people and the positive work they do would be good, as opposed to too many 'sob stories', so to speak. People want to feel like their money will actually make a difference.

Can I suggest we do another top 10 boards.ie of favourite Christmas songs?

Can't wait for Christmas FM. The one thing that annoyed me last year is that I sent in a couple of texts and they weren't read out, or if they were it was after I turned off the radio over an hour later. That put me off texting again.

Thanks for the feedback - First off let me apologise. I agree its frustrating when you text in and I have to put my hands up and say this one is a balance that we've found hard to get right. Although some will undoubtedly disagree with how we work it, I'd like to explain our though process and why sometimes songs don't get played immediately (sometimes at all).

Firstly we try to get a consistent feel for the music and we do this with play lists and song limitations. Before anyone points out that My Friday night show is very different to the playlist, its one of the exception to the otherwise rule. Friday night is for parties hence always upbeat. DJ's do have the freedom to rotate in some requests ofcourse. But if a song is on low rotation, it absolutely can't be played within 8 hours of its last play etc. High rotation songs shouldnt be played anymore than once every 3 hours - this is to stop every show sounding like Mariah Carey, Wham and The Pogues on a tight loop.

Our average listener tunes in for 17 minutes at a time. Mostly a short car trip etc. So we want them to hear a selection of songs they havent heard in a while and the high rotation popular songs - in other words a feel for what we do every 17 minutes.

But then people have texted in, making a donation and want a mention / song played. So we have two conflicts 1. No-one wants a non-stop DJ saying peoples name between every song, especially if it takes away from the music and 2. If the song has been recently played it cannot be played again.

I have the honour of spending my Christmas Day on air and with so many requests on that, one of the busiest days of the station. We get about 20 song requests for every song played. Some of them saying I talk too much reading out dedications :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how many times I've got texts in within the 3 minutes of a song just played. So regretfully those that just tunes in and texts have to be disappointed. Also Christmas Shoes, definitely wont be high rotation but due to the volume of text and the money that raises it may get some plays.

To make up for the annoyance send me your favouite 4 songs and I'll play three them on my first show.

Love that idea. Lets do it. Anyone good with Survey Monkey / Polls and want to set that up?
    Posy wrote: »
    I think positive stories about how Age Action has helped people and the positive work they do would be good, as opposed to too many 'sob stories', so to speak.

Age action is a really positive organisation. We want to try and get some real life happy stories from its beneficiaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Christmas Hooley by Declan Nerney

.........I know I have a problem

Wellyd wrote: »
    Christmas Hooley by Declan Nerney

.........I know I have a problem

Don't worry sweetie, I love Brendan Grace's "I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester" :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Great to hear all the Christmas chat, especially about Christmas fm. So when is it coming on air?

• Advertisement

Great to hear all the Christmas chat, especially about Christmas fm. So when is it coming on air?

I'm guessing the 29th/30th of November, ChristmasFM gets a month licence, they finish up on the 26th and they spend the first few days off air testing it.

Thanks for the feedback - First off let me apologise. I agree its frustrating when you text in and I have to put my hands up and say this one is a balance that we've found hard to get right. Although some will undoubtedly disagree with how we work it, I'd like to explain our though process and why sometimes songs don't get played immediately (sometimes at all).

Firstly we try to get a consistent feel for the music and we do this with play lists and song limitations. Before anyone points out that My Friday night show is very different to the playlist, its one of the exception to the otherwise rule. Friday night is for parties hence always upbeat. DJ's do have the freedom to rotate in some requests ofcourse. But if a song is on low rotation, it absolutely can't be played within 8 hours of its last play etc. High rotation songs shouldnt be played anymore than once every 3 hours - this is to stop every show sounding like Mariah Carey, Wham and The Pogues on a tight loop.

Our average listener tunes in for 17 minutes at a time. Mostly a short car trip etc. So we want them to hear a selection of songs they havent heard in a while and the high rotation popular songs - in other words a feel for what we do every 17 minutes.

But then people have texted in, making a donation and want a mention / song played. So we have two conflicts 1. No-one wants a non-stop DJ saying peoples name between every song, especially if it takes away from the music and 2. If the song has been recently played it cannot be played again.

I have the honour of spending my Christmas Day on air and with so many requests on that, one of the busiest days of the station. We get about 20 song requests for every song played. Some of them saying I talk too much reading out dedications :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how many times I've got texts in within the 3 minutes of a song just played. So regretfully those that just tunes in and texts have to be disappointed. Also Christmas Shoes, definitely wont be high rotation but due to the volume of text and the money that raises it may get some plays.

To make up for the annoyance send me your favouite 4 songs and I'll play three them on my first show.
    Thanks for the reply. :) All I meant really is that if a text request that is due to be read out matches up with the next song, then stick that text at the end of the ones to be read out and use it to introduce the song. I think it would make people more likely to text in, if the impression was given that requests were played the odd time. More texts = more money for the charity!

No need to play any songs for me. I love all the songs! (Apart from Christmas Shoes, obviously, because I'm not a massive weirdo. :pac:) My husband thinks it's hilarious every year when we're listening together and I know all the words to all the songs. Thanks for the offer though. :)

You should definitely play the top 3 Boards songs though. We could start a thread and get people to post their favourites and make a poll out of the ones that are mentioned.

You should definitely play the top 3 Boards songs though. We could start a thread and get people to post their favourites and make a poll out of the ones that are mentioned.

I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) of setting one up here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92510859#post92510859

I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) of setting one up here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92510859#post92510859

It was your idea! And you have much much better thread organisational skills than I have. :D The thanks idea is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Can I hijack for a moment and ask you to play "The bells of st Marys" by Bob.B soxx and the blue jeans(from spectors crimbo album)?
    It was played once last year and it was the first time Id ever heard that song.........the wall of sound just blew me away and its now my favorite crimbo song.

Wonder if it would be possible to get an insert from Straight No Chaser? After all, in my opinion, if it weren't for Christmas FM very few of us would have heard of them.

For me the problem with Christmas FM is that I can't listen to it for long periods. When I do I hear "Fairytale of New York" about fifteen times!! I understand what Ronan said before though about them catering for people who just dip in for quick periods. Fair play to the people who do have it on all day though as I'd have gone doolally.

I've actually been listening to classic Christmas FM for the past few days and it's lovely! There are repeats of course but not as frequent as during December!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It's playing Last Christmas by Wham! :)

But I can't sing along because It is nearly 1am, I have housemates and also live in a terraced house :(

Christmas FM have announced on their facebook page that this years ChristmasFM will launch on Saturday the 29th of November 2014 at lunchtime.

Delighted!! Great weekend for us elves, the toy show on the Friday followed by the launch of Christmas FM on the Saturday, there will be serious Christmas tunes being blasted around the house that weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yipeee. Love xmas fm, listening to it when driving home from work.

Advertisement