Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I think they get a 30 day licence, so it would add up. :)

Yay! I thought I heard one of the DJ say it last night but I haven't heard anything on it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brilliant! 6pm on St. Stephen's Day is always awful because all we get is the crackle of radio silence and that's it gone for another year. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lads, can anyone remember what thread the pic of the different Xmas types was?

Y'know, traditional, Nordic etc. I remember seeing it in this forum recently but cannot remember what thread.

Would really appreciate if anyone could link me to it or re-post the pic for me.

Thanks so much
    Loughc wrote: »
    21ltu8p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm going to have Text Me Merry Christmas stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

I got the lads in the office to put the Christmas tree today. We got a real one this year and security were complaining because we left a few of them in the underground car park so I bought a stand and some new LED lights, gave some of my team a trimming shears and a saw and asked them to do the necessary.
    Was sent a picture and it's standing proudly inn the office with the lights on. Friday is official office decorating day!
    Meanwhile, I'm off today with Mrs. H doing our annual Christmas shopping trip in town. :D

EDIT: just realised I should have posted this in the general chat thread!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone know what version of Frosty the snowman they're playing? The only way I can describe the singer is I keep thinking its danny de vito!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Anyone know what version of Frosty the snowman they're playing? The only way I can describe the singer is I keep thinking its danny de vito!

Could it be Jimmy Durante?

Alicat wrote: »

Haven't a clue! A look on Wikipedia shows alot of different recordings. Ill Google sound search it tomorrow.

On the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I love that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

heard Christmas shoes on the way home yesterday, had to knock it off.

Jude13 wrote: »
    heard Christmas shoes on the way home yesterday, had to knock it off.

I was laughing hard yesterday until my wife turned it off in exasperation, just had a read of the lyrics there for a laugh and it's quiet something, pure American Christian muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I was laughing hard yesterday until my wife turned it off in exasperation, just had a read of the lyrics there for a laugh and it's quiet something, pure American Christian muck.

We were having dinner a number of years ago and it started playing over the the restaurant sound system and the two of us were overcome with laughter listening to it, simply couldn't stop. Its complete and utter American schmaltz of the highest order.
    Still brings a smile and few giggles when we hear it!

There was even a film made about the song. It starred Rob Lowe. I'm sure it's the pinnacle of his career :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I think Christmas Shoes was the final nail in the coffin for me last year with Xmas FM. I stopped listening to it after I had to switch Christmas Shoes off for the umpteenth time. Haven't heard it so far this year, thank Santa!

I have heard that Text Me Merry Xmas song one too many times though (ie, twice!).

I think they hold off on playing it until closer to Christmas as a compromise. Hard to believe there are people who like it.

I heard it in M&S last week and only realised what song it was when I heard myself singing it.

The playlist is definitely a bit more repetitive this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not sure if anyone's interested but I recorded the shows for the first week:

http://xmasfm.blogspot.com

God knows why really...

This is brilliant, thanks Winston Fit Orate! :)

I have heard that Text Me Merry Xmas song one too many times though (ie, twice!).

Ditto

Heard Christmas Shoes earlier. Didn't have a chance to listen in all day and it was the first song I heard when I switched it on this evening. It really is one of the worst songs ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Heard Christmas Shoes earlier. Didn't have a chance to listen in all day and it was the first song I heard when I switched it on this evening. It really is one of the worst songs ever.

I'm also hating the version of jingle bells, "I love those J I N G L E bells", if you know the one you'll know what I mean!

• Advertisement

I'm also hating the version of jingle bells, "I love those J I N G L E bells", if you know the one you'll know what I mean!

That's one that I grew up listening to so I love it. It was the only more upbeat song on the album we had so I played it all the time.

Does anyone know why it's very rare to hear "December Will Be Magic Again" by Kate Bush anymore? It's not even on Spotify, or iTunes? I don't recall hearing it on Christmas FM either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Terribly disappointed when I heard it was the new Straight No Chaser song. Thought it was just some random crapapela group, rather than them! Not a patch on Christmas Can-Can or their 12 Days of Christmas.

I've just seen a post on Facebook that Christmas FM have raised €170,000 today alone! I know it's their specific 'Donation Day' but it's incredible.

Does anyone know what their totals have been over the past few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The playlist is definitely a bit more repetitive this year.

With their month nearly over I have to say I've found it very repetitive compared to last year. It really does seem to be the same few versions of the same few songs over and over. No where near as much fun as other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

copyright issues ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

iguana wrote: »
    With their month nearly over I have to say I've found it very repetitive compared to last year. It really does seem to be the same few versions of the same few songs over and over. No where near as much fun as other years.

That's a shame, i tried to listen online, but couldnt even though i disabled my adblocker & added it to the whitelist when asked, but still the ad came up to disable ABP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

copyright issues ??

I'm assuming it has to do with cost and they have a better deal on the songs they are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm assuming it has to do with cost and they have a better deal on the songs they are playing.

Has to be something to do with that. There's too much choice out there for it not to be.

I'm not up to speed on music in the public domain, and public broadcasting, but I thought there'd be a lot of options out there.

For example: The only Elvis song I've heard is Blue Christmas, which is off his 1957 Christmas album. I'd have thought if that was fair game, then so was anything else on the album, but like I say, I don't really know anything about broadcasting rules and regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

copyright issues ??

so it would be copyright issues then

Advertisement