Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Couldn’t agree more. My mum who is a very smart woman and very straight laced and proper loves it, and i find it so strange that she likes it!

Same with my Dad. They both like it however he can't seem to get enough of it. It's been the only thing we have watched on TV Christmas Day the last few years as they insistent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If anyone is listing to ChristmasFM the present has just fired out 4 banging Christmas tunes one after one. Spirits are high here for a grey Monday morning.

Right Declan.... who's the Scottish presenter I'm currently listening to? He's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Loughc wrote: »
    If anyone is listing to ChristmasFM the present has just fired out 4 banging Christmas tunes one after one. Spirits are high here for a grey Monday morning.

Right Declan.... who's the Scottish presenter I'm currently listening to? He's very good.

I assume that's Craig McComish. He's on their website!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I assume that's Craig McComish. He's on their website!

You deliver again my Goodman. He’s very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I don't get Mrs Brown's Boys :o is it just the Christmas specials they do now? Or is there still a show going?

Maybe some people watch it to feel better about themselves ?
    Coudl explain why it they still keep producing it and showing it at the BBC.

• Advertisement

I have Christmas FM on now, prompted by these posts! Craig is good alright! He is now playing one of my favourites: Bruce Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^^One of my favorites also.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I was trying to hold off listening to avoid overload by mmid Decemb I failed miserably.. I started just a quick 10 mins while in the shower to get my fix... that's now expanded to over breakfast and also while cooking dinner and a little bit more here and there for good measure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

WFH today & have Christmas FM on, currently being subjected to the first rendition of Christmas shoes for 2020... oh man that song is so bad.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    WFH today & have Christmas FM on, currently being subjected to the first rendition of Christmas shoes for 2020... oh man that song is so bad.

But followed up with 'Its the most wonderful time of the year' by Andy Williams... yay!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Same, have it playing on the app on my phone. Making Tuesday (my worst day of week) go a bit quicker/easier!

Some more trivia for you!

Further to my earlier posts, Pat Courtenay of Radio Nova was briefly a presenter on Christmas FM, AFAIK, and Patricia Lane is yet another Christmas FM presenter associated with Spirit Radio. You will have to look up my previous posts!

Here are another two lists for you.

1. Christmas FM presenters, past and presenter, that were involved with hospital radio:
    Derek Jones
    Dermot Breen
    Marty Miller
    Craig McComish
    Davin O'Callaghan
    Shay Harford.

I suspect that there have been quite a few more in the past. It tends to be a more natural type of connection.

2. Christmas FM presenters, past and presenter, that were involved with dance pirate radio:
    Garvan Rigby
    Daragh O'Sullivan, aka Steven Davitt (he was co-owner/operator of Pulse FM)
    Enda Caldwell
    Darragh O'Dea
    Chris Murray
    Ronan O'Brien.

There may have been a few more in their early years, because of the dance connections of Garvan and Daragh, two of the station principals. Another possible name is Feargal Mitchell. His biog says he started with Dublin pirate Kiss103. While it was not a pure dance pirate itself, many of the presenters on it went on to dance pirate Pulse FM.

While on the subject of Feargal Mitchell, I was surprised to discover that he was one of the small group that have been there from the start back in 2008. That group would include the four principals, Keith Shanley and Noel Shannon.

Declan- there was a pirate radio station out near the Sands Hotel in Portmannock in the 80's. Sunshine FM springs to mind.

Ring any bells??

TRS30 wrote: »
    Declan- there was a pirate radio station out near the Sands Hotel in Portmannock in the 80's. Sunshine FM springs to mind.

Ring any bells??

Sunshine Radio, also known as Sunshine 101. That was one of the superpirates of the 1980s. It was the longest lasting of them in fact.

Presenters from Sunshine Radio on Christmas FM:
    Mark Byrne
    Mark Manning (former presenter on Christmas FM)
    Roger Lane
    Pat Courtenay (AFAIK he did a stint)

Sticking with superpirates, the following presenters from the original Radio Nova have been involved with Christmas FM: Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien and Bernie Jamieson. Bernie is another presenter who has been with Christmas FM since the very beginning.

Sunshine Radio, also known as Sunshine 101. That was one of the superpirates of the 1980s. It was the longest lasting of them in fact.

Presenters from Sunshine Radio on Christmas FM:
    Mark Byrne
    Mark Manning (former presenter on Christmas FM)
    Roger Lane
    Pat Courtenay (AFAIK he did a stint)

Sticking with superpirates, the following presenters from the original Radio Nova have been involved with Christmas FM: Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien and Bernie Jamieson. Bernie is another presenter who has been with Christmas FM since the very beginning.

That's the one.

I remember you use to see the 'owner' (was probably just a presenter) at the Malahide festive back in the day and he was like a local celebrity!!

TRS30 wrote: »
    That's the one.

I remember you use to the 'owner' (was probably just a presenter) at the Malahide festive back in the day and he was like a local celebrity!!

If it was Robbie Robinson, aka Robbie Dale on air, he was indeed the owner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mrs Brown's boys always has and always will be utter garbage. I really fail to understand its appeal to so many.

I don't know. S caught the start of one of the Christmas episodes when he was 5 and he couldn't stop laughing. So it's utterly hilarious to small children.

Here's yet another radio angle!

The following past and present presenters of Christmas FM were on Radio Dublin, or Radio Dublin Channel Two (its second station during the 1980s).

Paul Shephard, aka Ray Jackson, - one of the principals of Christmas FM
    Bernie Jamieson
    Adrian Nolan
    Derek Jones
    Mark Manning
    Keith Shanley
    Roger Lane
    Shay Harford

Again, like a lot of my lists, I suspect that there are more, as Radio Dublin was around for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Funny you should say that my lil one loves it too! Anytime he gets to stay up and sees it on the telly while flicking through he makes us watch it. He was 5 also when he 1st saw it.. I admit I like it too :)

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Funny you should say that my lil one loves it too! Anytime he gets to stay up and sees it on the telly while flicking through he makes us watch it. He was 5 also when he 1st saw it.. I admit I like it too :)

What are the chances that someone associated with Mrs Brown's Boys will get involved in some capacity with Christmas FM? :)

• Advertisement

Some more Christmas FM (past and present) presenters for some of my previous lists, that I was reminded of by old threads elsewhere on Boards!

Chris Barry - he was with superpirate Radio Nova.
    Bernie Jamieson - did a stint as newsreader on the current licensed Radio Nova
    Gary Mathews and Ray Goggins- dance pirate list
    Jacki Ascough - Spirit Radio list
    Mike Eastwood - Radio Dublin list

Incidentally, I think current presenter David Hynes may belong to that select group of presenters who have been there since the start.

Have christmas FM on again this morning as I'm here in my office more or less alone at the moment, and have already gotten weary of one of my pet hates. That being dodgy cover versions of christmas classics.... I know i've said this before but I really just want the originals 90% of the time. Admittedly there is the odd fantastic cover version, Gabriel Aplins cover of 'The POwer of Love' a perfect example, but far too many are (how can I say this respectfully).... cr*p!

Have christmas FM on again this morning as I'm here in my office more or less alone at the moment, and have already gotten weary of one of my pet hates. That being dodgy cover versions of christmas classics.... I know i've said this before but I really just want the originals 90% of the time. Admittedly there is the odd fantastic cover version, Gabriel Aplins cover of 'The POwer of Love' a perfect example, but far too many are (how can I say this respectfully).... cr*p!

I see it as a sign I'm getting old that I get irrationally annoyed at bad covers by newer popular artists. It always comes across to me as if they feel like they have to do it and their heart isn't really in it.

Another is athletes release autobiographies when they are still playing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I feel the same, I was in Costa this morning and heard do they know its Christmas time from the last set of ceplebritys.

I am being strong and resisting the Christmas fm train so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ahem... a confession to make: I am now - quite shamelessy - two-timing Christmas FM !
    The other day I checked the radio channels on my cable TV - to see if any of them was now playing Christmas songs, and bingo ! Hello, Stingray Christmas !

Excellent picks - for example The Christmas Spirit by Ray Charles and Christmas Evening in Atlanta by Max Steiner (From "Gone with the Wind" soundtrack) .
    And lovely having it on the TV in the background when I switch off the laptop.

But, alas, no live DJs !
    So I still hold on to dear old Chistmas FM and turn it on the laptop when I feel like it in the morning.

Ah here, just turned on Christmas FM for the first time today and what starts... Christmas shoes!!! that's twice now thats happened to me & the thing wont even launch fully for another 2 weeks....

Last year I didnt hear it once!

Every time I ask Alexa to play Christmas FM she plays ChristmasFM classical. Anyone know how to fix that?

Loughc wrote: »
    Every time I ask Alexa to play Christmas FM she plays ChristmasFM classical. Anyone know how to fix that?

I did it. Just say “Alexa Start Christmas FM”

I was saying play ChristmasFM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I knew you'd crack it, Loughc! :pac:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    I knew you'd crack it, Loughc! :pac:

Well you are my biggest fan....

LqKc5cG.jpg

:pac:

Advertisement