Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending UPC Cisco Wireless Router

• 02-12-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I got UPC broadband installed today. I got the cisco wireless modem and router. It's installed in my living room, but my main computers are in my bedroom (where I have an ADSL line).

I use an apple time capsule as a router in my bedroom. The old configuration was to receive internet via ADSL modem, share it to the time capsule via ethernet then use the time capsule to create my wireless network for laptops and fixed ethernet connection for non-wireless machines I have.

I was told at point of sale the UPC modem could have it's wireless extended. It's this I'm having problems trying to do.

I want to be able to extend the wireless to my time capsule. Have it then distribute the connection to my fixed and wireless devices.

When I attempt to extend the wireless connection, I get a message that it's not possible to do so with the cisco wireless router.

Now I noticed the cisco supports WDS bridged connections. I've been trying this but getting no where. The time capsule also support WDS, but everything I try is failing.

In short, has anyone been able to extend their UPC modem, wirelessly using an airport extreme or time capsule. Using ethernet is not an option unless I get UPC to install a connection in my bedroom.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

i don't have upc so can't really help but wud be slightly suprised if u could not

you still have an ethernet option if u go for the homeplug option ..
    something like the cisco pl3e300 kit for about e70 and u have an ethernet 4 port switch in the bedroom ... only problem being no wireless for the laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevieghealy

hey patrick, did u ever get this sorted. I have the upc twg870 modem and tryin to use a tp link access point that uses wds but to no avail yet? Like you i have the upc modem in another room and all my sources in another room. I haver a denon amp I want on the lan but just cant get this sorted.

Any ideas or answewrs to your original post ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭squonk

In as much as I'm aware, Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme with a built in hard drive.

I've got an AP Extreme and it may not be what you're looking for exactly but I've got the following setup working OK in my house.

Connect the AP to the Cisco router via a network cable. Then, set up the AP in bridged mode. Let the Cisco handle the general routing/dhcp etc but allow the AP to manage the wireless and turn the wirless off on the cisco.

the downside is you have to now do over the air backups to the time capsule so, as I say, it may not be a solution for you.

Incidentally, I carried out some tests for fun by getting an Airport Express I had lying around to try to extend my wireless network with poor results. The express couldn't join the network. I didn't spend a lot of time on it as it was just for a laugh. Be aware too that if you're using an extender, you effectively show the speed of your overall network. That might have an impact if you're transferring large files around the place or streaming etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Get a pair of these. Connect network cable from the upc box to the tp-link. Plug tp-link into wall socket, and put the other one in your bedroom connected to your airport

Advertisement