Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best nightclub of the 90s?

• 02-12-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

I know there's a similar thread but thats "all time" and Dublin specific.

So Im asking: what was the best Irish nightclub of the 90s?

I'll go with 2 clubs that were completely different: Sir Henrys in Cork and, at the other much more commercial end of the spectrum, Hollywood Nights in Stillorgan ;)

What was your favourite nightclub of the 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Aylsum closely followed by Sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I had many good nights in Bad Bobs, club M, Hollywood night, Howling at the moon. As for bars The Baggot was a fav

When I would head home The Oasis in Carricmacross was the saturday night place to be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Sir Henrys.

/close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Clarence, Sligo- Tiny little sweatbox but fkn serious tunage
    The Sex Kitchen/Castle, Salthill- Full of scum but brilliant
    Sir Henrys, Cork
    Shine, Belfast
    Julians of Midfield, Mayo- You had to have been there to understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hmm...where have I seen a thread like this before... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Sides DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The Clarence, Sligo- Tiny little sweatbox but fkn serious tunage

+1 :D

don't know how they pull in some of the acts they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I had many good nights in Bad Bobs, club M, Hollywood night, Howling at the moon. As for bars The Baggot was a fav

When I would head home The Oasis in Carricmacross was the saturday night place to be....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

strongr wrote: »
    +1 :D

don't know how they pull in some of the acts they do.

Money :)
    I preferred it before the revamp tbh. Sure, its a bit bigger and cleaner now but it lost some of the character it had. Reminded me a lot of Switch for some reason.
    You ever there on a friday night for Pulsar with Block and PC and John Hussey or a packed saturday with Rog and Tommy really lettin rip? As good as any club in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Sir Henrys
    The Met in Armagh
    UFO and Alien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Yeah!!!

We grew up in that place. Every weekend, Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Cypress Hill, House of Pain being played would result in a mosh pit on the dance floor which the bouncers would try to break up but usually fail :)

Every local town had their own corner in the place - you could almost walk in blindfolded but you knew who was going to be there are where.

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

What was the name of the club in the Phoenix Park again?

Blinkers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

My parlour. savage nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

I agree with jonny68 Sides D.C

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

djhaxman wrote: »
    Yeah!!!

We grew up in that place. Every weekend, Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Cypress Hill, House of Pain being played would result in a mosh pit on the dance floor which the bouncers would try to break up but usually fail :)

Every local town had their own corner in the place - you could almost walk in blindfolded but you knew who was going to be there are where.

Good times.

You describe it so well. there should be a movie made about that place. When the slow sets came on, there was the stalking the perimeters of the dance floor for a shift and trip out back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

The Asylum (although not your typical "night club" )

The Olympic Ballroom (as above)

Kellys in Portrush (again see above) :D

The Ormonde , The System, Sir Henrys, and the big one in Wexford town (cant think of the name of it but had some great nights down there years ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Vicos
    Giros
    Shine
    Kellys
    Deerpark

and if u know the last one your doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Sides DC..........Before it came gravity .....nrgx or whatever else it was called. Sides set the trend for any club that followed in Dublin, all the anthems were played in there months before they were heard anywhere else simply because of the Djs they had who were the best in the country.

Henry's would basically be the same as above, unfortunately it was in Cork :D

Liam Dollard and Greg Dowling IMHO were the best DJs in the country from 90-95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The metroland and the roxy in waterford. In the nineties every dj worth mentioning played those clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

and you know what? Whenever the international DJs played 'down the country' it was cheaper to get in than when they played in Dublin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

eh, Switch, the Kitchen, Red Box...

seriously, any of the above when they were full and somebody was banging it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Fibbers for freaking out in long skirts and docs.

POD for big sweaty half-naked trancing.

Sir Henry's for pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The Purple Onion... total free for all.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Temple of Sound followed closely by the UFO for me.

My worst clubbing experience on the other hand has to have been the System, what a sh1te club.

Thats one place that I'm not sure if I was ever in - I remember hearing about it and certainly planning to go many nights after the Temple of Sound but not sure if I ever made it... so many of those nights ended up back in various places but the memories have been since wiped out!

I remember some nights/mornings ending up in Bewleys on Grafton St, the place would be full of people chewing the faces off themselves! One Sunday morning actually there was a bloke arranging a poetic tour of Dublin and a group of tourists etc were gathering to go on the walk... a group of us decided to join (as you do) and made it a few feet up Grafton St before giving up on the idea, we were far more entertained by the concept of us joining them then they were of us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I only started clubbing in the late 90's so never got a chance to go to many of the mentioned above, but for me, the original Red Box was my favourite club ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Thats one place that I'm not sure if I was ever in - I remember hearing about it and certainly planning to go many nights after the Temple of Sound but not sure if I ever made it...

It was in the basement of a restaurant on Dame Street, across from Dublin Castle. A place to get royally fooked in.

The Kitchen on friday nights gets my vote as well. Quality drum and bass. Adam F, LTJ Bukem, DJ Hype and all the rest. Fooking fantastic...

And talking about nights, Powderbubble was absolutely crazy, it was this mad gay, straight, whatever night they used to have in the Pod once a night. There be quality house music with these intervals of mad sh1t like ballerina trannys in doc martins doing Swan Lake and there'd be guys in the crowd wearing nothing but leather dog collars, leather jockstrap and their boots. Totally fecking mad. Wasn't a scene I was in but a friend on mine was gay and she'd drag me along. Went to a couple of those powderbubbles and they were mental crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Bit of déjà vu going on here alright.

How often is there a 'what was the best club in the 90s' thread?

I'd like to see some stats, once every 3-4 months?

Get's a bit old doesn't it, pardon the pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

My worst clubbing experience on the other hand has to have been the System, what a sh1te club.
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sweat / Henrys

/thread ends again!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Why?

The music, the crowd & general atmosphere! Wasn't my cup of tea at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Oh ye, what a cracking little place.......through the cafe with all the chairs up on the tables & down the stairs in the middle of the place (i think) into the long smoke filled room where anything went.......was one of the last great places of freedom with no pretentious crap.
    Thats one place that I'm not sure if I was ever in - I remember hearing about it and certainly planning to go many nights after the Temple of Sound but not sure if I ever made it... so many of those nights ended up back in various places but the memories have been since wiped out!

I have a picture of it from a few years after somewhere at home i will try & dig out,

EDIT: Have it,

148091.jpg

Few more from SIDES about 2003 for anyone interested,

148088.jpg

148089.jpg

Downstairs where the second floor used to be,

148090.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Is that the actual stairs from sides? I use to glide up and down them steps for many years :)
    actually downstairs in sides was a nice chill out area trying to come to grips with them MB's :D

Is that the actual stairs from sides? I use to glide up and down them steps for many years :)
    actually downstairs in sides was a nice chill out area trying to come to grips with them MB's :D

Thats a stiars in SIDES, i remeber the main stairs was to the front of the place if my brain is not totally mashed which led you into the dancefloor being on your left as you went down it with the jax straight ahead to the left a little, this stairs when i took the pic was at the back of the place behind where the DJ box used to be & i cant for the life of me ever remember walking down it when i was in there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Bouncers there were cun*s there but in the 3/4 times i went there it was a great nighT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Gon10

What was the name of the club in the Phoenix Park again?

Blinkers?

The End appropriately named as I met the future wife there, Blinkers was in Leopardstown race course

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bearoige

does anyone remember the name of the club/late bar just off grafton street circa late 98's. i think it was at the side of Brown Thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Bearoige wrote: »
    does anyone remember the name of the club/late bar just off grafton street circa late 98's. i think it was at the side of Brown Thomas

You thinking of The Last Watering Hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Wasn't it Rasher Geraghty's for a while too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Clubs in the 90s were terrible. Much better now with decent soundsystems, variety of drinks and proper door policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Clubs in the 90s were terrible. Much better now with decent soundsystems, variety of drinks and proper door policies.

lets not forget the proper closing times now too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

of course they were :rolleyes:

So you preferred the mobile dj soundsystems, a bar selling bottled water and a door policy that let people with shotguns through the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

So you preferred the mobile dj soundsystems, a bar selling bottled water and a door policy that let people with shotguns through the door?

Full bar in the kitchen and POD
    Good sound systems in both venues
    no shotguns

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bearoige

Rasher Geraghty's is the one i was thinking off, thanks milltown.

You would, it appears, be referencing the Asylum with the shotgun reference. The soundsystem was far from a mobile Dj set up, the rest i cannot offer a defence for:D
    francois wrote: »
    Full bar in the kitchen and POD
    Good sound systems in both venues
    no shotguns

Full bar in the waterfront also Francois, dont you remember:confused::D
    Soundsytem was deafening in the middle of the dancefloor in there also from what i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

clearly you were not on the scene in the 90's cos if you were you certainly would not be coming out with garbage like this:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

only clubbing i would have seen in the 90s was late 98/99, and im gonna be the first person to throw out the temple theatre, purely as it was the first club i ever seen djs i was into at the time week in week out..

of course the redbox from about 2000 (when i could finally get in) until it closed for renovations was a far superior club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Had some of the best nights of my life on the dance boat in 98.
    Red Box before they renovated.
    Spirit for a few years after it first opened though I think that was sometime in the Noughties.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    clearly you were not on the scene in the 90's cos if you were you certainly would not be coming out with garbage like this:eek:

You've clearly never been out to a club this decade so you've nothing to compare against. Pills are better these days as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement