Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best nightclub of the 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

You've clearly never been out to a club this decade so you've nothing to compare against. Pills are better these days as well.

you havin a laugh? pills are better these days pmsl!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

considering the purity and strength (we're talking 100-140mg of MDMA) of the current pills in Dublin at the moment, I'm curious about what the pills were like 'back in the day'.

I doubt they had significantly higher mdma content.

jtsuited wrote: »
    considering the purity and strength (we're talking 100-140mg of MDMA) of the current pills in Dublin at the moment, I'm curious about what the pills were like 'back in the day'.

you obviously never done them so, snowballs had mad amounts of mdma in them, as did mad bastards and doves.

think snowballs were the highest ever mdma content of any poill tbh, they were bein made in eastern europe at the time and the people who were makin em hadn't a clue what dose to put in em. seen people wabblin around the place on them years ago, totally out of it, and that would just be one pill, two tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

yay! A willie waving "my pills are better than yours" competition
    In truth good and bad pills have always been around-The head shops forced the dealers to up their game, as what was been sold as E was adulterated, or precursor to MDMA stuff like MDA,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

No francois that's not true! Back in my day the pills were so strong I use to piss blood out of my eyes!!! And brickies would be hugging solicitors and doctors and everyone of them would be pissing blood out of their eyes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

You've clearly never been out to a club this decade so you've nothing to compare against. Pills are better these days as well.
    you are bonkers mate, that is the funniest thing ive read on here in years :D

No francois that's not true! Back in my day the pills were so strong I use to piss blood out of my eyes!!! And brickies would be hugging solicitors and doctors and everyone of them would be pissing blood out of their eyes!!!

That wasn't blood, that was raver love juice

es-cee wrote: »
    think snowballs were the highest ever mdma content of any poill tbh, they were bein made in eastern europe at the time and the people who were makin em hadn't a clue what dose to put in em. seen people wabblin around the place on them years ago, totally out of it, and that would just be one pill, two tops.

If anyone remembers New Yorkers (capsules) ,Pure white doves,etc they were insanely strong, pure ecstasy, snowballs too were mad strong but had a combination of MDMA and MDA making them trippy as fu*k i took a few of them in the Waterfront before, same as those christmas crackers i remember taking one of them in Sides on NYE 94 i think it was and i was completely and utterly wasted for hours i had to sit down but as soon as i got back up i danced for hours non stop.

• Advertisement

even higher actually,100% true man.

Is there really yokes that strong doing the rounds in Dublin right now jaysus i might have to come out of retirement for a night out, the asylum reunion in October with Oliver Lieb sounds good.:pac:

jonnny68 wrote: »
    even higher actually,100% true man.

Is there really yokes that strong doing the rounds in Dublin right now jaysus i might have to come out of retirement for a night out, the asylum reunion in October with Oliver Lieb sounds good.:pac:

definitely goin to that gig, lieb is a legend!!!!

francois wrote: »
    That wasn't blood, that was raver love juice

Mmmm... love juice

fair enough lads, i'll take your word for it. genuinely curious about the actual figures though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ah yeah, he has one or two alright tracks... :pac:

100% on for Oliver Lieb vintage Trance when it was actually good, will be giving the Jeremy Healy gig a wide berth.

It's been a long time since ive taken anything but im hoping someone can source me one of these extra strong yokes which are doing the rounds at present;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

100% on for Oliver Lieb vintage Trance when it was actually good, will be giving the Jeremy Healy gig a wide berth.

It's been a long time since ive taken anything but im hoping someone can source me one of these extra strong yokes which are doing the rounds at present;)
    Agh Johnny, dont bother taking one just incase they're as strong at the ones back in the 90s.

yeah fcuk healy, was never a fan of his.

theres some nice md doin the rounds too jonny.

yeah fcuk healy, was never a fan of his.

theres some nice md doin the rounds too jonny.

nice one man ill speak to ya closer to the time of Oliver Lieb about it :);)

Agh Johnny, dont bother taking one just incase they're as strong at the ones back in the 90s.

LOL i highly doubt that but in the very rare offchance they would be i would be truly ecstastic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I knew you would jump. In your mind there is no way they could be as strong as the ****ty pills today but as expected you haven't done pills in years. The bangers these days are as strong as ever and I've spanned millenia to give you that fact.

• Advertisement

I knew you would jump. In your mind there is no way they could be as strong as the ****ty pills today but as expected you haven't done pills in years. The bangers these days are as strong as ever and I've spanned millenia to give you that fact.

i took pills last year mate around December time so hardly years they didn't do a great deal for me, im not just saying that pills thesedays are not as strong for the sake of it, these are the facts, i rarely go out clubbing thesedays but i still manage a few nights a year im intrigued about these so called super pills and ill be going out clubbing in October so i might get a chance to sample one.

Your serotonin receptors are probably knackered at this stage. Maybe you should have knocked the pills on the head in the 90s.

Your serotonin receptors are probably knackered at this stage. Maybe you should have knocked the pills on the head in the 90s.

But you obviously never took those pills that were going around back in the day. They were made by a one legged Romanian who used to seal all his 110% pure mdma pills with a loving kiss. They were epic. You take them and you'd be mad of it. You be standing up and then you'd have to sit down and then you'd have to sit down again, then you'd have to make a cup of tea... in the middle of the dancefloor! Mad yokes altogether! All the heads would be on the dancefloor in ASYLUMSIDESOLYMPIC trying to make tea and trying to sit down. Crazy yokes altogether. The pills these days just aren't as good because I suffer from mild depression, memory loss and wistful nostalgia...

But you obviously never took those pills that were going around back in the day. They were made by a one legged Romanian who used to seal all his 110% pure mdma pills with a loving kiss. They were epic. You take them and you'd be mad of it. You be standing up and then you'd have to sit down and then you'd have to sit down again, then you'd have to make a cup of tea... in the middle of the dancefloor! Mad yokes altogether! All the heads would be on the dancefloor in ASYLUMSIDESOLYMPIC trying to make tea and trying to sit down. Crazy yokes altogether. The pills these days just aren't as good because I suffer from mild depression, memory loss and wistful nostalgia...

But you obviously never took those pills that were going around back in the day. They were made by a one legged Romanian who used to seal all his 110% pure mdma pills with a loving kiss. They were epic. You take them and you'd be mad of it. You be standing up and then you'd have to sit down and then you'd have to sit down again, then you'd have to make a cup of tea... in the middle of the dancefloor! Mad yokes altogether! All the heads would be on the dancefloor in ASYLUMSIDESOLYMPIC trying to make tea and trying to sit down. Crazy yokes altogether. The pills these days just aren't as good because I suffer from mild depression, memory loss and wistful nostalgia.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Another vital ingredient in the pills back in the day was ofcourse The Music!!

great pills great tunes great dj's great crowd -great days!

I've had a few nice pills these days,nothing like before,average at best in comparision with the biccies,doves n bastards of old......and the music today is another synthetic sterilised mock up imo , there are some good sounds but not what your getting in 'clubland' today.

Basically all the ingredients were better bitd :D

i think your brain is fu*ked mate otherwise you wouldn't be coming out with such complete and utter garbage.

run along now.....:P

I suppose you never quite come up the same knowing that you are middle aged and that half your mates from 'bitd' are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Milton Fine

Club 92 in its prime...The Wicked Wolf and then '92 were the recipe for a good night

I suppose you never quite come up the same knowing that you are middle aged and that half your mates from 'bitd' are dead.

There it is folks,the voice of experience,young,dumb & full of cum,sure what would all of us middle aged coffin dodgerss know eh? :rolleyes: 'kin kids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Club 92 in its prime...The Wicked Wolf and then '92 were the recipe for a good night

Club 92 was the easiest place in Dublin to score at one point

But you obviously never took those pills that were going around back in the day. They were made by a one legged Romanian who used to seal all his 110% pure mdma pills with a loving kiss. They were epic. You take them and you'd be mad of it. You be standing up and then you'd have to sit down and then you'd have to sit down again, then you'd have to make a cup of tea... in the middle of the dancefloor! Mad yokes altogether! All the heads would be on the dancefloor in ASYLUMSIDESOLYMPIC trying to make tea and trying to sit down. Crazy yokes altogether. The pills these days just aren't as good because I suffer from mild depression, memory loss and wistful nostalgia.......

quoting this because never has anyone hit a nail so perfectly on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

fair enough lads, i'll take your word for it. genuinely curious about the actual figures though.

Ok Jeff here ya go,

List 1

List 2

On list one, 4th pill down is a white dove, 172mg MDMA, then all the rest on list in and around 130mg with the playboy being the exception going from 100 - 155mg.

List two the PT has 196mg MDEA & the buffalo's at 126mg MDMA, all the rest varying ingredients & strenghts.

Now, all of these pills are circa 1993 1994 with nothing from 1992 or pre 1992, having taken the Doves, Matadors/buffaloe's, PT's Dolphins & Shamrocks from the lists, and then having had the pleasure to have consumed Mad Bastards, Phase fours, Discos Biscuits, Rhubarb & Custards i can 100% tell you that the pills that were out 1992 into 1993 before these were far far more potent, the qualioty & strenght of pills took a dive mid to late 1993 where you would have only needed 2 pills before to last you right through into midday the following day, you were consuming 3,4,5 doves in the ASYLUM 1994 to be able to get the entire night/morning out of em.

Sorry lads, the Rhubarb & Custards, Phase fours & Mad Bastards were by far more potent than 140mg MDMA, they must have been in excess of 200mg by my estimate.

interesting stuff Is Mise.

Just as a matter of interest, were the pills noticeably bigger by volume back then?

interesting stuff Is Mise.

Just as a matter of interest, were the pills noticeably bigger by volume back then?

Well the disco biscuits were huge flying saucer type pills, they kind of sloped down to a very thin edge from the centre of the pill, they were quite big alright, the Phase fours were (from memory) difficult to break in half as they were quite tall/thick, the mad bastards again were quite thick from memory & difficult to break in half easily, the Rhubarb & Custard were capsules of a fairly normal size which would lead you to think there wasnt an exceptionally more amount of powder inside than what would have been in a pill.

All in all i wouldnt say they were hugley bigger from what i remember except for the odd occasional one but its hard to say accurattley after 19 years.

EDIT:

Just remembered, Aldi are now selling Disco biscuits,

4739459779_fb2e9048dc.jpg

i can 100% tell you that the pills that were out 1992 into 1993 before these were far far more potent, the qualioty & strenght of pills took a dive mid to late 1993 where you would have only needed 2 pills before to last you right through into midday the following day, you were consuming 3,4,5 doves in the ASYLUM 1994 to be able to get the entire night/morning out of em.

Couldn't it be the case that by 93/34 your tolerance for taking pills could have skyrocketed?

Couldn't it be the case that by 93/34 your tolerance for taking pills could have skyrocketed?

Potential factor alright, however, it was very noticable the quality of the pills effectivness took a nose dive in a very short space of time, from mid to late 93 over the space of 1 year they were getting seriously poorer in Quality, 1 reason i know i can offer a case along side the obvious tolerance you noted for the pills being weaker, is that there was lads we knew that were about 3 - 4 years younger than us got into the raves when SIDES/ORMOND was still open having not experienced the Olympic or Asylum, they would have taken 3-4 pills to get through to the next morning, also they would have gotten a better kick out of em than i did which brings in the tolernace factor you rightly noted but the pills just were not as potent as two years previous.

Potential factor alright, however, it was very noticable the quality of the pills effectivness took a nose dive in a very short space of time, from mid to late 93 over the space of 1 year they were getting seriously poorer in Quality, 1 reason i know i can offer a case along side the obvious tolerance you noted for the pills being weaker, is that there was lads we knew that were about 3 - 4 years younger than us got into the raves when SIDES/ORMOND was still open having not experienced the Olympic or Asylum, they would have taken 3-4 pills to get through to the next morning, also they would have gotten a better kick out of em than i did which brings in the tolernace factor you rightly noted but the pills just were not as potent as two years previous.

That's because the producers were adulterating them. It's easier and more profitable to produce MDMA precursors like MDA

I'm willing to accept that there are some good pills around today, however,as i've said already,back then (circa 90-93) it wasn't just about the pills was it? between the pills and the music it was a perfect marraige, the euphoria experience was the offspring of the two and we all lived happily together in our run down little hovels.

Fast forward to 2011 and while there may very well be some extra strong 140% super duper mega whopper clean as a whistle pills out there they are been dragged around by the hand by their pristine turned out partner 'Ms Sterile Club' and her ever present metalic polished squeky clean mate 'Electro'........and there's just no euphoria in that.

Now back on thread ........ to alot of people it may not have been the best 'club' or whatever,those who will remember it (some having never experienced it) as a dirty den of debauchery etc etc but to me and several others there was no other place like it EVER .......The Asylum was n will forever be the best experience of liberated euphoric xtc i've ever had and no pill or club today will ever top it.

5ypc.jpg

• Advertisement

It is impossible to say. You can't compared going out now as a 20 year old and all your mates listening to music you like. You go to a club now as a middle aged man. What the **** are you even doing there?

It is impossible to say. You can't compared going out now as a 20 year old and all your mates listening to music you like. You go to a club now as a middle aged man. What the **** are you even doing there?

Basically laughing at the sight of a load of pi$$ed up knobs throwing their hands in the air and waving them round like they just don't care whilst they show their appreciation for the KJ thinking the world revolves around only them!

tbh, I've only attended a select few nights in clubs in the last 6-7 yrs , the company of pi$$ed up kids making a show of themselves is not for me.

Funny thing is, i'm sure bitd we all felt like you do today thinking about the 'oldies' and wondering wtf they were doing out on the town..........maddest sight I ever seen was 2 pensioners at a rave giving it sox! ...and nobody batting an eyelid (probably because they couldn't :D - did I mention the drugs back then?)

EarlERizer wrote: »

tbh, I've only attended a select few nights in clubs in the last 6-7 yrs , the company of pi$$ed up kids making a show of themselves is not for me.
    What a know-it-all snob. Its all the funnier hearing it from a junkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Now back on thread ........ to alot of people it may not have been the best 'club' or whatever,those who will remember it (some having never experienced it) as a dirty den of debauchery etc etc but to me and several others there was no other place like it EVER .......The Asylum was n will forever be the best experience of liberated euphoric xtc i've ever had and no pill or club today will ever top it.
    The Asylum was an absolute kip. Horrible place. It was nothing to do with liberated euphoria. It was clubbing at it's worst.

Fast forward to 2011 and while there may very well be some extra strong 140% super duper mega whopper clean as a whistle pills out there they are been dragged around by the hand by their pristine turned out partner 'Ms Sterile Club' and her ever present metalic polished squeky clean mate 'Electro'........and there's just no euphoria in that.

Seriously, has your only clubbing experience of the past ten years been the Wright Venue?

What a know-it-all snob. Its all the funnier hearing it from a junkie.

:D Brilliant , been called a snob & a junkie in the one post,I don't know which one I'm more proud of! thanks man thats made my evening.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Asylum was an absolute kip. Horrible place. It was nothing to do with liberated euphoria. It was clubbing at it's worst.

True dat mate true dat,an absolute kip of a venue,a horrible dark dingy derelict hole of a place,all it was was a drug den with great music & people......and I had many a euphoric & liberated experience on nights I was there.....brilliant!

Your right, it wasn't 'clubbing' ........it was so much better!

:D Brilliant , been called a snob & a junkie in the one post,I don't know which one I'm more proud of! thanks man thats made my evening.

Have you ever smoked or injected heroin? Honest question.

Seriously, has your only clubbing experience of the past ten years been the Wright Venue?

Yeah that & seals! neither were any use though, still left wanting.

Have you ever smoked or injected heroin? Honest question.

Honest answer, No,like most of the people who attended the place popping a couple of decent pills was enough,never even drank so much as a flagon while on pills......great nights out then home or a party to continue the buzz n share a few spliffs.

Cant speak for those that did try that sh!t so no idea as to their motivation to do so,dont think we've ever had one come on boards and give their experience.

Incidentally, I went to Sides a few times but was never tempted to try cock!

The whole Asylum = strung out gear heads is a bit of a pathetic dig, the bulk of those who frequented the place were in it for the right reasons, you cant even try to explain it to anyone who didnt get it or was never there. Yeah there was the bad element but they were a minority....but that was another element of the place....you had the tokers,the drinkers,the pill poppers and then the gear heads,it was "as you are" and "each to thier own" ....it was fookin mental! I fookin loved it!

I wasnt a clubber,I wasnt a junkie........ I was a Raver! I had great nights in fookin sheds!

My only criminal record is Nalin & Kane - Beachball :o

Anymore cheap shots?

How many of out of the last 20 years of your life have you spent on the dole?

• Advertisement
Advertisement