Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best nightclub of the 90s?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

How many of out of the last 20 years of your life have you spent on the dole?

Good one, now your just been a p.rick or atleast exposing the fact that you are!

But, I'll play along, I've spent in total 14 months in receipt of Job Seekers benefit, due to 2 redundancies & initially when I returned to Ireland.

Question for you now.......are you still been breastfeed or has mummy weaned you off yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Good one, now your just been a p.rick or atleast exposing the fact that you are!

But, I'll play along, I've soent in total 14 months in receipt of Job Seekers benefit, due to 2 redundancies & initially when I returned to Ireland.

Question for you now.......are you still been breastfeed or has mummy weaned you off yet?

Nah, I'm sucking on your wife's knockers these days.

Nah, I'm sucking on your wife's knockers these days.

:D oh sh!t I've gone and got myself into a slagging match with a kid.

...... the fookin shame :o , knockers? lol knockers! :rolleyes:

wait a minute.......how old are you? have you actually ever been in a club? club penguin doesnt count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I'm only having banter with you. I'm 43 BTW.

No way,banter...... and I thought this was a real fight, i was getting ready to pull out the big guns and go "der der der der der der der ha your dead" and do the :p smiley!

You are in you ar$e 43 ....... seriously? 43? , so at 43 your going out to a club with your mates....what the fook are you even doing there? ;)

All joking aside.......what/where was your first 'club' experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

This forum must put years on you.
    You're only 28 on the motors forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73831759&postcount=1

milltown wrote: »
    This forum must put years on you.
    You're only 28 on the motors forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73831759&postcount=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuppZ-FxOJRgrblJ3t8RDH3i5tbPcXClPiKg2rUa6BAJl3JfwC

Kids! :rolleyes: always forgetting the lies they tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Tomango......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Asylum was an absolute kip. Horrible place. It was nothing to do with liberated euphoria. It was clubbing at it's worst.

You obviously missed the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You obviously missed the point.
    Yeah I miss the Point, although I love what they've done to it now. Great set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jtsuited wrote: »
    interesting stuff Is Mise.

Just as a matter of interest, were the pills noticeably bigger by volume back then?
    Yes jt - noticeably bigger. They do seem a good bit smaller these days in comparison

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I started in mid 94 and they were certainly powerful then but 1 wouldn't have got you through to the next day - we used to drop I'd say at around 10.30pm or so... during the first few weeks that would have got me through till about 3am and you'd be still buzzing/floating somewhat on the way home - my first few months doing it still involved going home, that was till we discovered you could take more than one and these things called 'parties' afterwards :pac:

I remember getting super doves a few times, they were considerably larger than regular doves and a completely bright white colour - they had a glazed feel to them and very hard substance... very difficult to break in half... absolutely blew the head of me, probably my best memory of Es. Took ages to come up also, which seemed to be a common theme back then with better E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

People are dreaming if they think the pill's these days are anything like they were back in the mid to late 90's.
    Sweet jesus the come up's were like being hit with a sledge hammer.
    We should organize a night out and compare new to old.

Best nightclub of the 90's.....Henry's.
    Greg, Shane, Sweat, Kerri Chandler and the dodgy chips they served, Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

for me sir henrys can't be beaten but anyone who witnessed the roxy in waterford might argue with you.
    i've been to all the club's in ibiza during the 90's and none could ever match the atmosphere of henrys, and lets not forget the heady heights the metroland reached in the late 90's top buzz for a couple of years it was

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Henry's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

If a poll was done, i would say Henry's and Sides DC would top it respectfully.

If a poll was done, i would say Henry's and Sides DC would top it respectfully.

Poll was done paddy, no henrys on the list, ASYLUM out in front, rightly so:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63300423

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fibbers on double dipped strawberries was epic.

Haha. Great post from that thread.
    I got asked to leave the pod one night for........."Dangerous Dancing"

• Advertisement

I mean a real poll like outside of Boards :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

After posting on boards for a while I'd be glad to never have to hear or read about Asylum (cough, sorry ASYLUM!) ever again and the accompanying 'best place ever, freedom to do whatever you wanted!' palaver. And then there's the usual 'music is crap these days' usually said by, let's face it, people like me with kids that don't get out anymore. The thing is music trends move on and change. Some times there's lulls in good music being made and sometimes there is an upsurge in quality (which is happening at the moment imo).

The thing is if you're one of those guys that sits around moaning about how the music was only good in the early nineties and it's been rubbish ever since you're the raver equivalent of the auld lads with the Elvis hairdos. Time to move on lads and stop hero-worshipping a kip that no longer exists and crappy mix tapes by Warren K and the like. These things were only ever meant transitory and to be lived in the moment. Spending all your time going on about how every thing was greater back then is a waste of the present if you ask me. Enjoy yourselves now lads and stop living in the past and if you really, genuinely believe that there is no good music out there now you need your head examined...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

After posting on boards for a while I'd be glad to never have to hear or read about Asylum (cough, sorry ASYLUM!) ever again and the accompanying 'best place ever, freedom to do whatever you wanted!' palaver. And then there's the usual 'music is crap these days' usually said by, let's face it, people like me with kids that don't get out anymore. The thing is music trends move on and change. Some times there's lulls in good music being made and sometimes there is an upsurge in quality (which is happening at the moment imo).

The thing is if you're one of those guys that sits around moaning about how the music was only good in the early nineties and it's been rubbish ever since you're the raver equivalent of the auld lads with the Elvis hairdos. Time to move on lads and stop hero-worshipping a kip that no longer exists and crappy mix tapes by Warren K and the like. These things were only ever meant transitory and to be lived in the moment. Spending all your time going on about how every thing was greater back then is a waste of the present if you ask me. Enjoy yourselves now lads and stop living in the past and if you really, genuinely believe that there is no good music out there now you need your head examined...

Jaysus, don't knock having a shotgun stuck in your face till you've tried it - nothing quite like being off your face on pure MDMA and the threat of death to bring on a rush.... bleedin deadly it is. :eek: :pac:

After posting on boards for a while I'd be glad to never have to hear or read about Asylum (cough, sorry ASYLUM!) ever again and the accompanying 'best place ever, freedom to do whatever you wanted!' palaver.

Shame you wont get your desire andy:D
    And then there's the usual 'music is crap these days' usually said by, let's face it, people like me with kids that don't get out anymore. The thing is music trends move on and change. Some times there's lulls in good music being made and sometimes there is an upsurge in quality (which is happening at the moment imo).

Havnt got the time to go looking but this was all thrashed out on here in the past regarding music now & then good & bad.

Ahh, again, already well discussed, to summarise,

I dont live in the past, nor do i have any wish to, but, i would not change my past in anyway at all, there is nothing wrong at all with sharing good times of past with people who experienced what you did, also, it would be very unhealthy mentally, i reckon, if you feel so attached to the good memories & experiences of your past to bury & ignore them, i enjoy different things these days than i did when i was 21, i find what i want from a weekend these days completley different to when i was 21, why is it you feel that there is something wrong if someone of my age feels that the music/rave scene we were emerresed in was better then than it is now?

Undoubtedly people clubbing these days have a blast, and fair play to them, i hope they are, but refusing to accept that it was more eneregetic (in an evolutionary sense) and inspiring back then, just to somehow justify a want to offer an argument that leans towards people letting go of their past (the conotation being that said people must be obsessive about their past) is simply immature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Undoubtedly people clubbing these days have a blast, and fair play to them, i hope they are, but refusing to accept that it was more eneregetic (in an evolutionary sense) and inspiring back then, just to somehow justify a want to offer an argument that leans towards people letting go of their past (the conotation being that said people must be obsessive about their past) is simply immature.
    I'm going to disagree on this point Is Mise

I think there is a hell of a lot MORE music being made these days. The scene has changed so much, you couldn't say it was more vibrant then, just different. As for energetic, I know I was more energetic then, but that was because I was in my teens! Are you sure it just didn't seem more energetic because you were younger and full of energy? :p

joker77 wrote: »
    I'm going to disagree on this point Is Mise

I think there is a hell of a lot MORE music being made these days. The scene has changed so much, you couldn't say it was more vibrant then, just different. As for energetic, I know I was more energetic then, but that was because I was in my teens! Are you sure it just didn't seem more energetic because you were younger and full of energy? :p

No, i said energetic in an evolutionary sense, and not just the music, but the music was far more exciting as it was new, sure it has been said i dont know how many times on here about artists just rehashing the same old same old styles etc creating new genres etc.

Now, i didnt get into the music end of things really if you take alook over it again as music is very subjective to the time it is coming out & the generation that is getting into it, but again the amount of bitching that has gone on on here from not the old skoolers about the quality of the music production on the likes of beatport etc kind of vindicates what i am saying on that front, however, as i said already, it very subjective.

I was responding to the idea that you shouldnt enjoy some indulgence in your past (without it being obsessive) & just get on with the now, i do get on with the now, my life is full of stuff i really enjoy, i wish dearly i didnt have to work 8 hours a day so i could enjoy life HERE & NOW more.

• Advertisement

why is it you feel that there is something wrong if someone of my age feels that the music/rave scene we were emerresed in was better then than it is now?
    That's the thing though, how do you know what's better if you're coming at both scenes from a different perspective. I think most people have a problem with "oldskoolers" because of their dismissive nature of anything that has come since, the "You weren't there, so you don't know!" attitude. As Andy says, it' s like old Rockers dismissing anything other than the first five years of Rock n Roll. Sure, it's not the same, but who's to say it's worse?

That's the thing though, how do you know what's better if you're coming at both scenes from a different perspective. I think most people have a problem with "oldskoolers" because of their dismissive nature of anything that has come since, the "You weren't there, so you don't know!" attitude. As Andy says, it' s like old Rockers dismissing anything other than the first five years of Rock n Roll. Sure, it's not the same, but who's to say it's worse?

Well, i think if you are honest baz, have i ever displayed a "You weren't there, so you don't know!" attitude?

I have always said that i hope whatever people are into now & venue they are going to they are having a blast, i simply offer my persepctive on it, which as you pointed out & i also alluded to is subjective to the time & generation.

Again, i was responding to the post from andy by offering that you can happily enjoy your past by discussing it with other like minded folks without it being obsessive or unhealthy, which is was andy was leaning towards if i interpreted him right.

You're different though Mise, you're a Hippy Lefty, who's willing to debate on the subject, so my comments weren't directed at you.

Listen, I'd be considered an oldskooler too, and for me the scene was way better back then but I don't go on about it all the time, or at least I think I don't.

Jaysus, don't knock having a shotgun stuck in your face till you've tried it - nothing quite like being off your face on pure MDMA and the threat of death to bring on a rush.... bleedin deadly it is.:rolleyes: :eek: :pac:

Maybe this should be falgged as being sarcastic, wouldnt want people to get the wrong end of the stick & think a mod was promoting illegal drugs & violence:D

You're different though Mise, you're a Hippy Lefty, who's willing to debate on the subject, so my comments weren't directed at you.

Thanks for the compliment;)
    Listen, I'd be considered an oldskooler too, and for me the scene was way better back then but I don't go on about it all the time, or at least I think I don't.

Well, no you dont as it happens, i think i remember you saying once that you played in the shaft, is that right?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the compliment;)
    You're welcome. :)
    Well, no you dont as it happens, i think i remember you saying once that you played in the shaft, is that right?
    Yup

Yup

And thats about as much as you ever going to hear of Baz's time DJ'ing in the shaft.

And thats about as much as you ever going to hear of Baz's time DJ'ing in the shaft.
    Haha.

What do want to know?

I also played in Tin Pan Alley a few times, and played on Power FM for years.

No, i said energetic in an evolutionary sense, and not just the music, but the music was far more exciting as it was new, sure it has been said i dont know how many times on here about artists just rehashing the same old same old styles etc creating new genres etc.

Now, i didnt get into the music end of things really if you take alook over it again as music is very subjective to the time it is coming out & the generation that is getting into it, but again the amount of bitching that has gone on on here from not the old skoolers about the quality of the music production on the likes of beatport etc kind of vindicates what i am saying on that front, however, as i said already, it very subjective.

I was responding to the idea that you shouldnt enjoy some indulgence in your past (without it being obsessive) & just get on with the now, i do get on with the now, my life is full of stuff i really enjoy, i wish dearly i didnt have to work 8 hours a day so i could enjoy life HERE & NOW more.

Everyone gets nostalgic, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I get misty eyed listening to some of the old tunes I have on vinyl but the problem I have is that for a lot of oldskoolers they blame everything (the music, the drugs, etc.) for the reasons clubbing went down the toilet except the fact that maybe they were just getting older and not getting as much of a buzz out of it anymore.

Yes, there is an enormous amount of poo on Beatport and it is easier for the chancers to get there music released but there are still a lot of labels that are always guaranteed quality releases - Punch Drunk, Swamp 81, Hot Flush etc. - and plenty of people online to help you sort the wheat from the chaff.

The music is always going to be exciting when your getting in to it and I know there's not going to a roots movement like that for a long time but the constant 'bitd' business is a bit tiresome. Like I said music is constantly evolving.

Everybody has to work 8 hours a day at some stage but, and this is not aimed at you Is Mise, I reckon with the bit of spare time I have I'd rather be checking out some new tunes than figuring out what track 8 was on a Warren K mixtape from 1993.

Do you know what Is Mise, you should head out with us to Shed at the Twisted Pepper to see what you think it's like now…

Do you know what Is Mise,
    I don't know, what is Mise?

I don't know, what is Mise?

It's a kind of crop found in Argentina, like maize except with a slightly rougher texture.

It's a kind of crop found in Argentina, like maize except with a slightly rougher texture.
    Does it lean to the left when it grows?

Do you know what Is Mise, you should head out with us to Shed at the Twisted Pepper to see what you think it's like now…

I wouldnt knock it at all, but as i said i know what i want from my weekends these days, not saying i wouldnt ever venture in at some point but im not overly drawn to it, are there many 'hipsters' frequent the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you do see a few tbh. but they're intimidated by people over 6 foot and who actually have shoulders so they run away.

Does it lean to the left when it grows?

To the far left. As they joke in Argentinia: Creo que el mise es comunista! Har har har…

• Advertisement

I wouldnt knock it at all, but as i said i know what i want from my weekends these days, not saying i wouldnt ever venture in at some point but im not overly drawn to it, are there many 'hipsters' frequent the place?

If you bare your teeth at them the hipsters stay away. That and being tragic enough to wear socks with your shoes…

Hey Is mise , you might even get a chance wear ear plugs :pac: :D

If you bare your teeth at them the hipsters stay away. That and being tragic enough to wear socks with your shoes…

Or.....announce quite loudly to some young un in the smoking area that 'I know yer mudder'.

Or.....announce quite loudly to some young un in the smoking area that 'I know yer mudder'.

Always the highlight of my night…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Always the highlight of my night…

as in known in the biblical sense?

francois wrote: »
    as in known in the biblical sense?

Nah, worked with the woman. The last time I'd seen the daughter she was being brought to a Westlife concert…

twas genuinely hilarious....a er, slightly gurning android saying 'you're not gonna believe this but I know that girl's mother, should I say it to her? Yeah I'll say it to her'

Thankfully I wasn't showing off my chest with my shirt completely unbuttoned. That would have been embarrassing…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

you do see a few tbh. but they're intimidated by people over 6 foot and who actually have shoulders so they run away.

I can only ever get through 2 tracks at a time in the Basement, before having to run away. It's a terrible affliction. It's the main reason all hipsters smoke, to give us something to do while we summon up the courage to go back down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement