Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database certs

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

What certs are a good place to start in database

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Which technology stack are you looking at? MS, Oracle, MySql, DB2 etc?

Once you give us that, and what your focus is, it will be a bit easier. Most of the people are still workiing on their telepathy at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zazzz

What are the most popular !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

zazzz wrote: »
    What are the most popular !

I would say Oracle, Ginger would say MS Sql and I'm sure others will say MySQL, Informix, DB2, Sybase or CODASYL (look that one up, kids).

Do you have any experience with any DMBS?

If so, what experience do you have?

After doing a small bit of research SQL seems to be very popular not ruling out the the rest. I just want somewhere to start.

Again are you a developer or do you want to a system admin?

On the Microsoft SQL Stack there are paths for administrators and database developers on both SQL 2005 and 2008

Are you looking for certification information.. can you give some more information. Have you heard of the MCDBA before?

• Advertisement

I'm more interested in administration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

After doing a small bit of research SQL seems to be very popular not ruling out the the rest. I just want somewhere to start.

Ok, not being pedantic here, but SQL is the language used to query databases. :D

Are you talking about MS SQL?

Best way to start is to install a DB yourself and see how you get on. Microsoft, Oracle and many others provide a starter database to install and play around with. Look for Express versions (i.e. MS SQL Express, Oracle Express, etc.).

As with Microsoft, there are corresponding DBA and developer streams with Oracle.

I'm more interested in administration

Seriously!??? Thats it???

Start throwing us a bone here please.. You dont pay by the word so give us your experience, what you have worked with before in DBMS terms, you computer expereince, tiimelines etc.. the more information we have the better advice we can give you....

Ginger, only have the Comptia A+, Network+ and ECDL no experiece in the IT industry at all.
    I didn't know that where so many options to choose from Microsoft, Oracle etc. I would rather start with Microsoft certs due to there popularity. I know SQL is popular but Microsoft is a huge industry player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just started learning databases using Informix and I quite like it.

• Advertisement

With that limited amount of experience I would stay away from certification for the moment and just get up to speed on basic RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) and basic SQL.

Even an administrator needs to know how to build queries.

Your best bet is downloading a copy of MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edition from here and following the guide (the express edition usually comes with the web platform installer so installation may be different) You can download it without the WPI from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=01af61e6-2f63-4291-bcad-fd500f6027ff) and there is also some release notes on that page

You will need to get familiar with the management studio, basic security techniques, windows authentication, protocals, backups, topics such as log shipping, database mirroring and replication before you would be starting on certification.

Database stuff in general is wide and varied and takes a while to get used to. The best way is to learn in practice.

In the database market, the players are Oracle, IBM, MS, Terradata,Sybase in 2006/2007/2008 (Source Gartner).

As databases are usually the back bone of a lot of companies they dont normally let non experienced people play with them so you need to work on getting an entry somewhere where you can be mentored by a DBA who can help you get on your way.

Thanks for the advice. One last thing will Knowing SQL alone get me anywhere.

Well yeah office stuff such as Access for example uses SQL (its a database)

Knowing SQL is a good skill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Thanks for the advice. One last thing will Knowing SQL alone get me anywhere.

Its pretty much essential for database work.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Advertisement