Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 250 NUIM Students DELIVER A Petition Against 'Professor' Ahern

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

God be with the old days when you had to be able to read and write if you wanted to be a professor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

^ Bock The Robber, I love your site, its been in my favourites for a good while actually!
    A MAYNOOTH professor helped get Bertie Ahern appointed as an honorary professor - just weeks after he attended the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to approach the members of Academic Council and see how many of them knew of Robert Galavans Fianna Fail membership when they voted on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

efla wrote: »
    This is the standard to which we hold the title of professor? I may as well wipe my arse with my phd next year

Eh, that would be why the word honorary was included in Ahern's title. I'm pretty sure Roy Keane knows SFA about legal matters, but yet he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Law by UCC.

Now before anyone jumps on this post getting the wrong idea, I'm not coming out to support the appointment, or anything like it. I'm simply pointing out that with the title being honorary, there is a significant distinction from the titles awarded to full time academics, so the claims that it devalues the regular awards should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Apparently he was invited to the carol's last night and didn't show up. Or so I hear anyways. His loss, they're always fantastic fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Fantastic fun when you sneak in a nagen and coke? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Apparently he was invited to the carol's last night and didn't show up.

Was prob scared of being smashed in the face with a "Dublin Spire" replica :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

This is a f***ing disgrace, apparently when not sorting out jobs for the lads he lectures in ETHICS. Makes a mockery of nuim and lowers the value of all our degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

cython wrote: »
    Eh, that would be why the word honorary was included in Ahern's title. I'm pretty sure Roy Keane knows SFA about legal matters, but yet he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Law by UCC.

Now before anyone jumps on this post getting the wrong idea, I'm not coming out to support the appointment, or anything like it. I'm simply pointing out that with the title being honorary, there is a significant distinction from the titles awarded to full time academics, so the claims that it devalues the regular awards should be taken with a grain of salt.

Trying to distance your own PhD from him there are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

No mention of Fianna Fail membership on www.robertgalavan.com anyway, funny that. I'm sure he told Academic Council though, before propposing we give Bertie an Honorary position :rolleyes: Pity it was The Daily Mail that revealed it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OnaedInSpace

Effluo wrote: »

Oh man really good spot there. Bertie Ahern must be the cleverest business man in Ireland. Recession free, previously bank account free and now tax free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 takensanity

hi sorry, i'm new to this whole thing and was told to come check it out.

firstly, I am a member of Ógra Fianna Fáil and I must say that the appointment of bertie ahern as an adjunct professor has nothing to do with us, and I must say that if you've got to resort to calling us "gombeen fianna fail gob****es" then you've little to be doing with your time. Everyone is entitled to a political opinion, I respect yours PrivateEye, though I may not agree with it, and I definitely do not publically slur you, or any of your counterparts. I, like the other fianna fail members in NUIM have a political opinion, don't call us idiots because of it, doing so is insulting to your own intelligence.

the reason that no-one from ógra has spoken about this before is because we wanted no part in it, yet needless to say, we saw ourselves being dragged into the middle of it when it went to the national press. I too received phonecalls from the times, the indo and so on, I just decided not to comment, as I'm not directly involved. We decided to act on it when the issue began to affect our cumann directly.

We unlike FEE, are more than just a college society, we are also an affiliate of a national political party and cannot just run off to the national press and issue statements, as what we say, reflects on a larger organisation.

As regards being "as alive as a 98 year old man in a coma", whilst we may not have been active on campus, we've been as active with national ógra circles as FEE have been in Maynooth. We, like many other societies have lost our notice board as a result of reallocation but are due to get it back. We're gonna be pretty busy in semester 2 on campus, so we'll see who dead then.

Oh and when Bertie is due to come again, I'll be sure to send you an invite.

As regards Robert Gallavan being a Fianna Fáil member, since when has it been common place to make somebody declare their political affiliations. Would you ask the same of certain sociology lecturers who are members of various left wing parties, some having even served as public representatives for them? I don't see anyone barging down their doors

It seems to me that it is acceptable to have political affiliations in NUIM, just so long as they're of a leftist persuasion. If you think that makes you guys any better than us, your fooling yourselves.

Ógra Fianna Fáil -- evading the issue one rant at a time.

Just like the grown-ups, then.

Isn't continuity a great thing? When they leave school, they'll be ready to sell the country to a new generation of thieves.

Ógra Fianna Fáil -- evading the issue one rant at a time.

Just like the grown-ups, then.

Isn't continuity a great thing? When they leave school, they'll be ready to sell the country to a new generation of thieves.

grow up, there's an opposition reply if ever i've heard one! tar all of us with the one brush why don't you. God knows everyone who has ever voted for FF is exactly the same...

I'm not evading the issue. What do you want me to tell you? Seriously, nothing I say is going to make you even remotely acknowledge my point.

This isn't a No to Prof. Bertie campaign, it never has been. It's an anti-FF campaign, using Bertie Ahern as a platform to gain press coverage. Anyone with halfwit can see it. It's never been about Bertie Ahern, the only thing you have against him is the Mahon Tribunal. Everything else is anti-FF propaganda. Is it any wonder we haven't engaged with you over it before.

How dare you brand me corrupt? You have no idea what my personal beliefs on previous party leadership has been. In your previous statement bock the robber, you have gone off topic and evaded the issue yourself. How does it feel to be a filthy hypocrite. Like I said before, if you think you're any better than us, you're fooling yourself!

You belong to an organisation that dosn't deserve to be called a political party. It's more akin to a conspiracy.

And don't advise me to grow up, young man. You haven't experienced enough of life to offer such advice to your elders.

You belong to an organisation that dosn't deserve to be called a political party. It's more akin to a conspiracy.

And don't advise me to grow up, young man. You haven't experienced enough of life to offer such advice to your elders.

Yes, but that same so called "conspiracy" has won more elections than any other.

I will advise you to grow up as you're acting like a child. I've experienced plenty! Do not patronize me, thank you very much! Also, what makes you think I'm a man?

Very well, young lady.

The criminal conspiracy called Fianna Fáil has destroyed our country due to its corruption and cronyism, and now the arch-cynic who led it through the most corrupt of times is to be offered an honorary professorship.

The fact that a young woman like you would still cling to such a rotten edifice speaks volumes about you. As you mature, perhaps you'll find the wisdom to be angry at what your handlers have done to our country.

But this isn't about you. It's about the illiterate cynic who has been wrongly honoured by NUIM. And therefore, we will now stop pandering to your tantrums.

tantrums? who do you think you are?

I have already said that you've no idea what I think about the way my party has been handled and has conducted itself, and you don't, nor do you have any right to know. My political opinion is entirely my own so please do not accuse me of standing by everything FF have ever done, I am not an idiot.

As regards Bertie Aherns honorary professorship, he's not here as Bertie Ahern TD, he's here as Bertie Ahern. Like Irish_Goat already said he's here to lecture on a topic in which his experience is unparalleled. By getting his title removed you are not solely depriving the students in questions of their education, you are putting this college into disrepute.

Who do I think I am? Well, I'm someone who has worked all his life, raised a family and been brought to great difficulty by the mismanagement of the corrupt organisation you belong to.

Your private thoughts are your own business, and I have no insight into them, nor would I want to have any such insight. The fact that you are a member of Fianna Fáil Lite is in itself a sufficient statement of where you stand.

Why did you think anyone cared about your personal private thoughts? As I said, this is about the individual who led our country into the mire.

Bertie Ahern's experience in duplicity, evasion and double-dealing is certainly unparallelled, but I don't believe such qualities are the sort of things we should be inculcating in our youth.

After all, isn't that what created our current disaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You're a laughing stock. That a young person would willingly join FF is an indictment of either their lack of good DNA or an indictment of their parent's lack of same. You stand for everything I hate. Bet you're riding Iris Robinson too. Gwan ya good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think you're both being immature and narrow-minded and insulting. These two statements strike me as representative examples. I would hope the reasons why are clear enough.
    By getting his title removed you are not solely depriving the students in questions of their education, you are putting this college into disrepute.
    Your private thoughts are your own business, and I have no insight into them, nor would I want to have any such insight. The fact that you are a member of Fianna Fáil Lite is in itself a sufficient statement of where you stand.

They're not. Explain further.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    You're a laughing stock. That a young person would willingly join FF is an indictment of either their lack of good DNA or an indictment of their parent's lack of same. You stand for everything I hate. Bet you're riding Iris Robinson too. Gwan ya good thing

I'm sorry that you've resorted to this leixlip red, it says a lot about you that you cannot come up with a factual retort to any of the points that have been risen which conflict with your own. Its a pity you're so ignorant, really it is, if you weren't I may actually have taken offence. :rolleyes:

I think I'm clearly being the immature one. You should see what I originally wrote, it was far worse.

I'm sorry that you've resorted to this leixlip red, it says a lot about you that you cannot come up with a factual retort to any of the points that have been risen which conflict with your own. Its a pity you're so ignorant, really it is, if you weren't I may actually have taken offence. :rolleyes:

Factual? Like the facts Herr Ahern presented to the tribunal? Now why would I use those? Your party never has.

I'd like to add that the opinions I expressed aren't actually my own.

I got some of them from a fellow in England and I won the rest of them on a horse.

I assume you kept said opinions under a mattress at home during the period were your consciousness wasn't active?

My girlfrfiend's aunt had them for a while, on loan.

You know you have to keep them in an air tight container? They're like baloons, they just float away. Or the air inside the baloons. Hot air.

• Advertisement

what was presented to the tribunal was presented by bertie ahern, not by FF. Nor do i stand by anything he said, I like many of you think that he is in fact guilty, but i also see the fact that students in the course in question stand to gain something from him being a lecturer on the panel. end of.

Advertisement