Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace the Government

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

What needs to happen (asides from a violent revolution) for a change of government in this country?

This is a serious question.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Mutiny matey.

Arrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

A general election.

It's always been the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

A benevolent dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

The green party to grow some balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

What are the circumstances required for a general election to be called?

Who has the position to make that call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A cull of everyonr over about sixty and living outside Dublin (and quite a few inside Dublin)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Really, there is not much point until we see how this budget is implemented. Let those culpible make the hard decisions (and receive the deserved backlash), then let people vote next year on who they want to implement this plan "going forward" (as Brian would say).

Also, I don't want to see a single cent from public funds spent on election campaigns, other than encouraging people to vote. Party donations only should be used for party campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

trentv wrote: »
    What are the circumstances required for a general election to be called?

Who has the position to make that call?

A vote of no confidence would be needed, then the Taoiseach is supposed to call a general election, the president can over rule this though and keep an unpopular government in power(AFAIK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

Dickerty wrote: »
    Really, there is not much point until we see how this budget is implemented. Let those culpible make the hard decisions (and receive the deserved backlash), then let people vote next year on who they want to implement this plan "going forward" (as Brian would say).

That was kind of why i asking, how can we ensure that we get a vote next year since the next general election isn't planned until 2012...

So it seems its a vote of no confidence required.

It is a great chance for a true leader to start showing their colours, because at the moment its very hard to see anyone in dail eireann capable of making the hard decisions. All they seem to be able to do is to put down the oppositions suggestions and create alternatives that wont work in the real world but sound great to the uneducated looking for an easy out.

The system revolves too much on popularity, and not enough on productivity or accountability. Its a very frustrating time.

FG already tabled a motion of no confidence after the Governing parties got destroyed in the local and European elections but nothing happened. I'd be surprised if this budget were to cause much of a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Rb wrote: »
    FG already tabled a motion of no confidence after the Governing parties got destroyed in the local and European elections but nothing happened. I'd be surprised if this budget were to cause much of a reaction.
    They held onto power by a few seats, I think it was three seats, they've lost one recently, I wonder how many other TD's have doubts in the back of their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

no more hippie greenparty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Don't get me wrong, I have no loyalty to Fianna Fail and I'm as pi**ed off with them as the next man, but I can't see any better alternative. The opposition can attack everything the government tries, but attacking is easy. I don't hear any better ideas. So what's the point in replacing the government?

geuro wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I have no loyalty to Fianna Fail and I'm as pi**ed off with them as the next man, but I can't see any better alternative. The opposition can attack everything the government tries, but attacking is easy. I don't hear any better ideas. So what's the point in replacing the government?
    If this is your belief then honestly, you're not as pissed off with them as the average person right now.

Why replace Fianna Fail? You've got to be joking.

If this is your belief then honestly, you're not as pissed off with them as the average person right now.

I'm not joking. Looking forward, who provides a better alternative? And for the record, I have lost approx 15% of my wage in the last year, I have been affected as much as the average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

i think what the poster is trying to get at is who exactly to replace them with.

i'd like to see FF out of power, but i'm not sure i'd have any of the other parties in there either and we'd need someone to step in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Can we not get rid of our national government and just let the EU decide whats best for us? :rolleyes:

I dont have any confidence in FF or any opposition party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

We are fcuked.

77 billion national debt today. It will increase by 25 billion more by this time next year.

Any government that come in will have to

reduce dole to 50% and remove those long term dole families
    sack 100,000 of the public service
    remove the church from power sieze their assets and jail the fckers NOW
    prosecute the people that caused the collaspe of the economy
    complete redesign of the way we are governed and provide services by copying the best that exist around the world

+loads of other things that are posted on this forum

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's a sentiment I've seen expressed quite a lot, and it never ceases to amaze me.

There are three possibilities: either a putative replacement government would be better than the current government, as bad as it, or worse.

I'm finding it pretty hard to imagine how a government could possibly do a worse job than the one we've currently got.

It's a bit like the battered wife who refuses to leave her husband, because anyone else she ends up in a relationship with might be even more abusive.

I just don't understand it.

I'm not joking. Looking forward, who provides a better alternative? And for the record, I have lost approx 15% of my wage in the last year, I have been affected as much as the average person.
    Well, personally I have and will continue to support Fine Gael. They're the only ones who'll take the hands on approach to fixing this and doing what needs to be done, I believe. I certainly will not be entertaining Labour, I don't generally mind them but their ties to the Unions would have our budgets in an even worse state than they are today.
    They do have a really good reputation locally though, however I don't think I could trust them nationally. Perhaps a FG/Lab Government but prefer a single party Government if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

FG hands on approach in fixing something, please tell me what did they fix in the 80's

Enda Kenny is man where his word is worth nothing, said he stand down after the last election if they did not win, did he no.

So therefore FG cant be trusted.

Labour will do want unions will tell them to do, so thats a no also.

FF havent a clue either, no leader no balls

The other parties arent worth typing about.

Next election i vote independent or we need a new party to come forward!

Something like Irish People Party

FG hands on approach in fixing something, please tell me what did they fix in the 80's

Enda Kenny is man where his word is worth nothing, said he stand down after the last election if they did not win, did he no.

So therefore FG cant be trusted.

Labour will do want unions will tell them to do, so thats a no also.

The other parties arent worth typing about.

Next election i vote independent or we need a new party to come forward!

Something like Irish People Party
    I should have known by the :D preface that this wasn't a post worth reading :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

He he last part of it was a joke.

But seriously there is no party in our country worth voting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It could be argued that they laid the foundation for the "boom", only for FF to come into power and ensure that it was far too short-lived.

Fair point; the vote re O'Donoghue implied that that is pretty much the case with all parties.

However, in addition to the above, FF have no ethics or morals, and only look out for themselves; spending like f**k and not caring about anything beyond maximising the next vote. Long-term plans for the good of the country are non-existent.

Yes, we need a proper government and shouldn't have to settle for "the best of a bad lot"; but until that day comes I'll gladly take "the best of a bad lot", which means FG & Labour.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's a sentiment I've seen expressed quite a lot, and it never ceases to amaze me.

There are three possibilities: either a putative replacement government would be better than the current government, as bad as it, or worse.

I'm finding it pretty hard to imagine how a government could possibly do a worse job than the one we've currently got.

It's a bit like the battered wife who refuses to leave her husband, because anyone else she ends up in a relationship with might be even more abusive.

I just don't understand it.

A battered wife can get along ok without a husband. But we can't get on ok as a country without a leader. So, to develop your analogy, I'm like a battered wife who absolutely must have a husband, stuck in an abusive relationship but unable to leave because all of the other husbands appear to be even more abusive.

I hear nothing constructive from FG, just pick holes in everything but never offer anything. And we all know there is no easy fix - it's easy to keep occupied picking holes where every solution has it's pitfalls. No positive or constructive, realistic plans on how the situation can be improved. They need to focus on coming up with a viable solution for an alternative. As for Labour, they would be even more submissive to the public sector unions than the spineless shower we have in at the moment.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Yes, we need a proper government and shouldn't have to settle for "the best of a bad lot"; but until that day comes I'll gladly take "the best of a bad lot", which means FG & Labour.

I think our current government are the best of a bad lot. Fingers crossed on the budget. I hope they can show us they have some balls.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A battered wife can get along ok without a husband. But we can't get on ok as a country without a leader. So, to develop your analogy, I'm like a battered wife who absolutely must have a husband, stuck in an abusive relationship but unable to leave because all of the other husbands appear to be even more abusive.
    So Fine Gael and Labour have an equally impressive track record of trashing the entire country's economy? News to me.
    I hear nothing constructive from FG, just pick holes in everything but never offer anything.
    Apart from, oh I dunno, a proposal for a healthcare system based on international best practice? To which, if I'm not mistaken, Fianna Fáil replied "there's nothing wrong with the HSE".
    I think our current government are the best of a bad lot.
    "But he loves me really..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

just something fianna fail voters say as a way of passing themselves during the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

The opposition have had 2-3 of the past 24 years (roughly speaking) , why not give them at least the same leeway you have given FF...2 years ago FF were saying how they created celtic tiger, now they dont want anything from that time mentioned...They can't have it both ways...A change is needed...Judge them after that...What is happening now is incredible IMHO...Cowen is the weakest leader I have ever seen in Ireland, yet there are people who will vote FF..There is a bandwagon against Kenny, (he is not great) but he is not that much of a liability either IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So Fine Gael and Labour have an equally impressive track record of trashing the entire country's economy?

Fine Gael have the advantage of not having to pretend that things done over the years were done correctly. If I was FG I would propose to release all of the data from the benchmarking processes and have a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

The alternatives to Fianna Fail dont look much more attractive however the main advantage they have to offer the electorate is that they are an alternative ...

Fianna fail have been in power too long and we have to take them out of office for sufficient time to remove their tentacles from every aspect of public life including all the semi-state boards, quangos etc...

The present incumbent , Brian Cowen, as Prime Minister is particularly flawed in so far as he was the minister for finance in the period leading up to the present predicament and has to take part of the blame.

During his time in office, he has failed to provide any leadership either in terms of his words or his deeds. How long is it since the publication of the McCarthy Report and what cuts have they made?

Although he is paid a similar amount to Mr Obama, his presentation does not come across quite as well and he probably needs to go on a few Fas courses to catch up.

In many ways we got the government that we deserve. For myself I intend to work hard to get a better government next time round...and I hope that it's soon. (I confess to having voted FF last time - next time I'll know better!)

Advertisement