Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xerez CD v FC Barcelona - Live SS2 9PM

• 02-12-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

This is the rearranged fixture originally due to take place on the weekend of Dec 19th/20th to make up for Barcelona inclusion in the FIFA Club World Cup. This game could prove vital as a victory would open a 5 point gap at the top over eternal rivals Real Madrid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

especial_fcb-madrid.jpg

Laporta livin la vida loca after El Clásico on sunday night. It was his last game as president for El Clásico at the Camp Nou before he steps down. I went the Canaletes myself :p

lapor.jpg

lapor2.jpg

Barca lineup:

Valdes, Alves, Marquez, Chygrynskiy, Maxwell, Touré, Xavi, Keita, Pedro, Bojan, Henry

redout wrote: »
    Barca lineup:

Valdes, Alves, Marquez, Chygrynskiy, Maxwell, Touré, Xavi, Keita, Pedro, Bojan, Henry

No Messi or Iniesta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Both being rested. This is seen to be one of the most straightforward games of the season.

I like that starting 3. Good to see Bojan starting, and if Henry is poor again tonight I reckon we will not see him in the starting XI for quite sometime again.

That team should be able to easily dispose of Xerez.

• Advertisement

Any United supporters watching take a close look at the Xerez keeper Renan. He is on a seasons loan from Valencia. He was top class last season and could be a possible succesor to Julio Cesar in the Brazil team.

The pitch is bloody awful. Poor game so far. Neither side have any flow.

Opening half an hour has been quite rubbish.

That was AWFUL. Worst 45 minutes I have seen Barca play in a long while. Everyone was crap.

Better go nuts in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bring on Iniesta, Zlatan and Messi at half time!

• Advertisement

Goal..........

1 - 0

Le Cheat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Henry goal.

He's still dirt tbh.

Then a Henry comes along, with the strength to carry on.

Allez Titi

Here comes GoD or close enough :D

Christ, Chryginsky continues to look an extremely poor signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

gimmick wrote: »
    Christ, Chryginsky continues to look an extremely poor signing.

my god how much was he ?

if you believe the newspapers it was 25 million

ye are really silly in the transfer market

Ibra on the way.

Give Chyg time I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Give Chyg time I say.

what a pass by him :pac:

Iniesta!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a miss

Goal............

2 - 0

Ibracadabra

Nice lob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

It wasnt pretty at times but job done.

5 points clear at the summit.

Pressure on Real now.

Ya, job done, 5 points clear, but it was a terrible terrible game.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but if there were good strikers up against Chryg and Maxwell they would be destroyed. Both were quite awful tonight.

Also annoyed by the fact that the big 3 had to be taken off the bench to assure tonights result. Xerez are a poor side who should have been brushed aside by the starting XI tonight. If Barca have a few injuries and suspensions it could be very costly.

On a high note, what a fantastic finish from the 'waster' that is Ibra. Sublime.

They were without 6 regulars though.

Most top teams would show a lesser performance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You have to remember that's it not just losing the 5 or 6 players that weren't involved today and replacing them directly but also the team won't gel.
    I know you guys subscribe to a higher plain of footballing but 2-0 by hook or by crook is not to be scoffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ya, job done, 5 points clear, but it was a terrible terrible game.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but if there were good strikers up against Chryg and Maxwell they would be destroyed. Both were quite awful tonight.

Also annoyed by the fact that the big 3 had to be taken off the bench to assure tonights result. Xerez are a poor side who should have been brushed aside by the starting XI tonight. If Barca have a few injuries and suspensions it could be very costly.

On a high note, what a fantastic finish from the 'waster' that is Ibra. Sublime.

In saying that a team missing Messi and Ibra destroyed Inter 2 nil, the strongest team in Italy. Just not the best night at the office against Xerez.

They were without 6 regulars though.

Most top teams would show a lesser performance.

But isn't that what a squad is for though?

Obviously I am delighted with 3 points, and delighted with 2 nice goals. It could have been more but for a bad finsih by Iniesta and the post. Allt hings considered I suppose there is nothing to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Missing 5 or 6 key players for most of the match, just had the biggest match of the season last weekend so players are probably still wrecked from that and a huge match away to Deportivo this weekend, plus still need to guarantee a Champions League place next week: when you take all that into account it's not really surpising that they didn't play their best last night but 0-2 is still a good result.

But isn't that what a squad is for though?

Obviously I am delighted with 3 points, and delighted with 2 nice goals. It could have been more but for a bad finsih by Iniesta and the post. Allt hings considered I suppose there is nothing to complain about.

I dont think the bench is capable of handling so many absences and to expect anywhere near the same level of performance to be honest. If you do a like for like from last night it reads:

Abidal - Maxwell
    Pique - Marquez
    Puyol - Chyg
    Busquets - Toure
    Ibra - Henry
    Messi - Pedro

I think every position was weakened bar the DMF so I really wasnt surprised they struggled so much. It was the same against Atletic Bilbao I think with a few abscenes. I never feel overly confident when Pep mixes it up that much.

• Advertisement

Missing 5 or 6 key players for most of the match, just had the biggest match of the season last weekend so players are probably still wrecked from that and a huge match away to Deportivo this weekend, plus still need to guarantee a Champions League place next week: when you take all that into account it's not really surpising that they didn't play their best last night but 0-2 is still a good result.

Ya, I just came back on to post almost the exact same actually having thought about it reasonably and not in the crappy form I was in last night/this morning.
    redout wrote:
    I think every position was weakened bar the DMF so I really wasnt surprised they struggled so much. It was the same against Atletic Bilbao I think with a few abscenes. I never feel overly confident when Pep mixes it up that much.

Again, very fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I dont think the bench is capable of handling so many absences and to expect anywhere near the same level of performance to be honest. If you do a like for like from last night it reads:

Abidal - Maxwell
    Pique - Marquez
    Puyol - Chyg
    Busquets - Toure
    Ibra - Henry
    Messi - Pedro

It's unreasonable to think any team in the world can make those types of changes and not be weakened, if that was the case, they would be starters and not on the bench.

I think conditions were difficult last night and also as said, they've played big games and still have big games to come so, job done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Absolutely dire match tbf, but delighted with the three points. I hate when Guardiola does this no CF thing, I remember Bojan being deployed too much on the right side, and once Ibra came on you could see the difference. His hold up play rivals Freddie Kanoute at Sevilla, absolutely fantabulous. Nicely taken goal too.

LOL @ Iniesta's miss too. Anyway, bad game, bad performance, 3 points, another away fixture knocked off the calender. Just stop with the 4-6 formation Pep, it makes me scared. :p It'll be interesting to see if we buy another proper striker in the transfer window, we have quite a thin squad, and if Ibra gets injured we lose 40% of our attacking efficiency imo.

Advertisement