Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious re Crustacean

• 02-12-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I was on the beach this morning and one of the dogs came across a huge lobster - still very much , so rescued her from dog who was about to tuck into an early lobster dinner, and threw her back to sea - it was carrying eggs underneath.

Curious as to whether its the norm to find a lobster on the east coast or was she maybe blown way off course - any fishermen out there know ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There is still a commercial fisherman operatiing out of Greystones. He fishes Lobsters and Whelks. You can see his pots off Bray head most days. Apparantly it's still a very productive fishery.Next time eat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The kind folk here might be in a better position to answer your question.

Moved from Greystones and Charlesland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Maisy wrote: »
    I was on the beach this morning and one of the dogs came across a huge lobster - still very much , so rescued her from dog who was about to tuck into an early lobster dinner, and threw her back to sea - it was carrying eggs underneath.

Curious as to whether its the norm to find a lobster on the east coast or was she maybe blown way off course - any fishermen out there know ?

WHich beach were you walking on? (fetches box from shed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maisy wrote:
    ... it was carrying eggs underneath.
    Next time eat him.
    Some basic biology lessons required here, methinks. Anyway, any lobster fisherman will throw back any females with eggs that get caught for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Alun wrote: »
    Some basic biology lessons required here, methinks. Anyway, any lobster fisherman will throw back any females with eggs that get caught for obvious reasons.

:D made me grin!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lots of lobster fished along the East coast. Carlingford Lough is a great spot for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Sorry eat ''her'' and her eggs. Some people so touchy. wonder if it had a ''partner''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

gosh, do females lay eggs ????!!!! and I put it down to the little handbag she was carrying :p and eh, I threw her back for the same reason,.....

Ciaran, it was the South Beach, but watch out for the jellyfish, loads of the little critturs washed up too, but gender and reproductive status unknown, for obvious reasons lol !

Advertisement