Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some info on Castletroy college

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi folks I need some info on Castletroy college as I am confused and hearing mixed reports about it...

1) Is it really a middleclass type school? It's prospectus says it'll take anyone regardless of social background, but of course you have to be in the catchment area...

2) there are no fees but is there a voluntary contribution? Do parents feel pressurised to pay it? is transition year expersive?

3) Is the uniform dear? Do they have to buy lots of extra gear?

4) Are there people from mixed ethnic backgrounds there? Are there many people whose first language isn't english?

5) Is it regarded as a school for wealthier people? I heard a rumour that wealthy people buy houses there just so they can send kids to that school, but then I also heard that it's not really that different from other schools, just has a reputation.

Lot of questions there...but any help on anyof them would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    You can PM me if you want Privacy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

A. Contact the school itself

B. Speak to parents of children in the school

C. Speak to students in the school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I find it interesting that none of your questions are about the standard of teaching at the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I've got 2 kids in 2 different secondaries in Limerick and researched them alot when mine came to enrolment age. In relation to Castletroy,

1. far as I know, catchment area determines the intake - doesn't matter job status or not. Very hard (virtually impossible) to get into the school if don't live in catchment area.

2. voluntary contribution can only ever be that. If you can't afford it (or even don't want to pay it) they can't make you. Either way, you should approach the school and say you can't pay it as otherways you'll probably get repeated reminders. With most schools, once you've informed them you can't pay, its left at that. Transition year gets very expensive in some schools - I bet that was never the intention what it was first set up but the good old celtic tiger changed that. I'm guessing it'll revert back to a cheaper year in future.

3. dunno - probably no dearer than any of the other uniformed schools. If don't want to ring school about prices (and they might not even know the price to be honest) ring Gemma's in Henry Street. They sell the uniforms and could tell you how much.

4. Experience shows me that by secondary most kids who have come from non-english speaking countries have very good english, and will often out perform the native kids.

5. there are other Limerick schools too which have the reputation of parents buying houses nearby to get into the catchment area (Ard Scoil Ris and Munchins regularly have same comments applied to them).

I'd say its really no better no worse than alot of other Limerick schools. Priority in my opinion is to get a good feel for a school, talk to parents with kids already there, ask primary school teacher if school would suit your child, ask your child what they want. Remember too, that no matter how "good" a school is (and that is very subjective) parental involvement and the child's attitude to school is almost more important than the school. I know of kids in fee paying school in Limerick whose parents aren't what you'd call `middle class' and are badly struggling to pay the fees cos they want what they see as the best for their children.

Best of luck with choices - choosing schools can be very stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

I already know that there is a high academic and sporting standard in the school, I have spoken to students and staff there. What I want to know is how the school is percieved in the public, and do people have preconcieved notions about the school from its address and so on. I am interested in the fact that some people have totally different opinions on the school to others, and often people base their opinions on unfounded generalisations rather than fact. I want to know if parents would be put off or encouraged by what they hear. (I am not a parent)

Any help just on these ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

EDIT: Sorry Oh well I just saw your post now, thanks for that reply it's exactly what I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Well it does have a stereotype of celtic tiger L 4's alright but im sure a good mix go there.I did see photos in one of the free papers of a castletroy college ball with all the yummy mummys in the out and about,same this week for the comp,maybe thats the done thing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

sorry Live at Three, I answered assuming you were a parent (I know, I know, you should never assume ...). Only other thing I can add is that if I lived within the catchment and the school suited my children, based on what I know of the school from public preception, I'd have no hesitation in sending them there but I'm not in the region and have other schools which suit my kids within easy enough reach so I wouldn't see anything special in the school to bypass other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Hi LA3, I went there so I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can.
    Is it really a middleclass type school? It's prospectus says it'll take anyone regardless of social background, but of course you have to be in the catchment area...

I came from way outside the catchment area, but the school had been only open one year at the time, so there weren't as much of the brothers-and-sisters and catchment area only type selection in place then. There are a wide range of backgrounds in the school. Yes, it has its reputation, and, to an extent, the school has a noticeable number of 'L4s' as they're called, but there's certainly a good mixture of backgrounds. Hard to get into now, I'd imagine, with over a thousand in there and all their younger siblings coming up the line.
    there are no fees but is there a voluntary contribution? Do parents feel pressurised to pay it? is transition year expersive?

From what I can remember, there was a voluntary contribution. A letter was sent home about it, but think that was about it; don't remember them shoving down our throats.
    Is the uniform dear? Do they have to buy lots of extra gear?

Yes. Most uniforms are, but C'troy has the uniform plus the P.E wear as well.
    Are there people from mixed ethnic backgrounds there? Are there many people whose first language isn't english?

Yes, lots. There are a few without English as a first language, but there are support structures in place for them.
    Is it regarded as a school for wealthier people?
    I think it got that reputation because of its location, but, as I said above, there are a variety of backrounds in the student population.
    I also heard that it's not really that different from other schools, just has a reputation.

Well, everyone has an opinion on all the different schools based on how their children/friend's children/niece etc got on, so one person might think it's great, and the next person might hold it in a negative light. I've noticed since I left the place that there are some bitter people who take swipes at the school just because of its reputation.

As for the teaching, like most schools, there are the odd dud here and there, but there are an awful lot of excellent teachers there too. I was perfectly happy with all my teachers. It's also ranked quite highly as a feeder school for universities:
    Some 33 of the top 50 feeder schools in the State are not fee-paying.

This represents significant progress by non-fee-paying schools compared to last year, when 60 per cent of schools on the top list were fee-paying.

This year’s list shows a striking performance by many non-fee- paying schools, including Knocklyon Community School and Muckross Park in Dublin; Athlone Community College, Co Westmeath; Maynooth Vocational School, Co Kildare; and Castletroy Community College, Co Limerick.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1126/1224259488671.html

Not bad for a school that's not even open ten years.

That might give you an idea, but in general the teaching standard is very good and the facilities are excellent too.

Advertisement