Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat attacking plants

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi All

I have akitten who is great craic, gives us a lot of enjoyment. The only thing is I have a lot of plants and flowers around the house and at night he keeps attacking them, He also pees on then and has killed a few because of this, He has lots of toys and things to play with but every morning when I come down stairs he has bitten off another part of some plant, Its driving me mad. he wont go near them when I there becuase I squirt a little water at him but at night he goes to town. Has anyone had any similar problems and what worked for you. Any help would be appericated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like a typical cat, other than putting some avairy wire around the plants or putting them somewhere the kitten can't get to it not much can be done they love to mess with stuff at that age. Perhaps a cat tower if you haven't one already would be a good purchase so the kitten has somewhere else to play and mess, a high one with lots of things to do on it, rub it with cat nip to encourage the kitten as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Put small ornamental gravel pebbles in the plant pots to cover the soil and prevent any digging. Just completely cover the top of the soil in the pot with small gravel chippings. i know as a tom he probably pees straight onto the plant - the other option is to keep him in one room only, with a litter tray, and remove all plants from that room.
    Lavender oil squirted on the plant tends to work a treat as a deterrent, they hate the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

dan_d wrote: »
    Lavender oil squirted on the plant tends to work a treat as a deterrent, they hate the smell.

I have two cats that daily go outside and rub themselves in the lavender bushes in my garden, They also sleep on my daughters pillow if I don't shut the bedroom door. That pillow has lavender sachets in it. Is it just the oil they don't like?

The upside is we have two very nice smelling kitties!:D

Also had the plant murdering problem when they were young but they stopped as they got older. resorted to shutting them in kitchen with no plants when i was out.(they were defo peeing in plant pot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I put slightly crushed up tin foil on the top of the plant pot, that stopped ours to use the pot as toilet at least. Otherwise they just can't resist the grass like plant and keep trying to munch on it. So far (a few years on, lol) both cats and plant are well :D

Advertisement