Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games to get?

• 02-12-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I've just picked up an X-Box for my little brother for Christmas from my parents. He's 10. Along with the Console, he's getting FIFA 10, Forza Motorsport 3, Batman Lego and Pure.

I want to start him off with a nice little collection of games, so basically I want people to set the ball rolling on their top ten choices of games spread across the various genres that would make up the ideal library. It could be an interesting debate. First time on the X-box forum so forgive me if its been done too much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Every Halo game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

I've just picked up an X-Box for my little brother for Christmas from my parents. He's 10. Along with the Console, he's getting FIFA 10, Forza Motorsport 3, Batman Lego and Pure.

I want to start him off with a nice little collection of games, so basically I want people to set the ball rolling on their top ten choices of games spread across the various genres that would make up the ideal library. It could be an interesting debate. First time on the X-box forum so forgive me if its been done too much!

Hes already off to a good start anyway, he will have enough games to play over xmas , where did you get all those games free with xbox anyway???

Well if hes ten , and you dont want him becoming violent and aggressive , avoid MW2 and Left for dead , Gta 4 and such titles ... i would recommend for him Ghostbusters, oblivion, lego indianna jones, assanins creed 1 or 2 mabe halo 3 , tekken or street fighter and fable 2 if he likes music a guitar hero rock band or what not ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah for a bit of variety rock band would be good id say, you can get a guitar for €25 and a game for €20 in smyths at the moment. Also the full band set but no game for €45

Also you could always buy him a microsoft points card and get him some arcade games from xbox live, good mix of new an classic games im sure he would get good fun from, perhaps more at his age than some of the other full price games.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! I got the bundle on offer in HMV. I basically swapped Forza 3 for one of the cheaper games that came free and paid the difference. It cost €261 all in. Still pretty good!

I was actually wondering about MW2 for him. Is it that violent? It's rated 18 but providing its not too gory, I would consider getting it - for me and the Pop to monopolise. I think he could handle people getting shot and dying but just how explicit is the violence?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! I got the bundle on offer in HMV. I basically swapped Forza 3 for one of the cheaper games that came free and paid the difference. It cost €261 all in. Still pretty good!

I was actually wondering about MW2 for him. Is it that violent? It's rated 18 but providing its not too gory, I would consider getting it - for me and the Pop to monopolise. I think he could handle people getting shot and dying but just how explicit is the violence?

Its no gory no, but its the constant killing and addiction to the game that makes kids violent and hostile to their family these days, you should get it for yourself and enjoy it over xmas just make sure hes just not getting hooked on it lol. Games today are 100 % more addictive with the online capabilities and graphics,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

R0ot wrote: »
    Every Halo game.

Just in case: every Halo game.

Star wars Lego & guitar hero as well.

A Doozer wrote: »
    Just in case: every Halo game.

Star wars Lego & guitar hero as well.

jesus you dont want to spoil the kid , do you hes already getting 4 games !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Sorry about that. Eeep.

K except the games get him a gold membership for a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Every Halo game.

Hes 10 Halo is 18s is it not?
    Not to mention a terrible game but anyways nobody wants a halo kid for a brother.
    Crackdown is a great game not too gory however you do kill alot of people
    If your planning on him playing online then a year sub to xbox live is a good thing to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Evolute wrote: »
    Hes 10 Halo is 18s is it not?

Halo would be, by far, the best FPS to get for a child under 18 compared to any others. However I would not recommend the brother in question having Xbox Live access until he's 12/13 (secondary school)
    Evolute wrote: »
    Not to mention a terrible game but anyways nobody wants a halo kid for a brother.

You sir can DIAF.

• Advertisement

Its no gory no, but its the constant killing and addiction to the game that makes kids violent and hostile to their family these days, you should get it for yourself and enjoy it over xmas just make sure hes just not getting hooked on it lol. Games today are 100 % more addictive with the online capabilities and graphics,

So it's been proven that playing this particular game has made otherwise normal kids aggressive to their parents?! :confused:
    All my little brothers and cousins have played L4D, MW and GTA and i've never encountered one change in their behaviour.

Maybe the kids you saw were aggressive to begin with, as i assume your going on what you've seen previously(as i've never heard of a study that has proved this game or any others in fact make kids aggressive?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

You sir can DIAF.

Thanks your a standup guy.
    Not something a moderator would/should say
    All Halo games are the same yes the same!!!
    Repeditive springs to mind.
    Its the same as all other fps games out there even the storyline sucks.

From the sounds of things op your brother is set with games for the moment.
    I would say he wont know what to do with himself when you give him the xbox let alone the games along with it.

Also some games have been proven to make kids more aggressive and violent that is why there are age certificates for games so when you are buying them follow them to a certain degree obviously for a 10 year old 18s games are not suitable. So dont buy them for your kids

Off topic, but the kid is 10, he has more than enough games there for starting off. Do you want to destroy his social skills ? Any more games than he has and he will never leave his house again. Bye bye friends, bye bye childhood.

Agree with earlier poster, the halo games are bloody so overrated and I never found them interesting. Actually, halo on the original xbox was fun, anything after that, forget about it.

Advertisement