Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 64bit oem system builder

Options
  • 02-12-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hey guys quick one for ye.
    ive recieved some of my parts for new pc and ive ordered
    windows 7 64bit oem system builder
    did i just make a mistake should i have gotten the retail version instead?
    btw i ordered it from overclockers. if i need to return are they easy to deal with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nah oem just means no support and the basic 1 year warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

no support? would i ever need support?

what about if i want to swap it over to a different pc?

would i be just as well to send it back and get the retail version?
    all the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

I am let to believe regarding OEM that you can only install on one PC as many times as you need / want but only 1 PC.

The license does not have the ability to deactivated and activated again on another PC.

That is as I understand it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

no support? would i ever need support?

Probably not. Have you ever needed to call Microsoft before yourself about a problem?
    what about if i want to swap it over to a different pc?

OEM versions can be *very* problematic like that. Even just upgrading by changing the motherboard on the installed PC, for example, can cause Windows to think it's a new PC and stop working -- so you'd need to ring MS and get it reactivated.
    would i be just as well to send it back and get the retail version?
    all the same price.

Yes, get the retail version if it's not going to cost you. Could save a lot of hassle in the long run.

cheers looks like its going back tomorrow so
    hows overclockers like for returns?

• Advertisement

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=33&catid=1555

Just checked out of curiousity, that's actually a really good price for the retail version of home premium but I'm kind of surprised that they are selling the OEM and retail at the same price. Normally the OEM version is €50-€100 cheaper because of all its limitations. For the same price definately go retail.

How are they planning on shifting their OEM home premium versions? :\

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn't send it back if I were you. I've been using OEM version of Windows operating systems as far back as Windows 98 and never had any trouble with them. I got Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition OEM for the less than the price of the full Home Premium edition. The OEM versions are tied to the motherboard they are installed on, so you can change other hardware like CPU,RAM,GPU etc. If you ever need to upgrade the motherboard or whatever just ring them and give them a spiel about having to get your motherboard replaced or something along those lines. Anytime I've ever rang them I've usually been speaking to support people with very poor english and they just give you the re-activation code regardless of what you tell them. Although there has been talk that m$ will be getting a lot stricter with the re-activations since the introduction of Windows 7 but its hard to tell how strict they are until you need to re-activate?

If you don't plan on upgrading for a while then I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Just found this on the net;

"What is RTM, GA, Retail, and OEM?
    RTM is when the code is completed and signed off. GA, or general availability, is when that RTM'ed code is finally made available to the general public. Even though there is a full three months between RTM and GA, there is no difference between the RTM code and what you get when you get Windows at GA. The RTM bits are the GA bits. RTM is "we're done with the code", and GA is "we're done with the packaging, distribution, marketing, etc., and are read to sell it".

When GA comes, you can get Windows in two flavors: retail, which is what you buy at a store, is a less restrictive license (you can transfer it between machines, as long as only one machine is activated at a time), and you are entitled to support from Microsoft. OEM is a cheaper license, that you get when you get Windows bundled with a PC or if you buy a "system builder" copy from places like Newegg. OEM is cheaper because it's locked to a system (you can't transfer your license to another machine), and you are not entitled to tech support (the person who built your computer is responsible).

Generally speaking, there are two types of OEMs: regular and "royalty". Regular OEM is what you get when you buy a "system builder" OEM Windows. Except for the label on the disc, regular OEM discs are the same as retail discs, and they install the exact same bits as a retail disc. The difference is not in the disc, but in the key: if you activate Windows with a OEM key, that key is forever tied to your system, whereas if you use a retail key to activate, you can move that activation to another computer in the future.

The big PC makers like Dell, HP, and Sony are classified as "royalty OEMs" by Microsoft. They will often customize their disc by including logos, extra drivers, and/or hotfixes. Their discs will also include a special certificate that Windows uses to authenticate your computer's BIOS (which lets the royalty OEMs use something called SLP, which sorta allows them to bypass the hassle of activation).
    "

I actually thought that MS had changed the multi activation retail for W7. If i were you and it didn't cost much more extra, then i'd send back for the retail version too. Not for the tech support though lol :D

Keep in mind however that i fink MS are currently in a court case about how fair/unfair/legal the whole oem(one pc for life) thing is... Lets hope all our oem os's get "unlocked"

Effluo wrote: »
    Keep in mind however that i fink MS are currently in a court case about how fair/unfair/legal the whole oem(one pc for life) thing is... Lets hope all our oem os's get "unlocked"

I really can't see that happening at all, especially considering that MS are really trying to prevent end-users from getting their hands on the OEM versions meant for vendors in the first place.

Legally, you can no longer install OEM versions of Windows 7 on systems that you do not intend to sell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Farcear wrote: »
    I really can't see that happening at all, especially considering that MS are really trying to prevent end-users from getting their hands on the OEM versions meant for vendors in the first place.

Legally, you can no longer install OEM versions of Windows 7 on systems that you do not intend to sell.

There is a distinction between legality and the terms of a licensing agreement. Being prohibited in the license does not automatically make something ilegal.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    There is a distinction between legality and the terms of a licensing agreement. Being prohibited in the license does not automatically make something ilegal.

A violation of copyright law, no?

anyone want to buy it??
    before i send it back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just use the ****ing thing...

^^^^
    hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Anti wrote: »
    Just use the ****ing thing...

I agree. It's not like it's hard to get around.

What? I was referring to Linux, what did you think I was implying? :pac::pac:

Advertisement