Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS 131 Discovery, March 18, 2010.

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Beeker wrote: »
    Settle now, it's time to embrase the pear.....sorry the Soyuz:D:D:D

And i'll be exactly like them lads in the bulmers ad trying to embrace the pear.:D:D

There are 2 distinct sounds on Nasa TV. One is a whirling, like a siren and the other is a pressure release (saw puffs coming from top of orbiter in Infra red view)

What are they?

Thats the Shuttles APU's. There's 3 altogether and they vent just at the base of the tail. It was them that were making the loud whirring noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

lord lucan wrote: »
    Thats the Shuttles APU's. There's 3 altogether and they vent just at the base of the tail. It was them that were making the loud whirring noise.

Same ones you hear just before launch?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

There are 2 distinct sounds on Nasa TV. One is a whirling, like a siren and the other is a pressure release (saw puffs coming from top of orbiter in Infra red view)

What are they?
    The pressure release is from the APU's {Auxiliary Power Unit's} which control the hydraulics on board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Same ones you hear just before launch?
    Yeah you can hear them before launch and also the hydrogen igniters at the base of the orbiter.

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216826;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216813;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216800;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216932;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216955;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216965;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216969;image

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Leo thank you so very much for that , that was fantasic !!!!!!!

Excellent shots , best iv seen in a while :D

I think his is at Baikonur!:D:D

HaHa Beeky tht was funny :p

Sounded like me last night in bed:D

Boom Boom , Beekers in the roooom :)

• Advertisement

Sonic Booms are excellent. Love the double boom.

They are really AWESOME !!!!!!:pac:

There's always Soyuz:D

Go on Beeker rub it in hehehe

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216932;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216955;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216965;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=21309.0;attach=216969;image

Heros all , great great mission !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Sweet jesus that was some sonic booms!!!!!!

Cool for those who understood what they were not so much for some uncool cats who lost 1 of 9 lives!

There's always Soyuz:D

disgusting turncoat!!!! NOW You listen to ME:p

Having the presence of mind to even think about showing that respect just adds to the fantastic people We know they are already.

{also of note was the absence of MR Bolden,I wonder why?:)}

ynotdu wrote: »
    Cool for those who understood what they were not so much for some uncool cats who lost 1 of 9 lives!

That was brilliant Ynotdu!:D:D:D:D

That was brilliant Ynotdu!:D:D:D:D
    +1 that was great. got a good laugh out of that:D

ynotdu wrote: »
    disgusting turncoat!!!! NOW You listen to ME:p
    Embrace the pear....embrace the pear........:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Some unusual shots of Discovery after landing

dsc01693n.jpg
    dsc01722ij.jpg
    dsc01700d.jpg
    dsc01726g.jpg

I'm always surprised at how good the SSME's look after a mission. There's hardly a mark on them.

I'm always surprised at how good the SSME's look after a mission. There's hardly a mark on them.
    What a machine :)

Embrace the pear....embrace the pear........:D:D:D

Capcom Beeker i believe You are being illogical,However i always follow orders V, Live long and keep giving orders like that!:D
    *What You think guys,Should Beaky be deprived of his command?* 250px-Plato%27s_Stepchildren_kiss.jpg

Here's one i made a little bit earlior on:
    ssme-test.jpg

Job done!:)

sts131s144.jpg

Just came accross this excellent timelapse video of the processing and launch of STS-131:)

http://www.airspacemag.com/multimedia/videos/Go-For-Launch.html

Just came accross this excellent timelapse video of the processing and launch of STS-131:)

http://www.airspacemag.com/multimedia/videos/Go-For-Launch.html

That's absolutely savage!! Great find Beeker!:)

Advertisement