Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS 131 Discovery, March 18, 2010.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

nice picture i came across of the multi purpose logistics module to be flown on STS-131,its purpose is to bring resupplys to the ISS and take home experiments and junk.Italian built its short name is Leanardo.
    429903main_131leonardoinsspf16x12_946-710.jpg

That wont be the end of Leanardo though as according to a NASA press release it will be modified and 133 will leave it attached to the station for more space.

NASA and Italian Space Agency Find New Use for Module

WASHINGTON -- NASA and the Italian Space Agency announced a new use for an existing Multi Purpose Logistics Module (MPLM) known as "Leonardo." It will be transformed into a Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) for the International Space Station.

For nearly a decade, the Italian-built logistic modules have flown inside the payload bays of NASA's shuttle fleet, successfully delivering vital hardware and supplies to the station. The new use for this proven carrier will enhance the use of the station.

Leonardo will undergo modifications to ensure safe, long-term operation as the PMM, and to increase the amount of mass it can carry to orbit. The supply-laden PMM will be flown aboard shuttle Discovery during the STS-133 mission in September and attached to the station.
    The added space within the PMM will enable efficient positioning of experiments throughout the station complex. Inside the PMM, experiments in fluid physics, materials science, biology, biotechnology and other microgravity experiments may be conducted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Roll out now put back until 05.00 on Wednesday morning due to possible poor weather.
    No rush:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Discovery on the way out to 39a.

Rollout-039.jpg

10.jpg

sc08.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Hard down...job done:)
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18252.0;attach=204880;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=18252.0;attach=204893;image

Crew at KSC for training prior to mission
    20102129.jpg

Crew at the pad during a media interview. Discovery waiting...:)
    20102105.jpg

20102098.jpg

Sunrise in Florida on April 5 is at 07:08, with the launch at 06:21 it will be a night/twilight launch which are normally quite beautiful. Launching in the dark the Shuttle quickly enters the first rays of sunshine as it climbs to orbit.
    sts119s027.jpg

• Advertisement

STS-131 General facts

131st Shuttle mission
    18th Post-Columbia mission
    106th Post-Challenger mission
    38th Flight of Discovery
    35th Night launch
    22nd Night launch off pad 39A
    78th Launch off padd 39A
    24th Night landing
    74th KSC landing
    22nd KSC night landing
    24.20 Years since STS-51L
    7.18 Years since STS-107

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition22/keys_to_station_feature.html

meanwhile come March 18th will be down to a two man crew again when expedition 22 undocks
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html?param=station

Live Video can often be found above from the ISS.

meanwhile according to NASA.s calender expedition 23 will launch on April 2nd via Soyuz just three days before STS-131 will launch.

That used to be against the rules,i don't know if it still is?since the ISS now has four docking ports?

ynotdu wrote: »
    meanwhile according to NASA.s calender expedition 23 will launch on April 2nd via Soyuz just three days before STS-131 will launch.

That used to be against the rules,i don't know if it still is?since the ISS now has four docking ports?

They deemed dual docked missions to be allowed recently but they're still reluctant to use it. If they can avoid having a Soyuz and a Shuttle there at the same time they will.

Leonardo is weighed and then loaded into the payload cannister to be readied for roll out to the launch pad on Mar 15.

Crew and Ground teams ready for flight!

They deemed dual docked missions to be allowed recently but they're still reluctant to use it. If they can avoid having a Soyuz and a Shuttle there at the same time they will.

Dunno what i was thinking in my post LL that the above is your reply to.
    On reflection when expedition 22 departs on Mar 18th it will mean only one Soyuz attached until the arrival of expedition 23.
    A Soyuz takes about 36 hours to catch up and dock with the ISS,so the configuration of the ISS will be as normal for STS-131 to launch.

A VERY tight schedule though in the event that Soyuz for some reason cannot launch would surely cause some delay to 131 as there would be 9 Astronauts on the ISS and only one Soyuz to use as a lifeboat if the shuttle sustained damage.

I wonder has NASA got a plan for that worse case scenario,like two extra soyuz ready for launch?I'm sure there is a plan i just have not heard of it?
    I'm just thinking out loud really.

Dunno what i was thinking in my post LL that the above is your reply to.
    On reflection when expedition 22 departs on Mar 18th it will mean only one Soyuz attached until the arrival of expedition 23.
    A Soyuz takes about 36 hours to catch up and dock with the ISS,so the configuration of the ISS will be as normal for STS-131 to launch.

A VERY tight schedule though in the event that Soyuz for some reason cannot launch would surely cause some delay to 131 as there would be 9 Astronauts on the ISS and only one Soyuz to use as a lifeboat if the shuttle sustained damage.

I wonder has NASA got a plan for that worse case scenario,like two extra soyuz ready for launch?I'm sure there is a plan i just have not heard of it?
    I'm just thinking out loud really.
    Atlantis would be the LON {Launch on Need} orbiter in the event of damage to Discovery. They would just have to camp out in the ISS until Atlantis launched. Poor astronauts having to wait on board the station with nothing to do except look at the Earth and universe from the cupola:D

Beeker wrote: »
    Leonardo is weighed and then loaded into the payload cannister to be readied for roll out to the launch pad on Mar 15.

Is'nt it really cool that Leanardo will become a Permanent Logistics module? Somebody was using their Loaf there!

I'm still convinced an 'Irish Mammy' works for NASA.
    "dont throw that out,I'll find a use for it!":)
    Wonder will she come up with a plan for the fully flight ready extra external tank!;)

Atlantis would be the LON {Launch on Need} orbiter in the event of damage to Discovery. They would just have to camp out in the ISS until Atlantis launched. Poor astronauts having to wait on board the station with nothing to do except look at the Earth and universe from the cupola:D

Lol Beaky Yeah a terrible fate for sure!:)

• Advertisement

Looks like Discovery is doing her best to extend the programme! Potential delay to STS-131 and it can't be fixed out at 39a.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/03/sts-131-rcs-leak-right-oms-threatens-rollback/

Looks like Discovery is doing her best to extend the programme! Potential delay to STS-131 and it can't be fixed out at 39a.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/03/sts-131-rcs-leak-right-oms-threatens-rollback/

No rush with the last few.........let them take their time:)

Testing all this week and a decision will be made at the end of the week.

Decision put off until FRR {Flight readiness review} next week.

Payload has arrived at the pad. Still no decision on launch.

20102363.jpg

Yeah looks that way....hold on to one of your easter eggs for the big day:D:D

Yeah looks that way....hold on to one of your easter eggs for the big day:D:D

I'll save my 'MARS' easter egg for launch!:D

I,ve decided to unsubscribe from boards.ie,gonna miss You guys!
    That includes ALL on the 127/8/9 threads and the Space/Astronomy forum!

God speed 131!

God speed Ya'll:)

• Advertisement

I,ve decided to unsubscribe from boards.ie,gonna miss You guys!
    That includes ALL on the 127/8/9 threads and the Space/Astronomy forum!

God speed 131!

God speed Ya'll:)

Don't Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement