Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS 131 Discovery, March 18, 2010.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210026;image

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

all looking good :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Oh yeah! makes the heart beat faster every time:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210036;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210038;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210046;image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Woohoo!!!! Fantastic stuff!!:D

Mach 17 12000mph now:)
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210052;image

Single engine press to MECO.....go baby go:D

Engine shut down, tank separation............175000mph...in space:)

Very smooth countdown and launch. Great to see, pity they are giving it all up.

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210064;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210066;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21112.0;attach=210068;image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Woo-Hoo they are relativly safe now! Looks like You's can open the spare Easter eggs now:)

They are all going so well now makes the heart sink,Pffffttttt to Augustine and his 1 in 8 chance of failure.They are flying now as if they could have continued forever:(

Great stuff,launch first time in perfect conditions,launch looked clean.:)

ynotdu wrote: »
    Woo-Hoo they are relativly safe now! Looks like You's can open the spare Easter eggs now:)

They are all going so well now makes the heart sink,Pffffttttt to Augustine and his 1 in 8 chance of failure.They are flying now as if they could have continued forever:(

The return to flight launches post- Columbia have been the cleanest and safest ever. Makes their retirement all the more puzzling!

lord lucan wrote: »
    The return to flight launches post- Columbia have been the cleanest and safest ever. Makes their retirement all the more puzzling!
    Makes me mad:mad:

Beeker wrote: »
    Makes me mad:mad:

Yep my head is full of "if only.................... about the STS:(

lord the feed from Nasa was worst ever for time! sky almost a full three minutes ahead

Edit that posting of Launch was however the FASTEST i've ever seen LL :-)

Edit that posting of Launch was however the FASTEST i've ever seen LL :-)

I'm quick and i'm good!:D

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm quick and i'm good!:D

Still bringing sex into it i see:D

Beeker on about Soyuz:confused:

Strange days indeed!:)

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

How do they manage the tank separation? Is it some sort of remote pyrotechnic charge on the bolts that fix the vehicle to the tanks?

Trotter wrote: »
    How do they manage the tank separation? Is it some sort of remote pyrotechnic charge on the bolts that fix the vehicle to the tanks?

A combo of Pyrotechnic charge and vent valves iirc.

I am slowly starting to embrase the Soyuz:o The only show in town soon.
    Good to see you back ynotdu:)

Trotter wrote: »
    After the engines are shut off the orbiter computers command the external tank separation, the 3 bolts attaching it to the orbiter are severed by pyrotechnic devices. All done automatically.

18761436.jpg

20102533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Looked like a perfect launch. Any idea of the soonest we can see a pass? Nasa are giving it the 11th?

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Kilkenny

Just watching NASA TV...

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Looked like a perfect launch. Any idea of the soonest we can see a pass? Nasa are giving it the 11th?

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Kilkenny

Just watching NASA TV...
    11th looks like it OK. Early morning passes from that date.

Advertisement