Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS 131 Discovery, March 18, 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thanks Beeker, as it say morning passes. Was hoping to get my kids to see it again. Chances of getting them out of the sack at dawn to stand in the back garden........Zero :D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

iceage wrote: »
    Thanks Beeker, as it say morning passes. Was hoping to get my kids to see it again. Chances of getting them out of the sack at dawn to stand in the back garden........Zero :D.
    Don't I know....have tried but gave up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Beeker wrote: »
    11th looks like it OK. Early morning passes from that date.

A few cloudless skies wouldn't go astray either!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Looks like Discoverys Ku band antenna system has failed. The computer controlled antenna is used as a radar dish during rendezvous operations and to transmit high-speed data, including television, to the ground via NASA communications satellites.
    This will mean no TV from the Shuttle before docking or after undocking. The antenna cannot be used for the docking either but they have a backup plan for this, so no real problem. The Ku antenna can be seen in the photo below sticking out to the right.
    ku_2.jpg

It's ok,NASA have a contingency for the contingency!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Sorry i never did get round to learning multiquote, but Lol to the posts about getting kids out of bed early morning:)

in as much as i could i listened to the post launch press conference,they reported 4 known foam strikes but none they considered dangerous as yet.

They tried a second Satellite to relay via the KU Antenna after its first fail as well as a power down and power up,all to no avail,it sounded ominous about the chance of a docking with the ISS,however NASA quickly reminded that there is another way other than KU in Radar mode using a system that includes laser and GPS{don't Ya just love NASA's back-up culture?:) certainly the crew of Apollo 13 would never have got home without it!}

So the usual inspection of the tiles via a camera at the end of the robotic arm will be recorded and sent to NASA via the ISS KU antenna, once both are docked.

The pity is there will be no pictures live from the Shuttle's flight deck as it approaches the ISS{brilliant one's on 130!}and none from either crafts during the undocking and fly-around,
    I love the live video from a Shuttle as it flys around the Awesome ISS close-up!

can't remember which one of a very recent Shuttle flights were the pilot kept asking could he switch from Radar to Com as he flew around the ISS in order to show what a view he was having!NASA had to remind him that it would be very very nice but they would prefer if he stayed on Radar rather than Crash into the ISS!:D

Thought i better post this before I may well lose My KU or even S-band way to communicate with boards once the office staff return tomorrow:D

Mike Massimino for Taoiseach!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am slowly starting to embrase the Soyuz:o The only show in town soon.
    Good to see you back ynotdu:)

Hoi Beaky.I am the terrible speller around here,Your grammar is usually PeRfIk:confused:

see the way you spelled embrace?

Where You being truly honest when You said it was an Easter egg You were saving up for launch day?:pac::pac::pac::)

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hoi Beaky.I am the terrible speller around here,Your grammar is usually PeRfIk:confused:

see the way you spelled embrace?

Where You being truly honest when You said it was an Easter egg You were saving up for launch day?:pac::pac::pac::)
    You got me:D

You got me:D

Lol, just tuned into NASA TV and they say that tomorrow mornings pilot led docking will be the first since STS-92!They also said that the crew of STS-131 had last practised for this just last March.

Lol, just tuned into NASA TV and they say that tomorrow mornings pilot led docking will be the first since STS-92!They also said that the crew of STS-131 had last practised for this just last March.
    These guys are well trained and could do it blindfolded:)
    They astronauts carried out a detailed inspection of the shuttle's carbon composite nose cap and wing leading edge panels early today, storing video files on board because of a Ku-band antenna failure that is preventing high-speed data transmission to mission control.
    Docking is due around 08:44 tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

These guys are well trained and could do it blindfolded:)
    They astronauts carried out a detailed inspection of the shuttle's carbon composite nose cap and wing leading edge panels early today, storing video files on board because of a Ku-band antenna failure that is preventing high-speed data transmission to mission control.
    Docking is due around 08:44 tomorrow morning.

Beeker after getting all the information that i did not know already from posters on 127,8.9.30, I think I could pilot it to a safe docking blindfolded Myself:D

and dont forget the RCC (reinforced carbon carbon:p on the leading edge of the wings!.....heck what was the use of learning it if i can't pass it on!:))

ISS passing over the Kennedy Space Center before launch of Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Looks that way. We might have Stargate, Kevster, Capt'n Midnight,12april1981, Jumpguy or any of the others we normally see, but it wont be the same with ynotdu:(

Thanks Beeker , hi everyone , sorry am out of action with a bad flu :mad:
    Been trying to follow the thread but with the sinus pain on my eyeballs its hard to even look at the monitor , poxy flu i hate it , but i AM here in spirit !

Glad to see ynotdu back ;)

Regards
    Stargate

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210666;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210670;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210673;image

Docking complete.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210677;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210715;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210721;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21140.0;attach=210722;image

Beeker! Thanks for keeping the flag flying! Great screenshots and it took place in daylight always a great sight!

I am curious could You detect any tension due to the extra tricky docking?I know it would be the day hell freeze's over before any broadcasting from NASA would include hysterical screaming:). but You know what i mean that sometimes the audio does give things away?

Stargate thank you for your as ever kind words.(had a sore head myself a few times over Easter,but it was self inflicted;))get well soon!

Calling LL,Where are You? All points bulletin for Lord Lucan:)

I'm here!

****Waves****

Just being watching replays of docking as i couldn't get to see it this morning. Sounded just like every other docking to me,the Ku band antenna issue made no difference to them. They train for every eventuality and even things that have an almost impossible chance of happening,better to be safe than sorry.:)

Beeker! Thanks for keeping the flag flying! Great screenshots and it took place in daylight always a great sight!

I am curious could You detect any tension due to the extra tricky docking?I know it would be the day hell freeze's over before any broadcasting from NASA would include hysterical screaming:). but You know what i mean that sometimes the audio does give things away?

Stargate thank you for your as ever kind words.(had a sore head myself a few times over Easter,but it was self inflicted;))get well soon!

No tension that I could detect. All very cool and professional:) What a job:D

This mornings Rendezvous Pitch Maneuver

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm here!

****Waves****

Just being watching replays of docking as i couldn't get to see it this morning. Sounded just like every other docking to me,the Ku band antenna issue made no difference to them. They train for every eventuality and even things that have an almost impossible chance of happening,better to be safe than sorry.:)

Lol at the Waves bit LL!
    Obviously Astronaut John Young has completed his gender change and was the pilot using an alias,in contrast to Crippen who's gender change meant that this flight is historic for the amount of female Astronauts{had to justify My post with a bit of on-topic:)}Crippens heartbeat would have been fun if NASA still gave out that information:D

Lol at the Waves bit LL!
    Obviously Astronaut John Young has completed his gender change and was the pilot using an alias,in contrast to Crippen who's gender change meant that this flight is historic for the amount of female Astronauts{had to justify My post with a bit of on-topic:)}Crippens heartbeat would have been fun if NASA still gave out that information:D

It's quite some crew on the ISS right now. There's 4 women and 2 Japanese astronauts up there.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's quite some crew on the ISS right now. There's 4 women and 2 Japanese astronauts up there.:)

but the Japanese Astronauts are as highly trained as the others, right?

unlike some recent problems with Japanese cars the Japanese portions of the ISS as well as the Japanese Astronauts do know the diffrience between speeding up and slowing down right?

*ynotdu shudders at thought of what the next re-supply mission by the Japanese built H11TV might do as it approaches the ISS:eek:*

but the Japanese Astronauts are as highly trained as the others, right?

unlike some recent problems with Japanese cars the Japanese portions of the ISS as well as the Japanese Astronauts do know the diffrience between speeding up and slowing down right?

*ynotdu shudders at thought of what the next re-supply mission by the Japanese built H11TV might do as it approaches the ISS:eek:*

Once the Japs don't send PriusI up we should be alright. Sure there's only 10 years of the ISS left!

:D:D:D:D:eek::eek:

Boosters were returned to the Cape this evening.
    img9629p.jpg

img9361j.jpg

img9441o.jpg

They're some beasts them SRB's,they don't look much semi-submerged in water.

• Advertisement

Some nice shots from the launch:)

sts131s083.jpg

sts131s076.jpg

sts131s077.jpg

Advertisement