Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got home oil delivered to rented house and they have filled it to the max

Options
  • 02-12-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Only requested 200euro on the phone however come home to find a bill for 978euro - they filled the entire tank.

They aint getting no 978euros from me as i dont have it and live alone in this rented house.

any ideas? office closed till tomorrow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Call them tomorrow and tell them to take out €778 euro's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Call them tomorrow and tell them to take out €778 euro's worth

can they do that? didnt realise that at all(being a girl..)..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iguana2005 wrote: »
    can they do that? didnt realise that at all(being a girl..)..
    As far as I know, no, as once the oil is in your tank, it mixes with the oil already there, and with any dirt currently in your tank. Because of this, they can't resell the oil if they take it out, and thus I doubt they will.

Tell them that you asked for only €200, and it's not your problem that they overfilled it. If they say they'll be around at X date, please try to get a male scumbag/rough/built looking friend around when they come for the oil, so they don't try to bully the money out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

the_syco wrote: »
    If they say they'll be around at X date, please try to get a male scumbag/rough/built looking friend around when they come for the oil, so they don't try to bully the money out of you.

Or just stand up for yourself and just keep repeating "not my problem". If they're bugging you try "I still fail to see how your error is my problem, I've offered you the oil back and now I'll have to ask you to leave". Make sure you pay the €200 you asked for promptly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I used to get oil,if you want to keep it pay it on a budget and pay by the week ,then you have it and don't have to refill ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

shqipshume wrote: »
    I used to get oil,if you want to keep it pay it on a budget and pay by the week ,then you have it and don't have to refill ;)

All well and good if you own the house or plan to rent it for a good while longer. If the lease is up soon or the OP is moving out, they dont wanna be leaving 700 odd quids worth in the tank for the next tenant/landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Stee wrote: »
    All well and good if you own the house or plan to rent it for a good while longer. If the lease is up soon or the OP is moving out, they dont wanna be leaving 700 odd quids worth in the tank for the next tenant/landlord.

He never said he was moving out so is all well in good if he is long term tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

the_syco wrote: »
    As far as I know, no, as once the oil is in your tank, it mixes with the oil already there, and with any dirt currently in your tank. Because of this, they can't resell the oil if they take it out, and thus I doubt they will.

Tell them that you asked for only €200, and it's not your problem that they overfilled it. If they say they'll be around at X date, please try to get a male scumbag/rough/built looking friend around when they come for the oil, so they don't try to bully the money out of you.

They certainly CAN remove the oil. The pumps on those lorries work both ways. Once they realise it's their mistake, they will remove it for you .

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Chevy RV wrote: »
    They certainly CAN remove the oil. The pumps on those lorries work both ways. Once they realise it's their mistake, they will remove it for you .

Regards,

Chevy RV

as stated they can but won't as it will be contaminated with the oil and other dirt currently in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tantalum

That's very cheeky of them. Two more issues with all this:

1. If they have filled the tank right to the brim, there's no room for expansion. This is irresponsible on their part. A normal household tank has a ~1040 litre capacity leaving some headroom for expansion and safe filling.

2. €978 is excessive. I just got a quote of €529 for 1000 litres. Last June, it was €480.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Went through that 2 years ago.
    FWIW here's what transpired...

Am a homeowner.
    Ordered 500L.
    1000L mistakenly delivered (according to them was delivery mans mistake) and I was billed for 1000L.
    I paid them for 500L only.
    Started receiving demands for payment etc.
    Spoke to their supervisors etc
    They backed off for a while still occasionally phoning / sending requests for payment.
    Eventually spoke to a pleasant chap on the phone who suggested a compromise.
    I pay for the remaining 500L - they threw in a 50e voucher and I also gained as the spot price had gone up considerably in the meantime.
    An equitable solution.

Dont know how that's going to work ultimately in your situation.
    Not your problem however, you should only pay for what you ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

what size is your tank - 978euro is a lot. Most tanks are 1300 litres in size and even if it was empty would not come to 978euro.
    Write to them informing them of when you made the phone call, approx time, what you asked for, what has eventually transpired and that you are not willing to pay the extra €778. Trust me they can suck out the fuel and re-use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

as stated they can but won't as it will be contaminated with the oil and other dirt currently in the tank.

no prob with them sucking out the excess oil, ive seen it done loads of times. any slight dirt would be at the bottom of the tank and seeing as the OP paid for 200 any dirt would not go back into the lorry.
    it would be far easier to try to arrage a payment plan and keep the full tank, if you intend staying in the house you will end up using the oil anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Keep in mind with the carbon tax they are planning to impose today- a tank of oil will most probably go up in price by between 50 and 70 Euro......?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So sell it back to them at a profit? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

smccarrick wrote: »
    Keep in mind with the carbon tax they are planning to impose today- a tank of oil will most probably go up in price by between 50 and 70 Euro......?

The introduction of a carbon tax on heating fuels is to be delayed until May next year.

Advertisement