Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud Skin; And People Who Use Black Font...

Options
  • 02-12-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

...thus rendering their text invisible.

I like a dark skin when browsing, easier on the eyes, but when someone posts in black for some strange reason best known to themselves, it's pretty much impossible to read. Is there an easy way to standardise the text colour?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its standard by default. The only real way to stop it is to get people to quit using the tags erroneously.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I would guess that explicitly black text happens when people compose their posts in word processors, and copy'n'paste them into the reply box.

It's not a bad idea from a spell checking and browser-ate-my-post perspective, but it would make me happier if people pasted into something like Notepad, then copy'n'pasted into the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OP have you tried the green skin? I find it much easier on the eyes than the standard skin (and cloud) plus it has the added advantage of not being a standard colour so when posters want to be retards you can still make out the text. Not exactly a 'real' solution but worth a try perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Thanks guys.

As I suspected, no easy solution then, at least I know I'm not alone :)

I did try the green skin before lb, actually looking at it now and it's not too bad. I might stick with it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It annoys the hell out of me as a dark skin user, ( I've tried other skins but they cause havock with my dyslexia) in PI/RI I will go and edit out those tags.

They are not needed but some posters are just not happy with default font and text colour and feel the need to put more flare on thier posts, and my response is as ever when I see it is one of extreme do not want.

DoNotWant.jpg

• Advertisement

+1 on that, I'm lucky in that I don't have to mod them (so I can just pass on to the next post!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

+1 on that, I'm lucky in that I don't have to mod them (so I can just pass on to the next post!)

Can't you just highlight the text? Doesn't that make it readable?

I can, but it's a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's incredibly bloody annoying.

Why should I have to highlight the text in order to read it? Why should reading a post require extra work on my part? It's just an added irritation. I tend to just ignore any post with added "flare", as it tends to be an accurate indication that the content isn't really worth reading.

Well you'd probably be wrong. Anyone doing it is not aware that they are annoying you. It sucks but then I never really "got" the cloud skin. They'll maybe be able to implement something to change it if you post in the dev forum or something?

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that, in this area, I'm rarely wrong.

I've yet to read a post, where the poster has edited their font/font colour and felt that my life was made in anyway better for having made the effort to read it.

I find that ignoring such posts makes me feel a lot better.

I'm not sure if there's an easy fix, Doc. I really posted here to see if I was the only one with this annoyance.

Are people aware of it? No, probably not, most of 'em who've come here in the last couple of years wouldn't have a clue who Cloud was (when's the last time he posted on Boards?), or why he had his own skin, much less the effect it has on their (to them) perfectly legible posts.

Would I look down on them, course not. I would however, like others, just ignore the posts, not out of any malevolence, or sense of satisfaction, but because I cba reading them. It's a more common problem than one might imagine. And some people do it all the time. And they are inevitably newish.

Just seems pointless not to use the standard fonts, or formatting, I guess.

Amz wrote: »

I've yet to read a post, where the poster has edited their font/font colour and felt that my life was made in anyway better for having made the effort to read it.

It's a strange aspect of a poster to make a random judgement on but each to their own I guess. Personally I prefer to judge a post based on whether or not the poster is being a complete tool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Easy fix for this, simply disable the [noparse][font] .. [/font] [/noparse] bb tags.

I tend to agree but I can't ignore them in the forums which I mod.

and it's the [noparse] [colour=black] [/colour][/noparse] which would need to be disabled.

I can't see much time being spent on it cos with the new menu coming we could loose most of the skins.

It's a strange aspect of a poster to make a random judgement on but each to their own I guess. Personally I prefer to judge a post based on whether or not the poster is being a complete tool.
    I'm willing to take the risk.

I'd rather ignore a post and risk missing out on a decent contribution, than waste time reading one, and realising that the poster is in fact, a "complete tool".

I find it makes my boards experience far more pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's incredibly bloody annoying.

Why should I have to highlight the text in order to read it? Why should reading a post require extra work on my part? It's just an added irritation. I tend to just ignore any post with added "flare", as it tends to be an accurate indication that the content isn't really worth reading.

I agree. Anything that has been written in Word has been thought out for far to long that I can be bothered with. Other than that I will highlight the text if I must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

OP have you tried the green skin? I find it much easier on the eyes than the standard skin (and cloud) plus it has the added advantage of not being a standard colour so when posters want to be retards you can still make out the text. Not exactly a 'real' solution but worth a try perhaps.

Green you say? Skin you say? will try it out.

Edit: Eh no thanks back to cloud.

D wrote: »
    Green you say? Skin you say? will try it out.

Ohohoho.
    Methinks me has spotted double meanings.
    Subliminal messages encouraging drug abuse?
    Boards should be ashamed. Death to the cloud skin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    couldn't agree more.

Wanker :P

I think it might be beneficial to everyone in this thread if I started excessively posting in black font all the time from now on just to prove a point that judging a post or poster based on their use of tags is just a teeny bit ridiculous. Of course I realise this might result in me being added to numerous ignore lists but discrimination based on colour is not ok.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think it might be beneficial to everyone in this thread if I started excessively posting in black font all the time from now on just to prove a point that judging a post or poster based on their use of tags is just a teeny bit ridiculous. Of course I realise this might result in me being added to numerous ignore lists but discrimination based on colour is not ok.
    What?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can't you just highlight the text? Doesn't that make it readable?
    All well and good until they only use black on some works or some paragraphs.

I don't do ignore lists, I will just put you on the list for a shin kicking.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The ultimate solution (and one we may move to next year) is for people to define what they want their colours to be themselves and do away with the presets of the "skins" at all.

The skins are, unintuitively, a massive massive pain it the bum for Ross. vB implements them quite retardedly and multiplys the amount of hacking and code development we have to do by 1 per skin at certain points.

So, in the future we will either move to a "1 light, 1 dark" solution, or preferably a "colour it yourselves" solution. It wont be today or tomorrow, when I say "soon" I mean next year. Possibly.

DeV.

Thank you for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This may be useful to add to your bookmarks and click in times of the dreaded black text. It did annoy me too when I was using Cloud.

This will strip away some other formatting too. If anyone wants to refine it go ahead. ;)
    javascript:(function(){var newSS, styles='* { background: black ! important; color: white !important }'; if(document.createStyleSheet) { document.createStyleSheet("javascript:'"+styles+"'"); } else { newSS=document.createElement('link'); newSS.rel='stylesheet'; newSS.href='data:text/css,'+escape(styles); document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(newSS); } })();

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I also have this minor annoyance

You can configure firefox to show all viewable text as whatever colour you want, but long story short its a pain the arse when you go to view a diff website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can the [colour="black"] code be put in the censor to remove it completely? There's never a need for black font, shirsly. It would mean that people's posts would be dotted with [/color] tags if they are copy/pasting, but it would put more pressure on people to post in the default font.

Advertisement