Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Moved

Options
  • 02-12-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Well all,

Just moved to Carlow and need help finding the following,

* Good feed, one i can take the Mrs to
    * Good Gym, no messers
    * Good Pint
    * Good barber

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Good feed:

Seven Oaks Hotel restaurant.
    Mimosa's Wine & Tapas Bar

Good Gym:

Eire Og
    Seven Oaks Hotel Gym
    Talbot Hotel Gym

Good Pint:

The Barracks
    The Irishman's (for the stout)

Good barber:

I can't comment on that.

A group of us are meeting on Friday the 11th in the barracks for pints if you're interested?
    There is a thread at the top of the Carlow page about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

new barber opened up just across from dempseys hardware, have to say I have never got a service like his around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sweeney555

Thanks folks,

homerhop - do u know the name of the barbers or website or anything, dont want to go in some where are get hacked

ShayK1 - Might head in on Friday if we finished unpacking

Will take a trip around those gyms see what they have to offer

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

sweeney555 wrote: »
    Thanks folks,

homerhop - do u know the name of the barbers or website or anything, dont want to go in some where are get hacked

ShayK1 - Might head in on Friday if we finished unpacking

Will take a trip around those gyms see what they have to offer

:)

I would strongly reccomend the new barber opposite dempseys hardware, he is only new in the area, very nice fella from monaghan, and provides a service that has been seriously lacking in carlow for years

if you need directions to anywhere just ask. We're always glad to help.

I don't know the name of the barbers but if its the place I think it is, then it has a number of old/foreign beer bottles in the window. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beverlyhillsman

looks like all has been answered in here, just a few others to mention maybe

Good feed: Lemongrass, Jasmine, Latrecs (spl)
    Good Gym: as already answered, maybe the Talbot Hotel Also
    Good Pint: Not a Massive drinker myself, depends on what atmosphere your after really
    Good barber: The Hairdressers up at closh stores in very good and only €10.00 for wash and cut.

Good Gym: as already answered, maybe the Talbot Hotel Also

*cough*
    ShayK1 wrote: »
    Good Gym:

Eire Og
    Seven Oaks Hotel Gym
    Talbot Hotel Gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Barbers: Mileys' on Dublin St.
    Always gone there anytime I home since End of Last Decade. He opened in 1997 iirc. Even when I was away for most of this decade I made a point of going even if it meant my hair & beard grow scraggly. Actually going in there Friday or Saturday so I am.

Gargle: Dinn Ri or Scraggs. Med Bar if feeling or looking a bit flush!
    Tex Mex down Brown St.'s a happening joint & Irishmans' worth a try too. Give Barracks a nod too.
    The JT (John Tyndall) used be good for gargle & carvery too til it closed-down but is in process of refurb at the moment. Bar will open first, then kitchen.

Scran: The Rooftop Restraunt in Talbot Hotel.
    McHughs' is nice for grub.
    Kylemore (?) in Carlow S.c.
    Gonna be trying Teddys' out over weekend upstairs in Fairgreen.
    Umbertos for After Pints Scran or Mizzonis on Bridewell Lane.

Quick Question: Mimosa & Jasmine.......wrecking my head (not a townie!) to think where they are. Lautrecs? Tullow St. somewhere is it?

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Stall the ball there like. Checked out the site.
    Maybe I'm a tight-fisted so & so but E22 for A Early Bird Hot Towel, Wash & Shave?
    Also where's eh, Gullys' Bar? Have Tullys' been taken-over ha!?
    Bit of competition in the Barber Market now though with O'Hara Byrne, Man Time & Mileys'. Any others I not mentioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jasmine is a chinese restaurant across from Toughers petrol station @ Closh

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm a tight-fisted so & so but E22 for A Early Bird Hot Towel, Wash & Shave?
    Bit of competition in the Barber Market now though with O'Hara Byrne, Man Time & Mileys'. Any others I not mentioning?

The place i used to go to was E20 for hot towel shave and e15 for a wash and cut.... let u know tomorrow how i get on. Shave prob expensive as they take a while

edited to ask:

Does Miley shave? If this one tomorrow is no good ill try him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Quick Question: Mimosa & Jasmine.......wrecking my head (not a townie!) to think where they are. Lautrecs? Tullow St. somewhere is it?

Mimosa = Wine bar/Tapas restaurant. Opposite the Cathedral
    Jasmine = Chinese restaurant, Staplestown road to the right of Hickson's Centra.
    Lautrecs = Brasserie restaurant, Tullow St. Opposite AIB and next door to Med bar.

The place i used to go to was E20 for hot towel shave and e15 for a wash and cut.... let u know tomorrow how i get on. Shave prob expensive as they take a while

edited to ask:

Does Miley shave? If this one tomorrow is no good ill try him
    Well truth be told I never actually saw him or assistant at it. If I find out or even ask when I in over weekend I'll post back here.
    If he does I'm gonna get done.
    Party next Saturday (Won't/Can't make Friday in Barracks but hope to move into Carlow after Budget/January!) in Wexford so save shaving if Miley does it!
    I normally just go in Once every Two Month to get Beard Trimmed & Hair Cut.

I say cut I mean razed to a Blade/Grade 3. No point dressing these things up as Emperors' New Clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Mimosa = Wine bar/Tapas restaurant. Opposite the Cathedral
    Jasmine = Chinese restaurant, Staplestown road to the right of Hickson's Centra.
    Lautrecs = Brasserie restaurant, Tullow St. Opposite AIB and next door to Med bar.

They are great directions...can't beat that!

As for Miley, not sure about the shave.
    I normally just get grade 2 at back & sides and then shorten up the top with scissors.
    I go to him for the chat about football more than anything!! He knows his stuff and is a serious Villa fan. Go to him on a Sat afternoon as Soccer Saturday is on his TV in your face!! I love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Gullys is a student bar right baside the Temple nightclub. A nice place for the craic.....STUDENTS only tho.... no oldies hehehe
    The bouncers there are a bit of craic also (As I stated in another thread) There last Wed night and the two bouncers really got into the spirit of the night, while doing their job also.

Well,

Just tried the seven oaks, its just alright. Had a steak and wasnt anything to remember,

anywhere else good for a steak

Teach Dolmen or if you fancy a little drive Germaine's of Baltinglass

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

Lotus chinese restaurant is nice to eat.i go there a lot. One of the guy told me they're having a x'mas special soon, he said about 18.50 for 4 course meal. But I don't know when are they starting. So you can call them to find out?
    ** oh and they do steaks too.

Mimosa is very nice for atmosphere and chatting and some wine,but not a great place for eatting I don't think. I like the potato bravas bigger portions than other dishes;)

Med bar is quite nice. and Barracks. Nice and comfy and quite new.

Looks like ill have a busy few weeks trying out these places :)

How far of a spin in baltinglass?

Will prob need to join a gym now, sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

Edited to say:

Tried the Med Bar its a nice spot

baltinglass is about half and hour. I'll google map it and find out.

Google says 28 minutes and 15.8 miles. Thats from Shamrock Sq to Germaines.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R431%2FStaplestown+Rd&daddr=52.941401,-6.706829&hl=en&geocode=FYw2JgMd-laW_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&sll=52.941331,-6.707255&sspn=0.000784,0.002411&ie=UTF8&z=19

• Advertisement

Cheers ShayK1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Teach Dolmen or if you fancy a little drive Germaine's of Baltinglass

+1 on Germaine's, them steaks are savage served on sizzling hot cast iron skillets. Mmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If you are spreading your wings outside of carlow town Kellys in portlaois do a very good steak.

k, I've edited and removed some posts because there's too much good info in this thread to just delete it altogether.

Regards,
    ShayK1
    Carlow Mod

Advertisement