Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-rated bands (in your own opinion)

Options
  • 02-12-2009 9:33pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, you all have them, that band(s) that nearly everyone seems to love, and you just don't get. So let's share, as long as it is rock or metal :P

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Controversy time! Metallica. I love Metallica but they are horribly over-rated.

Pantera and Megadeth are another 2 that people put on pedestals thats I don't see as particularly amazing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Nirvana. They're seriously not THAT special, the only thing that made them as famous as they are was the drama surrounding Cobain and Love.

I like them and all but.. meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tool. A very aptly named band.:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Controversy time!
    Not the first time I've had that used following something I've said :P

I agree with all of the stuff used so far, but I'd also like to mention; Pendulum, The Prodigy, Guns n' Roses, Foo Fighters, or nearly any band that can be considered emo.

Denny M wrote: »
    Guns n' Roses
    Never understood why these were/are so big

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

I can see this thread going downhill fast. Should be interesting!

In my opinion, Megadeth and Anthrax are very over-rated. That's probably because I'm not much of a fan of either of them. I've never really got into their stuff.

I agree with ScienceNerd about Pantera and Metallica too. I like Metallica a lot, well most of their stuff anyway - with the exception of 3 albums. They are very talented, yes. But, they're not as amazing as people like to make them out to be. As for Pantera, they have a couple of good songs - Walk being really good, especially for festivals.

There are plenty more, but they're the main ones that spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

All these bull**** indie band dickheads who cant play their instruments like the artic monkeys etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

All these bull**** indie band dickheads who cant play their instruments like the artic monkeys etc etc

Eh no, just no.

I never understood the hype around the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I like their early punk material, but any fans I talk to usually don't know about that stuff.

More recently, a load of lads in work kept going on and on about Bullet for My Valentine and insisted they weren't emo. Got a lend of one album. Absolutely terrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Led Zep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Arcade Fire - bunch of Mercury Rev wannabes. Also Mercury Rev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tool are brilliant!

Dream Theater are overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

what???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

U2 (not **** but nothing special either) , The Killers (generic ****e), Snow Patrol (more radio friendly crap) , Metallica (don't get their appeal at all), The Sex Pistols (influential yes...good:no) Greenday (horrible in every way), Coldplay (one decent album and then ran out of ideas), The Eagles (most overrated classic rock band), Kiss (cheese in audio form) , Oasis (like U2 mediocre at best)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Notorious wrote: »
    Eh no, just no.

I never understood the hype around the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I like their early punk material, but any fans I talk to usually don't know about that stuff.

Typo? They play funk.

But yea, wrecks my head when people just think their career started with By the Way. "Ooh jah, I'm a huge Chili's fan. I just like, love the Zephyr Song" :mad:

A little part of me died when Anthony Kiedis learned to sing and they became radio friendly. :(

As for over rated bands, I have to say Metallica. It's like the posters here are obsessed with them. Every second thread is about bloody Metallica. Let's face it, they haven't realeased a decent album since 1991. Riding the waves of their former glory all the way to the bank from ticket sales and merchandise sold to hardcore 14 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Probably Pantera. CFH is a great album and I like a couple of songs from Vulgar Display of Power but the rest is a bit meh IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Slipknot, Machine Head, Pantera...few bands like that. People tell me Dream Theater sound like all other metal bands and place these on a pedastel....at least they change their songs.* Hate that generic heavy metal stuff, prob cos they were shoved down my throat few years back. Have tried again, but the originality of fast-as-hell double bass constantly and chugging riffs isn't all that great.

U2, and many modern rock/metal bands included there too.

*remember, its opinion:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Typo? They play funk.

Well I meant along the lines of "Catholic School Girls Rule".

I'd also agree with you on Metallica. Great, but not godly.

Notorious wrote: »
    Well I meant along the lines of "Catholic School Girls Rule".

I'd also agree with you on Metallica. Great, but not godly.

Great track that. Kinda punk feel to it alright. I remember being horrified when I was old enough to understand the lyrics :D

I'm a Metallica fan and go see them but I'm aware that there are *shock* other bands out there to listen to. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Led Zep

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unless your favourite band is the Beatles your statment is invalid! haha! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

nine inch nails adn trents solo
    couple of good songs but nothing much,
    give me faith no more/stp/metallica any day

oh yeah metallica nut here, but last couple albums not great and tjats coming from a mad metallica fan, who used to worship lars and co...till I met them :rolls eyes)

• Advertisement

yeahme wrote: »
    mad metallica fan, who used to worship lars and co...till I met them :rolls eyes)

Why am I not surprised? ;)

magma69 wrote: »
    U2 (not **** but nothing special either) , The Killers (generic ****e), Snow Patrol (more radio friendly crap) , Metallica (don't get their appeal at all), The Sex Pistols (influential yes...good:no) Greenday (horrible in every way), Coldplay (one decent album and then ran out of ideas), The Eagles (most overrated classic rock band), Kiss (cheese in audio form) , Oasis (like U2 mediocre at best)

I agree with everything here....

Except that KISS RULE! They're supposed to be cheesy, it's the charm. If there's a better track than Love Gun, I haven't heard it. :D

Check out Beth or Going Blind. They're really good slow songs.

Another one I'd like to add is Muse, very good band, but nothing more than that imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

yeahme wrote: »
    nine inch nails adn trents solo
    couple of good songs but nothing much,
    give me faith no more/stp/metallica any day

oh yeah metallica nut here, but last couple albums not great and tjats coming from a mad metallica fan, who used to worship lars and co...till I met them :rolls eyes)

Really? Are they not nice people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I never got into Iron Maiden and to this day I don't see the appeal. Did Bruce Dickinson start the band so he could fly them everywhere himself??? lol

All this new stuff like Arctic Monkies (fitting name), coldplay and all that crap is so generic it's unreal. True pub music which (in my opinon which you all are entitled to) sucks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Really? Are they not nice people?

Well I think Lars isn't anyway, don't know about the others.

Anyway I think Nirvana are highly over-rated. But what annoys me most about Nirvana isn't actually the band, but the f*cking diehard Nirvana fans. i mean seriously they seem to think Curt was the biggest thing in music or something. I remember one fan on another internet site got a tattoo of Curt Cobain on his chest, a big one and even had a picture to show us. I was like what the f*ck. I don't normally call people stupid but I thought this guy was a real moron. I also noticed that on weird Al Yankovich's spoof song Smells Like Nirvana, all the diehards are defending Curt and calling Weird Al all the names going just becuase he made the song. Weird Al got permission to do the song and even Curt Cobain liked it, but apparently people think Weird Al is spitting on Curt's grave or something. Honest to god just thinking about them makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I never got into Iron Maiden and to this day I don't see the appeal. Did Bruce Dickinson start the band so he could fly them everywhere himself??? lol

Bruce Dickinson wasn't the original singer. My favourite album by them is actually their first wich had Paul Di'Anno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Machine Head & Lamb of God..... chancers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Tool are brilliant!

I know its all opinion but please explain :eek::eek::eek:

Master musicians and writers of music. The side projects are top notch too.

Agree about Tool; great band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me it's the likes of The Killers etc. Also U2 bugs me a lot. With thire new stage, saying it is the first time anythink like it was ever done. But Metallica had virtually the same thing in '91 with their in the round stage (very similar to "The Claw")

Advertisement